Poll: Variax or VG?
Poll Options
View poll results: Variax or VG?
Fender VG Stratocaster
32 67%
Line 6 Variax
16 33%
Voters: 48.
Sorry if this has been done. I DID search....

Ok, I'm just wondering, which one do YOU think is better and why? The Variax 700 or the Fender VG Stratocaster.

Imo, the strat beats the variax because its a guitar AND a modeling thingy.
The Variax beats the strat in the fact that it has more options though.

My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
personally i don't really like both, i think as for high tech guitars go, then i would rather have the gibson Midi-les paul.
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
I'd take the electronics of the variax and put them in a custom warmoth body+neck. That way you could get the options of the variax with the playability of a high end custom guitar. Wouldn't get the Les Paul, simply because of the playability.
Quote by Aziraphale
I'd take the electronics of the variax and put them in a custom warmoth body+neck. That way you could get the options of the variax with the playability of a high end custom guitar. Wouldn't get the Les Paul, simply because of the playability.

yes, but i live in australia. Gunna be bloody hard to do that, and freaking expensive too
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
variax because your not locked in to anything. you get a lot moreoptions, you can custmize it as much as you want, and you can use it with a pod XT(live) for patch changes and on top of that its cheaper.
If you want pickups, its easy enough to rout the body and get them installed, or use a warmoth body. Its basically just a piezo bridge with some electronics.
Plus you only really need the pickups if you have no power for the guitar
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
The Variax 700 is a better guitar in my opinion. I sat with the VG for a good 2 hrs. and couldn't get the tones you can get with the Variax (they were played through a fender deluxe). With the acoustic sound it was way better, Both have good quality as far as build, so you really can't go wrong with either one. I can match the tone of my buddies tex mex MIM strat so basically I feel like I have a strat anyway. I haven't played any of the high $$$ guitars it's suppose to model, but it runs with any copy on the shelf. If you really wish you had an ES 335, or a Les Paul, a nice plugged acoustic (it is a plugged sound) or anything the Variax lists with the exception of the banjo (it tries, but it's just not there) this is a guitar worth having. You can plug it into anything and your good to go, PC, stereo, amp, PA, whatever. It's to bad it's on the expensive side or it would be the perfect beginner guitar for someone who isn't sure what all they want to play, because it will certainly point you in the right direction for later purchases. Buck Owens to Metalica and everything in between. You won't find anything more versatile on it's own then a Variax and with the addition of the Pod it's even more so. Songs like "Wish you were here" starting on the 12 string model, then switching to the 6 string, then to the dobro is just great. What this thing has done for my practice is just incredible. No messing around or I need something to play this part or that part. It's all right there. I do feel you need a PA for the acoustic models and I do like the stereo of my vox DA 20 (2x8's) better then my peavey transtube (1x10), but the variax comes with everything you need to switch between the 2. I'll certainly own other guitars in the future, but after using this variax i'll never be without one. It's to good a tool for to many things.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by BFun
yes, but i live in australia. Gunna be bloody hard to do that, and freaking expensive too

Buy a Variax 300, get a body from warmoth... even if you buy a neck aswell I don't think it'd be more expensive than the VG strat.

