alrighty there, i'm gonna get some new pedals for my board.

currently, i have a Digitech Synth Wah (might get rid of it), Digitech Turbo Flange (gonna get rid of it), a Dunlop 535Q wah, a Marshall Jackhammer Overdrive/Distortion, an Ebow and a Zoom G1 multi effects unit (sucks major ass, def. gonna get rid of it)

i want to add following pedals:

A Marshall Regenerator.

Basically, this thing has a Flanger, Chorus and Phaser in it. I'd never use two of those effects at the same time, so why buy 3 seperate pedals for it if i can get them all in one? opinions?

A Boss Tremolo pedal

Seems to be the best, cheapest tremolo around, and i've only heard good about Boss.
opinions?

A delay pedal

Marshall Echohead

Boss DD6

Danelectro DE1

haven't decided yet, but i'm tending towards the Marshall Echohead.
opinions?

OR

A Boss GT8

okay, any opinions, tips, suggestions? which ones to get, which ones not to get?
i'm looking for a good, warm sound. nothing to digital sounding, and something that can also work well playing live.

thanks!
a single Line 6 pod will have everything you need and more than whats here, but I see your not into digital effects.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
a single Line 6 pod will have everything you need and more than whats here, but I see your not into digital effects.

nah, various people who have tons of experience and who i trust a lot have disadvised me from getting the line6 POD, and i wasn't impressed when i tried it out.
for the delay DEFINETLY boss DD6, its simply the best.... as for the rest... never tried any of them... so thats about it

edit: but all i've heard about the GT8 is great btw.... but im sure you already knew that
i really like the Digitech DF-7 Distortion Factory.
also, the Dunlop Mister Crybaby Super Volume is an amazing wah pedal.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
no one fuckin cares
get a whammy pedal
i have it and its my baby
or if u are looking for a multi effects, Boss ME-50
simple, easy to use, no menu surfing, and its small and easy to transport
Quote by Fusanti_RHCP
get a whammy pedal
i have it and its my baby
or if u are looking for a multi effects, Boss ME-50
simple, easy to use, no menu surfing, and its small and easy to transport

hm, how versatile is the ME50 compared to single pedals?
actually, i'd recommend the vox tonelab, if you want good amp modeling. sorry to sidetrack, but the vox tonelab is really fantastic. other than that, maybe you'd wanna add a compressor?
Quote by oyster
actually, i'd recommend the vox tonelab, if you want good amp modeling. sorry to sidetrack, but the vox tonelab is really fantastic. other than that, maybe you'd wanna add a compressor?

what for?
the boss GT-8 is a great sounding multieffects, probably one of, if not the best multieffects out there. If you go with the single pedals, the boss dd6 is probs the best delay out of those. Not looked at the regenerator, but you should definitely look at the maxon phase and flange pedals - theyre awesome
the vox tonelab is a multi effects unit, so it comes with a lot of other effects, but i think effects wise, it does not really compare to the line6. however when it comes to amp modelling i think the tonelab will win hands down, because line6 pod has a digital sound that you prob might nv get rid of. the compressor, in a nut shell, makes the soft louder and the loud softer. how loud and how soft is up to how you tweak the pedal, and how good the pedal is in letting you tweak it. what it can help you in is if, say, you have a long legato run. if your legatos are not as loud as how you usually pick, a comp will be able to help you achieve a similar volume level for both types of playing. if you do alot of heavy riffing and strumming, a comp can help you maintain a certain volume level. in other words, a comp can help you get away with mistakes
Quote by oyster
the vox tonelab is a multi effects unit, so it comes with a lot of other effects, but i think effects wise, it does not really compare to the line6. however when it comes to amp modelling i think the tonelab will win hands down, because line6 pod has a digital sound that you prob might nv get rid of. the compressor, in a nut shell, makes the soft louder and the loud softer. how loud and how soft is up to how you tweak the pedal, and how good the pedal is in letting you tweak it. what it can help you in is if, say, you have a long legato run. if your legatos are not as loud as how you usually pick, a comp will be able to help you achieve a similar volume level for both types of playing. if you do alot of heavy riffing and strumming, a comp can help you maintain a certain volume level. in other words, a comp can help you get away with mistakes

i don't make mistakes

>.>

<.<

*runs to get a compressor*

i don't need any of that amp modeling stuff, just the effects. the only reason i'm thinking of getting the GT8 is because you can assign the pedal to modulation effects and control the speed of the modulation with the pedal, and it has badass synth sound in it.
oh you're into the synth sounding things? that's not my area so can't help you much. HOWEVER, i think the whammy pedal might be for you, as what someone said earlier. you can listen to cool #9 by satriani, and searching by satriani also.
Quote by oyster
oh you're into the synth sounding things? that's not my area so can't help you much. HOWEVER, i think the whammy pedal might be for you, as what someone said earlier. you can listen to cool #9 by satriani, and searching by satriani also.

