I was just wondering, to achieve high gain on an amp that can't do it by itself, do you:

1. use a distortion pedal and turn the gain up high on it, then run through the amp's clean channel.

OR

2. put your amp on the dirty channel with a fair bit of the amp's gain on, and use an OD pedal to increase that to a higher level.

Thanks
Just play around with it. Find your own sound.
Quote by NovaLau
i almost had a threesome..i just needed 2 more people
most people run it through the dirty channel, so you can keep your cleans clean, and so you have two levels of distortion, a milder just through your amp, than a harsher one after you add the pedal
Depends on what kind of amp it is. With a solidstate amp, the second option there won't work very well...
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
It's a matter of choice really. Personally, i would put my amp on the drive channel and use a tubescreamer.
Quote by makuserusukotto
most people run it through the dirty channel, so you can keep your cleans clean, and so you have two levels of distortion, a milder just through your amp, than a harsher one after you add the pedal

I hate to break it to you mate, but your cleans would still be clean. Whatever channel you use it on, theres still 2 "levels" of distortion.

I personally prefer to use an OD pedal on my dirty channel, unless I'm using a single channel tube amp. Then I use distortion and keep the amp as clean as possible.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this