Since I'm a video game n00b, I have no idea what to buy when it comes to X box 360's.

My birthday's coming up, and my told me today that she was considering buying and X box 360 for my birthday. But I don't think she fully understands how much money they cost, so before she spends $400 on somehting that I can't use, I'm going to turn to UG for help.

What exactly do I need to be able to play X box 360, X box 360 Live, and store music on it? And how much would this be?
Need a 360, ethernet cable, modem/router, subscription to XBOX Live. That's it really.
For music, you can stream music from your pc but can't store it unless you rip it from an authentic CD or something like that.
I don't need a sig....
Roughly $400 for the X-Box and the hard drive for the music, and the subscription fee for Live. I'm not sure how much it is, but my cousin told me a few months ago that it was like $50 a year or something.

I'm sure you could find it on www.microsoft.com.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
1) you will need a router (if your router is next to your xbox, like me, you just need an ethernet cable) and/or a wireless network adaptor

2)you will need to buy an xbox live membership card, which can be bought any place 360s are sold

3) music, im not too sure about

4) this could be anywhere from $450+
I see no sign of fortress.
you can just rip music from CDs or stream it from your PC. the rest im not so sure about, i dont have one. my friend does lol.
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
Well as everyone has said you need a router, but you'll also need either a wireless adapter which is 100 or if your 360 will be close to your T.V. then an Ethernet cable which is fairly cheap. All of that is if you want to be able to play live.
Next about getting an Xbox live subscription. You automatically get a silver one which lets you do pretty much everything except play games online. To do that you need Xbox Live Gold, which has a variety of prices, you can get something like $20 for 3 months, $8 for 1 month or the best package, $50 for a whole year.
About your music, just put a C.D. in your 360 and import it. You can also hook your Ipod up to it and play songs from there using the same cable that you plug into the computer.
The $400 360 comes with just about everything u need. Youll get a hard drvie for music, an ethernet cable for online, and i think it even comes with like a month of xbl for free. The only seperate thing youd need is a cable or DSL connection. If you have that, then youd be set
Quote by gu1t4rh3r0
One of my friends said to the principle once,
"NO! The voices tell me not to talk to you!" *Runs away on all fours*
The principle eventually caught up to him and gave him a drug test.
I was also wondering about Xbox 360 live- i've got my Xbox in my room and my Laptop with wireless internet access, that gets it from a wireless router down stairs. so i was wondering, if i connected the ethernet cable to my laptop, and obviously got a membership, would i be able to go on Xbox 360 live?
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Just get the premium console.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
1) Get a 400$ Premium. Comes with a hard drive so you can have XBox Live and put music on it.

2) XBox Live is 50 bucks for a 12 month subscription. You need high speed internet, broadband, dsl, BUT NOT SATELLITE!!! If you have satellite high speed internet, don't waste your time. However, if you have DSL/Broadband and your router will be semi-close to your console, then all you need is an ethernet cable. You will get a free 10-15ft one, but at GameStop you can buy a 20ft one for 5$ However, if it is far away, buy a wireless router, my suggestion is Linksys Wireless-G(30$) along with a wireless adapter(80-100$), once again by Linksys called Wireless Game Adapter and make sure it is the G model.

3) Roughly 550$ If your router will be farr away or you don't want to have alot of wires running along the floor/ceiling. Maybe 450-500 if your router is near or you don't mind the wires.
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
Quote by will123456789
I was also wondering about Xbox 360 live- i've got my Xbox in my room and my Laptop with wireless internet access, that gets it from a wireless router down stairs. so i was wondering, if i connected the ethernet cable to my laptop, and obviously got a membership, would i be able to go on Xbox 360 live?

DON'T DO THAT!!!! STOP BEING CHEEP!!!! Go buy a 100$ adapter that way you won't have lag like crazy.
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
Quote by Pinky19
DON'T DO THAT!!!! STOP BEING CHEEP!!!! Go buy a 100$ adapter that way you won't have lag like crazy.

This man speaks the truth. If you try and ghetto rig a connection using your laptop you will only end up with a broken heart. It is best to save up and get the M$ gaming adapter. I have one and I never have any lag. Of course, it also helps that I got my home network set up with draft-N.
Since you are a gaming noob, as you so rightly said, a 360 is the perfect choice. it should work great. come the day you are no longer a noob, invest in a ps3
Quote by happytimeharry
This man speaks the truth. If you try and ghetto rig a connection using your laptop you will only end up with a broken heart. It is best to save up and get the M$ gaming adapter. I have one and I never have any lag. Of course, it also helps that I got my home network set up with draft-N.

and where do u connect these to? and also i'm from england so can u get them here?

P.S. I love your avatar!! and scrubs!!
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Yeah, you can get em, Xbox 360 Wireless Network Adapter. It goes into the USB port in the back of the 360. You're gonna need a wireless router to use it though.
You could get a cheap access point and it will work, the original network adapter is too expensive, that's if you're going wireless. You can plug the xbox directly into the modem too.
Hasn't been mentioned yet, but if you have an iPod, you can plug it into the USB port on the front of the 360, so you won't need to rip music onto the console itself.

Just a thought, to fill the 'music' criterion.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Quote by -February-Star-
Hasn't been mentioned yet, but if you have an iPod, you can plug it into the USB port on the front of the 360, so you won't need to rip music onto the console itself.

Just a thought, to fill the 'music' criterion.

When I put my Ipon on shuffle for my xbox it just plays songs listed A-B.

Meaning no Muse or RHCP.
.Brand New.Bright Eyes.This Will Destroy You.

THRRRRRRRREADKILLER!
Quote by Cpt.Jackass
When I put my Ipon on shuffle for my xbox it just plays songs listed A-B.

Meaning no Muse or RHCP.

Yea, the 360 shuffle really sucks. It plays the first song, second song, gets bored and plays the first again...