Hello, my name is Michael and I am new to the forum. I graduated from a music school with a degree in guitar, so I am able to help, if you have any questions concerning technical difficulties you might have. I am a classical guitarist, but I know a lot of different types of music.
You will be hearing from me quite a bit on the forum in the coming weeks. I love posting guitar info! I have just recently created a website with the purpose of inspiring guitarists. It contains the story of how I started playing when I was seventeen and then went on studying guitar at a world renowned university with world renowned players, including Eliot Fisk. There are also recordings of really neat pieces, photos, and a blog on composers, for anyone that wants to better their general knowledge. I would really like to know what you think. Don't worry, I am not trying to sell anything! I am really just trying to share my ability with others, inspire them to have the love for the guitar that I do, and also give them a great message. Don't ever give up and play hard!
ferrisguitar.com
Beautiful story! I play classical guitar too now but I am only 15 years old. One question though: Why didn't you're father want you to become a musician?
He himself was a musician and, I guess, had bad experiences and did not want his son to do the same thing. A bit strange, but he doesn't think that anymore
Michael Ferris
ferrisguitar.com
Wow, how old are you now? I'm kind of baffled on why you started playing so late...well, no offense, I mean, it's never too late...but rather the reason why you picked it up at 17?
Quote by lawinnn
Wow, how old are you now? I'm kind of baffled on why you started playing so late...well, no offense, I mean, it's never too late...but rather the reason why you picked it up at 17?

What if... He just thought: "feck, I wanna play teh guitar!"

Quote by lawinnn

LATE? Seriously why do ppl need to pick this stuff up in their early teens? I'm 26 and starting guitar and getting into fingerstyle mostly. I love it and I hope I can continue for years to come. I've only been playing like 10-11 mo tho.
^ yeah i agree i dont know why so many people think you cant start learning unless you're prepubescent lol. im 20 and i've only been playing 6 months or so. but back on topic. i'll definitely shoot a question your way if i ever feel the need!
It is never to late to start playing, although it is true that if you start early it is a definite advantage.
Michael Ferris
ferrisguitar.com
I have some questions regarding the technique and the nails. will a pm be ok? :P
To answer the question from the previous posts. I am thrity. I think the reason I started playing so late had to do with the fact that I had always tried to learn on my own when I was younger. My father had a music store, so I was always able to take the guitar off the wall and try to play it. I had always tried to learn something on my own but got frustrated after the first 10 mintues and never really picked it up. My father, at the time, was always busy and never really tried to teach me to play. He always got so frustrated with me. It is sometimes very difficult for a father to directly be the teacher of his own son.
It wasn't until I was 17, having always helped my father in the store to sell guitars without actually being able to play one. I used to have people try out the guitar for the customers for me. I knew everything technical about the guitar, just not how to play it. Originally, at 17, I picked up the guitar just to learn to play a little something so I could be able to actually play SOMETHING on it to sell it. Well, at 17, I had stopped being so frustrated and made a bit of progress for the first time and fell in love with the guitar. That's where I started. I then got interested in classical and took it from there.
Michael Ferris
ferrisguitar.com