Btw +1 at the Variax+POD thing, that is ace!
Quote by scott58
The Variax 700 is a better guitar in my opinion. I sat with the VG for a good 2 hrs. and couldn't get the tones you can get with the Variax (they were played through a fender deluxe). With the acoustic sound it was way better, Both have good quality as far as build, so you really can't go wrong with either one. I can match the tone of my buddies tex mex MIM strat so basically I feel like I have a strat anyway. I haven't played any of the high $$$ guitars it's suppose to model, but it runs with any copy on the shelf. If you really wish you had an ES 335, or a Les Paul, a nice plugged acoustic (it is a plugged sound) or anything the Variax lists with the exception of the banjo (it tries, but it's just not there) this is a guitar worth having. You can plug it into anything and your good to go, PC, stereo, amp, PA, whatever. It's to bad it's on the expensive side or it would be the perfect beginner guitar for someone who isn't sure what all they want to play, because it will certainly point you in the right direction for later purchases. Buck Owens to Metalica and everything in between. You won't find anything more versatile on it's own then a Variax and with the addition of the Pod it's even more so. Songs like "Wish you were here" starting on the 12 string model, then switching to the 6 string, then to the dobro is just great. What this thing has done for my practice is just incredible. No messing around or I need something to play this part or that part. It's all right there. I do feel you need a PA for the acoustic models and I do like the stereo of my vox DA 20 (2x8's) better then my peavey transtube (1x10), but the variax comes with everything you need to switch between the 2. I'll certainly own other guitars in the future, but after using this variax i'll never be without one. It's to good a tool for to many things.

Very well said.
Also, I would like to mention for anyone iterested, the difference in virtual pickup between the VG and the variax means that the variax would have slightly better acoustic sounds if thats a main concern
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
if its full on, highly versatile digital modelling that you want get the variax.

if its a strat with a few digital presets that you want, get the VG strat.

You could probably get a Variax (stay away from the 300, and approach the 600 with care - get a 700 basically, or a used 500) with a pod X3Live (or XTLive) for cheaper than you could get a VG strat to be honest... and thats a powerful combination.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
if its full on, highly versatile digital modelling that you want get the variax.

if its a strat with a few digital presets that you want, get the VG strat.

You could probably get a Variax (stay away from the 300, and approach the 600 with care - get a 700 basically, or a used 500) with a pod X3Live (or XTLive) for cheaper than you could get a VG strat to be honest... and thats a powerful combination.

the electrics are the same in the 300,600 ad 700. The 500 is outdated.
If one was to get a 300 and a replacement body from warmoth it would be pretty cheap.

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by DagMX
the electrics are the same in the 300,600 ad 700. The 500 is outdated.
If one was to get a 300 and a replacement body from warmoth it would be pretty cheap.

the 500 hardware is not outdated, it is the same as the 700. the only thing outdated in the 500 is the firmware which can be updated - it is a little awkward as you have to get a backdated version of the update software because its incompatible with the newer versions... but the 500 can be fully updated to the same extent the newer models can.

Also if you've looked on the line 6 forum, you'll see that the electronics on the 300 and 600 have some major quality control issues, and few of them actually work correctly.
Rig Winter 2017:

Quote by Blompcube
the 500 hardware is not outdated, it is the same as the 700. the only thing outdated in the 500 is the firmware which can be updated - it is a little awkward as you have to get a backdated version of the update software because its incompatible with the newer versions... but the 500 can be fully updated to the same extent the newer models can.

Also if you've looked on the line 6 forum, you'll see that the electronics on the 300 and 600 have some major quality control issues, and few of them actually work correctly.

thats actually what i meant about the 500. the firmware is older. oops.

about the 300, if i remember correctly(been a while since i looked it up), most of the complaints were related to problems with the piezo bridge saddles, especially during adjustments of the saddles.

also to be fair, going by complaints on a forum aren't completely accurate since most people use the forum to complain about the problems rather than talk about the virtues.

Thats not to say that the low end variaxs are without their flaws, they are made to a lower quality spec of course(you get what you pay for) but to say only a few work is an exaggeration.

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by DagMX
thats actually what i meant about the 500. the firmware is older. oops.

about the 300, if i remember correctly(been a while since i looked it up), most of the complaints were related to problems with the piezo bridge saddles, especially during adjustments of the saddles.

also to be fair, going by complaints on a forum aren't completely accurate since most people use the forum to complain about the problems rather than talk about the virtues.

