I ahve always noticed, that when a band has one guitarist, for a solo they will ahve a second recording do the backing guitar. I never understood why they dont have the bass playing play the same backing guitar chords while he solos by playing power chords a bit higher up ont he bass. I always figured because of the different gauge strings, maybe power chords dont sound as fluid on a bass, but since ive been practicing bass, i notice power chords actually sound very decent. So why have i not noticed this as a common practice?

also while screwing around with the bass, i realized if th bass is simply power chord backings, by stretching my figners a tiny bit, i can double my own power chords by using 3 strings. example

say the backing chord is supposed to be an A5 play on the bass... 5 X 7 9

Im sure im not the only one to have come up with this, so im sure there must be quite a few precedents, or maybe it even happens all the time without me knowing, simply becuse of my lack of knowledge of Bass or Bass players. But can someone tell me if this works out well for any famous musicians or offer opinions or what?
Because it would sound like mud, and doesn't fit the sound that the band wants, most of the time. Then again, if it sounds good to you, then keep it up.
Yes, you can play powerchords on bass, but not at the same speed as a guitar would, and often the song will sound empty with just the bass in the background of a solo. However, sometimes people do this - example: Nirvana - In Bloom. Most just carry on with the normal bassline live if they don't have a second guitar. I'd say just do that.

If you want to play the powerchords, do it, there shouldn't be any rules against doing something that sounds good. It's useful in developing your own style not to rely on what people think should or shouldn't be done.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
The double powerchords are cool.

theyll be easier to play if you drop tune your guitar to DROP D

that way 5X79 will become 7X79
Fender Stratocaster,Yamaha ERG 121 and 5 other random low budget acoustics
Quote by Manjinken
oh wow, so I AM a pioneer.

Haha well it's been done before, I'm sure, it's just not particularly commonplace.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in
Haha well it's been done before, I'm sure, it's just not particularly commonplace.

kinda figured, but its usually rare for me to discover something so uncommonly practiced, escpecially sicne i find good use and decent sound out of i, i shall continue workign with this technique.
check out the song "dont forget me" by the Red hot chili peppers. The bassline is a basic power chord progression on the top 2 strings and it sounds pretty damn sweet i'd say.
Balls.
Quote by Manjinken

Yeah...you and some guy called Lemmy
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Yeah...you and some guy called Lemmy

yeah i know lemmy was a big power chord user, but i never practiced enough bass to attempt any motor head, so i am still unfamiliar with most of his techniques.
Quote by Manjinken

You and Steve Harris...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
IN the song afraid to Shoot Strangers by Iron maiden Steve Harris plays power chords on bass for backing of the solo's ya know.
Quote by ibikinz
IN the song afraid to Shoot Strangers by Iron maiden Steve Harris plays power chords on bass for backing of the solo's ya know.

there ya go, That's exactly what im talking about.
Can I Play With Madness by Iron Maiden also uses Steve Harris' power chords (or at least from what youtube videos ive seen)
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.