Underrated
37 28%
Overrated
96 72%
Voters: 133.
Page 1 of 3
A much contraversial subject

Your opinions?

Mine personally is that hes overrated but thats just my opinion *puts up flame shield*
Quote by powerhead
Mentallica, i think you just made my drive shank crank

Quote by beadhangingOne

You sir, are a true hero.

Quote by silversoulcage
Dude, seriously, you're an ass hole. That place where **** comes out, yea that's you man.
I personally think that Hetfield is the superior guitarist in that band.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

He's terribly overrated along with the rest of Metallica
OAKLAND A's - 9 TIME CHAMPS!!

DUKE BLUE DEVILS - 4 TIME CHAMPS & 19 TIME ACC CHAMPS!!

OAKLAND RAIDERS - 4 TIME LEAGUE CHAMPS!!

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS - 3 TIME LEAGUE CHAMPS!!

SAN JOSE SHARKS - NONE LOL!!
I love Metallica but I think Kirk is a little overrated...Cliff was the driving force in the early days...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Wow, im really suprised. I was expecting Metallica fanboys to shank me.
Quote by powerhead
Mentallica, i think you just made my drive shank crank

Quote by beadhangingOne

You sir, are a true hero.

Quote by silversoulcage
Dude, seriously, you're an ass hole. That place where **** comes out, yea that's you man.
Quote by Rust_in_Peace34

I agree with that, in terms of control over the instrument, precision and so on.

Although, Hammett is still better at playing lead (except Nothing Else Matters). Whenever Hetfield tries to play fast leads they sound like crap IMO.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
I say overrated - but isn't there an in-between?
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by Rust_in_Peace34
I personally think that Hetfield is the superior MUSICIAN in that band.

*Fixed*

i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
hetfield is a better musician but kirk is the one who can bring speed thats all
Quote by hethamulburton
*Fixed*

Really?....I always thought Kirk was the better musician but then again Hetfield doesn't have the expression of solos.....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Kirk is a decent guitarist IMO, but he's overrated by the Metallica fanboys.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by BladeSlinger
Really?....I always thought Kirk was the better musician but then again Hetfield doesn't have the expression of solos.....

Hetfield writes the songs, sometimes even the solos, and in Live **** Binge and Purge he beats Lars at a drum duel and aside from Cliff, who James admits was the best that's ever graced their band, can outbass anyone else they've had. Not to mention, Mustaine who has a similar style, simply writes better material than Kirk.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
Kirk Hammet is a great guitarist. I think most people realize this, and most people realize he is nothing more than this. So I would not say he is overrated.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by hethamulburton
Hetfield writes the songs, sometimes even the solos, and in Live **** Binge and Purge he beats Lars at a drum duel and aside from Cliff, who James admits was the best that's ever graced their band, can outbass anyone else they've had. Not to mention, Mustaine who has a similar style, simply writes better material than Kirk.

Yea, I knew he could out drum Lars and he wrote a large number of songs but I thought Kirk wrote all his solos.....I have gained more respect for Hetfield.....and less for Lars who was out drummed by the rhythm guitarist/singer.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
^ Kirk does come up with all his solos. James sometimes plays his own in the songs though.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

Quote by Rust_in_Peace34

+1, Hetfield is one of the best rythym players ever. I think once James let Kirk and Jason have more input, that they went downhill, not just musically but also lyrically. Kirk is a very overrated guitarist and is not very creative with his solos. I find him to be very repeatitive. He doesn't know how to use a wah pedal correctly either.
didnt vote, i think he's not underrated and i dont think it matters if he's overrated.

he has probably influenced more kids to play solo then any other guitarist

and who the hell has not at least learn or attempt to learn a metallica solo in their guitar life
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Who cares? It doesn't really matter.
Quote by The Spoon
i wasnt wikipediaing blow job okay, it just happened

Quote by primusfan

one time i fucked a sofa.

Quote by Draken
Freedom of speach?

on a private website?

Based in Russia?

i'm sorry comrade, but you fail.
Quote by BladeSlinger
I love Metallica but I think Kirk is a little overrated...Cliff was the driving force in the early days...

+10000000000
"My strength is my determination" - Randy Rhoads (1956-1982)

Quote by LedZeppelin
Life is not an isolated moment, so don't live it as such.

Quote by bendystraw
art rock? isn't all rock art?
Quote by ~windrider~
In my opinion, they should have just kept Mustaine.

While I think Metallica would have been a lot better with Mustaine, I am glad that they kicked him out because then we wouldn't have Megadeth. Kicking him out resulted in two great bands rather than just one.
He's OK. Nothing really special, but he can pull off some good stuff.
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Quote by IronMaiden5
+1, Hetfield is one of the best rythym players ever. I think once James let Kirk and Jason have more input, that they went downhill, not just musically but also lyrically. Kirk is a very overrated guitarist and is not very creative with his solos. I find him to be very repeatitive. He doesn't know how to use a wah pedal correctly either.

I'm lost here, exactly when did Jason have much input in the band? I think during the entire time he was in the band he has credits on only 3 or 4 songs: My Friend of Misery and Where the Wild Things Are being the only couple that i can remember. In fact, during the Newsted era, if i'm not mistaken..... all the album specified "all songs written by Hetfield and Ulrich except: (instert 1 or two tracks here)." So, no....... you can not blame Metallica's slide in quality on two members that had little to no input in the song writing process.

As for Hammet....... in the 80s he was average at best. With his current all blues scales covered up with a wah wah pedal style, he just sounds cliche.
Quote by IronMaiden5

+2
Can I just vote rated? He used to be awesome, but now he's old, and his hair's falling out, and the perm doesn't work for him anymore.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
Quote by Altered_Carbon
He's OK. Nothing really special, but he can pull off some good stuff.

I agree. He isn't the best player, but he has played some memorable solos. I would even go as far as saying that in some instances he has been amazing, but that isn't a constant for him.

EDIT: And I agree with Second Rate as well. I don't think you can blame Kirk Hammett and Jason Newsted for what you see as a drop in quality of the music.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

Quote by terrencemaddox
I agree with that, in terms of control over the instrument, precision and so on.

Although, Hammett is still better at playing lead (except Nothing Else Matters). Whenever Hetfield tries to play fast leads they sound like crap IMO.

Exactly. I went through a BIG Metallica phase where all I would listen to was Metallica and I thought Hammett was so awesome. I now realize that he isn't all that. He is a good guitarist, but if I had to pick one, I would pick Hetfield.

I can't really say Hammett is overrated though because all I ever hear people say about him is that he actually is overrated.
Quote by Say Ocean
If you like ridiculous amounts of wah, every solo sounding the same, and generic pentatonic stuff, hes great!

Well, I see where you are coming from, but some of his stuff stands out IMO...
Miss Scourge? PM me.

Quote by 666Sabbath666
He's terribly overrated along with the rest of Metallica

Couldn't have put it better myself.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Personally i think the band as a whole is over-rated, especially kirk, but by the same token, kirk inspires thousands of kids to pick up the guitar and learn his chops then move onto more technical players like Friedman and Malmsteen, so I have respect for him.
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
Does it really matter? I'm getting sick of all these under/overrated threads every day..

Kirk's great, he repeats a lot of stuff, but doesn't every guitarist has a bunch of a licks that you can recognize of other solos? He's done some great solos I think, The Unforgiven for example, how awesome is that?
We are "PSYCHONAUT", Psychedelic/Stoner/Sludge from Belgium.

Check out our recordings and shows here:

BandCamp
YouTube
FaceBook
Quote by BladeSlinger

Cliff burton was a remarkable member of metallica but he never was the driving force.
Page 1 of 3