Thats not to say that the low end variaxs are without their flaws, they are made to a lower quality spec of course(you get what you pay for) but to say only a few work is an exaggeration.

my point about the quality control is the amount of threads where people have said they returned several variaxes because of one problem and got several replacements either with the same problem or a different problem. i've never seen a thread about a faulty 500 or 700 though, its always the 300 or 600. i have taken into account that people will only usually post about something on a forum if they have a problem with it.
Rig Winter 2017:

hmmm... okay. But the thing i really like about the VG apart from its simplicity is that if you run outta battery you can still power on.

When I tried the Variax, the battery was dead and it took the shop 10 mins to set up a power supply. The sounds i got from the variax didnt seem as good as the VG IMO, but i could be wrong. ill try both out again at some point.

That getting a whole new body and neck from warmoth sounds like a good idea BUT, its going to be hard (and expensive) for people like me who live outside the US (or UK, i dunno where they're based)
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
The Variax 700 is a pretty good guitar, not the best in terms of playability and feel. The tones are great, and it is very versatile. For the price, it is much better than the VG strat.

The VG strat is a good guitar in itself. Add the modeling and it's even better.

If price weren't a factor VG > Variax. If you're limited on cash VG < Variax.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer

If price weren't a factor VG > Variax. If you're limited on cash VG < Variax.

Even if the VG would have been the same price or cheaper, I'd have still gotten the Variax. The multitude of tone is just to great. The Red one I got looks really nice and has a great finish. The neck is surprisingly nice for me. I don't regret this purchases at all. Unless your just an absolute diehard purist (and if your are your probably not looking at any kind modeling equipment VG or otherwise) the Variax does to many things well to be considered just a novelty and the build quality of the 700 is quite good.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
i'd say the variax, cause combined with the podXT it opens your tone to an infinite world

*tries not to sound like a crappy advertisement*
IMO
I think thats getting to much for something that started out as sack with animal fiber strings. I dont know, I like new innovations, but it changes tunings and replicates certain sounds, I would just assume buy something that is the original design. Although with amps you dont have that option.
I'd rather have one or 2 decent guitars that aren't for modelling.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by FRDesign
VG, because if you get tired of modeling, at least you have a Fender American Strat.

that doesnt really make sense now does it? modelling isn't something that is hard for the user to do, its just giving a sound. thats the same as what a pickup does. Both are shaping the sound.
PLus, the pickup can only give one type of sound, the modelling can give infinitely more sounds? I hardly think one would get tired of the modelling and go back to the pickups.
Also a pickup gives a certain sound, with the modelling you find the sound you like and leave it at that. Exact same result no?

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Hmmm.... Is the Variax THAT much better sounding than the VG? Or just it has more options than the VG?
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
Quote by BFun
Hmmm.... Is the Variax THAT much better sounding than the VG? Or just it has more options than the VG?

more options in termsof prebuilt sounds, tunings, user created settings and it can be used with a podxt live or vetta II amp to change the setting on the guitar along with the patch

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by BFun

Overall yes. The VG is a strat so you can't really go wrong there and it's an american strat so the quality is without question, but that's where it ends. The acoustics of the Variax are alot better. Mine does sound identical to my buddies MIM strat, the ES 335 sounds just as good as any copy i've ever picked up. The les paul is also a close match etc. The VG just can't do all that. You'd have to spend in excess of $5000 to get all the tones a variax can produce and it's build quality is really nice. Instead of just dismissing all the electronics off handedly in favor of pickups you should really sit down with a variax for a few hours. Play it through something clean or a PA for starters and just get a feel for the variety of tones. Play a few songs that require acoustic and electric and switch between the settings then pick up a VG and try it. Basically that's what I did and the variax won. I had 2 grand in my pocket so price wasn't the issue. The Variax just did more things better. If you want an american strat get an american strat I'm certainly not saying i won't own one (I probably will), but if you want a modeling guitar the Variax doesn't have to much competition. Line 6 did a good job on this product.

Ps the above statements exclude the Pod and are just my opinions on the 2 guitars. With the addition of the Pod the Variax becomes alot more then what it is.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD