this silly question is, how hard is wood filler when it gets ready to use at all?

This thing had been running though my mind and its to strip my bass (everything it has on) put the laquer off and then the paint after that when its just wood take and fill all the holes (ALL OF EM, it has a pickguard so its going to be a hell of a project on there, well i might leave the bridge holes just so i dont have to do em again...) and re-route so it doesnt use a pickguard and i can use it with another kind of pickups (ive been planning this so i can use J-style ones instead of P-style so i can get more RHCP type of sound) the new paint will cover all the fillings so i really dont care if it looks like OMG!! i just thinked it may work so thats why im asking, if it works with the neck that gets a lot more of tension than the body, then it freaking shouls work!!!
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Last edited by Line6 at Nov 4, 2007,
you'd be better putting some form of hardwood in the hole, and then using the filler to smooth the top, and fill the gaps and whatnot.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Quote by admbwr
you'd be better putting some form of hardwood in the hole, and then using the filler to smooth the top, and fill the gaps and whatnot.

But then when i re rout the stuff wont that affect the proccess? i mean, the hardwood will be in but it wont be like lets say... the hole fully filled so some stuff would fall off it i route where the holes were or ¿am i wrong on hwat hardwood is?

find out what wood your bass is made from, then buy a block of the same wood big enough for the hole, cut it to the right shape ( just leave out the bit where you want your pickup)
and fill over the top to smooth it.

you'l need to route out the back for your controlls though.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Quote by admbwr
find out what wood your bass is made from, then buy a block of the same wood big enough for the hole, cut it to the right shape ( just leave out the bit where you want your pickup)
and fill over the top to smooth it.

you'l need to route out the back for your controlls though.

Routing the back is not a problem, so what you say is get some ash wood and cut it with just a minimal diference from what my guitar need and join it with super glue or with wood filler so it stays in there pretty tighly?

If its like that then ima just wait till i get a second bass so i have something to play on while i mid this one :P

PLEASE DON'T use super glue, unless you want the wood to fall back out again!!! Use a proper wood glue, synthetic resin would be best (resorcinol formaldehyde) but the white pva glue is probably easier to use. For small screw holes, use 2 part wood filler as this is easier to sand afterwards & sticks better. Hope this helps
Quote by anguskilminster
PLEASE DON'T use super glue, unless you want the wood to fall back out again!!! Use a proper wood glue, synthetic resin would be best (resorcinol formaldehyde) but the white pva glue is probably easier to use. For small screw holes, use 2 part wood filler as this is easier to sand afterwards & sticks better. Hope this helps

Opps!! i meant to say wood glue :P i was in a rush at the time, so ima do this project in january when i get my 2nd bass on my b-day, and i have plenty of those kind of sticks you mentioned there :P my dad uses a lot i dunno for what :S

Ima remember all this for when i start doing this so you dont worry ^_^

now let the thread die if you guys want :P