Alright, so here's the deal. I'm auditioning for places like ACM, ICMP, BIMM, Guitar-X and some universities/other similar music institutes, for a Contemporary Music Performance course. In short, a degree in guitar/music business.

What kind of pieces should I learn to perform at the audition? Has anyone here been in my position, and if so, what have you played?

Here's what I've thought up so far -
Jerryc - Canon Rock
Racer X - Technical Difficulties
Malmsteen - Arpeggios from Hell
My rock arrangement of Vivaldi's Summer movement from The Four Seasons
Albert Lee - Country Boy

The pieces need to be at least of Grade 8 standard (though Grade 7 is allowed) and written for electric guitar. I'm open to any styles.

Nothing with icy hot, barrel rolls, llamas, your mum etc please, or the predictable American Idiot, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Search Bar Blues responses either. But, if you really need to get it out of your system, go ahead...

Cheers guys!
Out of your current list, I'd pick your arrangement of Vivaldi's Four Seasons, simply because it's your arrangement, and that would go down well with the people assessing you.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Smoke Amp makes sense! That or try making a really complex instrumental of your own if your allowed to...
Steve Vai - juice? It's got a lot of rhythm and a lot of bits to show off.
Why not do some jazz? It'll show off your theory knowledge if you just take a backing CD along and jam to it. When I went to the ICMP open day, the impression I got was that they look for theory knowledge more than technical skill. And you can always throw in some more technical stuff with your improv. Oh, and if you take a piece to play, I'd take just the standard notation, they seemed big on you being able to sight reading if you're going in for the degree course. Although an example of what they expected seemed quite easy, it was around grade 5 standard I think.
i'm just wondering,i've been hearing all the grade level stuff and i don't know what it's about?is it just in the UK or do you also have it in the US??

and i would go with your arrangement of vivaldi,you would probably get extra props for that
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
Quote by shmooty
Why not do some jazz? It'll show off your theory knowledge if you just take a backing CD along and jam to it. When I went to the ICMP open day, the impression I got was that they look for theory knowledge more than technical skill. And you can always throw in some more technical stuff with your improv. Oh, and if you take a piece to play, I'd take just the standard notation, they seemed big on you being able to sight reading if you're going in for the degree course. Although an example of what they expected seemed quite easy, it was around grade 5 standard I think.

The only Jazz I've really explored is the chords from the later RGT grades personally. I've always been meaning to get into it though - Any suggestions for where to start?

Theory should be fine, I have Grade 5 theory and am doing A level music in sixth form right now, which is apparently the equivalent of Grade 6/7 theory. And since I've been playing piano for about 5 years, I have good notation reading skills - though not as good at it on guitar as I'd like :P

How is ICMP btw? I haven't been there yet, but I'm hoping to go to an upcoming open day. My main choice is ACM, which I was really impressed with when I went there.
Quote by Steve The Plank

How is ICMP btw? I haven't been there yet, but I'm hoping to go to an upcoming open day. My main choice is ACM, which I was really impressed with when I went there.

Its alright, they seem to teach a lot of styles which is cool, and they get you playing in bands and stuff every week. Unfortunately I couldn't see all the facilities, because they had closed off the top floor for refurbishment. I was gonna apply there, but changed my mind and want to do a degree in sound recording instead

When I went the staff band (was quite cool actually) played Country Boy, amongst other things. The teachers there seem like fantastic players, but I think most people go there for the diploma course, that's what they were saying anyway. So when I went most of the information they gave was for that.
Quote by shmooty
Its alright, they seem to teach a lot of styles which is cool, and they get you playing in bands and stuff every week. Unfortunately I couldn't see all the facilities, because they had closed off the top floor for refurbishment. I was gonna apply there, but changed my mind and want to do a degree in sound recording instead

When I went the staff band (was quite cool actually) played Country Boy, amongst other things. The teachers there seem like fantastic players, but I think most people go there for the diploma course, that's what they were saying anyway. So when I went most of the information they gave was for that.

Hah, yeah, I heard that they have quite a few country loving teachers there. Apparently Albert Lee has done some masterclasses there, which is pretty cool.

I need to check out BIMM and Guitar-X. Besides those I mentioned in my first post, there aren't any other established contemporary music performance institutes in Britain, are there? Those are the only ones I really hear about - That's why I'm looking at them mainly rather than any universities.