I need to replace the crap pickups on my cheap beginner Ibanez. These two are the only ones that i have access to, so either The Steve Vai Evolution, or an EMG (this is for the bridge pickup). Which one is better for what?
EMG- Metal, that is all.

Evo- Everything including metal.
Guitar
Lyon LI15
Epi Beast
Berhinger V-ampire LX210
Danelectro grilled cheese & t-bone

Bass:
Peavey 112
Ibanez gsr200

Saving for Bugera 333 $300 / $599 :|

Quote by Doppelgänger
Agreed. There's no point in doing anything if she looks like shit.
Quote by Guitarplaymetal
EMG- Metal, that is all.

Evo- Everything including metal.

do you know something about being biased?

however, it is kind of an okay suggestion as far as TS's genre preference goes... if he plays metal.

but evo won't be that great for blues. they can never beat Dave Stephens.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
that guy's got a point: EMG's are only really good for metal.. they were made for metal, anway.
but it all depends on your amp and style, as others are saying.
Actually i have played a set of EMG hz4's (passive) and a set of Evo's on a palomino8 and i prefered the sound of the evo's. Then again im assuming that he wants both cleans and distorted. EMG's generally have a slightly muddier clean. They are made for metal. Evo's are for high gain genres but do cleans very well. But as everyone has said the amp makes the tone for the most part.

And sorry to those who thought that i was just being a douche and saying " OMG EVOS R TEH ROXORZZ!!one!!!11!!1" not my intention. just trying to direct him to a more versatile pick up.
Guitar
Lyon LI15
Epi Beast
Berhinger V-ampire LX210

Bass:
Peavey 112
Ibanez gsr200

Quote by Doppelgänger
Quote by Guitarplaymetal
Actually i have played a set of EMG hz4's (passive) and a set of Evo's on a palomino8 and i prefered the sound of the evo's. Then again im assuming that he wants both cleans and distorted. EMG's generally have a slightly muddier clean. They are made for metal. Evo's are for high gain genres but do cleans very well. But as everyone has said the amp makes the tone for the most part.

And sorry to those who thought that i was just being a douche and saying " OMG EVOS R TEH ROXORZZ!!one!!!11!!1" not my intention. just trying to direct him to a more versatile pick up.

hZ's are a poor measure of EMGs...Nothing like their actives.....
Quote by forsaknazrael
hZ's are a poor measure of EMGs...Nothing like their actives.....

I was assuming since its a cheap guitar, that probably didnt have actives in it at the start that he wasn't going to build and route the pockets for the battery and such that go along with actives.
Guitar
Lyon LI15
Epi Beast
Berhinger V-ampire LX210

Bass:
Peavey 112
Ibanez gsr200

Quote by Doppelgänger
Quote by Guitarplaymetal
I was assuming since its a cheap guitar, that probably didnt have actives in it at the start that he wasn't going to build and route the pockets for the battery and such that go along with actives.

You don't always need to rout a cavity for the battery. It can often fit in the original cavity.
depending on the ibanez model, it depends. i dont think the gax line would have enough room, to where a battery would fit without knocking some stuff around.
Guitar
Lyon LI15
Epi Beast
Berhinger V-ampire LX210

Bass:
Peavey 112
Ibanez gsr200

Quote by Doppelgänger
I have this **** marshall at the moment, but once I have enough money I'll probably buy a palomino.
Dimarzio Super Distortion.

PM if you'd like to collaborate on any rock/hard rock/metal stuff
      Quote by Thekillerbob
      I have this **** marshall at the moment, but once I have enough money I'll probably buy a palomino.

Okay, well then I wouldn't waste money on pickups just yet. Pickups can cost around 120-200 dollars, at least. That's a lot of money that can go towards a new amp.

Also, you forgot to mention what kind of music you played..
      ^that and it's easier to get pickups that will sound good with your amp than it is to get an amp that will sound good with your pickups.
      Not taking any online orders.