that's another plus for the boss gt8, it has a whammy in it too not too sure i'd ever use it, though...
Quote by oyster
i see. so.... GO AHEAD?

i'm still not sure if i need all of that, and i don't know how the boss gt8 will hold up when playing live, and if the pedals will allow more versatility.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
The GT-8 is amazing, but kinda obcene. My old teacher had one.

obscene???? how can a pedal be obscene?
get true bypass pedals if ur gonna build a bigass board dude. ur tone will suffer when they're all bypassed. especially with an armada of Boss pedals. eek!!!
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by just17n8
for the delay DEFINETLY boss DD6, its simply the best.... as for the rest... never tried any of them... so thats about it

edit: but all i've heard about the GT8 is great btw.... but im sure you already knew that

Or if you can afford it, get a DD-20. It's like the DD6, but with a ridiculous 23 seconds of delay, sound on sound loopness, reverse, tape and analog sim, plus the crazy-ass twist, modulate, etc. Plus, if you turn the feedback all the way up and the delay time to less than 20ms or so, it's like a square-wave synth you can change the pitch of w/ the delay time knob.

I have one. It's my baby.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
actually...don't buy a multi effect unit... sure GT-8 is great when You compare it to POD or ME-50... but when You compare it to seperate pedals it has no chance with them... so... if You have some cash... buy EHX Delay (Memory Man), Digitech Whammy, if You like your 535q don't change it and maybe something like Line 6 FM-4? It's a filter Modeler and You can achieve great weird sounds with it
Epiphone Les Paul Studio 2005
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
EHX Q-Tron +
Line 6 FM-4 Filter Modeler
Fender CD60 Acoustic
John Frusciante and RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS UG fanclub.
Quote by Karol1701
actually...don't buy a multi effect unit... sure GT-8 is great when You compare it to POD or ME-50... but when You compare it to seperate pedals it has no chance with them... so... if You have some cash... buy EHX Delay (Memory Man), Digitech Whammy, if You like your 535q don't change it and maybe something like Line 6 FM-4? It's a filter Modeler and You can achieve great weird sounds with it

this actually sounds quite interesting. thank you, dear sir

EDIT: the good thing about those marshall pedals, is, they're all true bypassed.

EDIT2: damn, that pedal is beyond my price range at the moment, but hey, what's christmas for?
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Nov 4, 2007,
Don't get any digital delays, none of them are true bypass and they do't sound very impressive. BYOC delay is really good, its all analog and its true bypass, that is, if you can build you're own pedal. They come with instructions and all the parts, solder, anything you need, even the enclosure. www.buildyourownclone.com
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
^no.

BYOC Delay is digital. analog delay would be something like tape echo. i have BYOC's delay, true bypass and digital.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I've never heard of that modulation pedal, but your logic makes sense, so go for it!

I'm also in the market for a delay, and from my findings I say go for the EHX #1 Echo.

Boss Tremolo is awesome.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
If you want a digital delay go for the Line 6 DL4. Kicks the crap out of the DD6 (which is awful IMO. I owned one for a good few months and hated it). The EHX Stereo Memory Man is also worth a look.

If you want analogue, DMM is obviously a candidate. I can't actually think of any other analogue delays around the same price range right now. I've gotten rusty
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by V12prowler
Don't get any digital delays, none of them are true bypass and they do't sound very impressive. BYOC delay is really good, its all analog and its true bypass, that is, if you can build you're own pedal. They come with instructions and all the parts, solder, anything you need, even the enclosure. www.buildyourownclone.com

i can tell youve never played a delay pedal in your life. one of the most widely praised digital delays in the world, the line 6 dl-4 is true bypass. and to say they dont sound impressive is totally and utterly ignorant. you can do some things with digital delays that you couldnt even begin to conceive with analog delay.

and as it was stated above, the BYOC delay is digital. im pretty sure its a clone of a BOSS digital delay. if you dont know what youre talking about, dont post.
^the BYOC delay is a Boss clone. that said, the true bypass + boss circuit is pretty darn decent for what u pay. at least blows away the stock boss delays with cheap bypass.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
damn, all of you guys are blowing boss, but i always thought they were top notch? thats what a lot of the pros use, dont they?
not really. something is not considered good because pros use it. if it sounds good, then that's good. and Boss makes okay pedals, but they're nothing close to top notch, and their bypass is horrible.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by CoreysMonster
damn, all of you guys are blowing boss, but i always thought they were top notch? thats what a lot of the pros use, dont they?

Boss pedals are reliable which is a must for people who regularly gig, and they do make a few very good pedals. The delays are alright, but not really inspiring or as nice sounding as other delays.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
how is that marshall echohead? any good? just saw some demos of it on youtube, and it looks really sweet
always try to find out what youre getting beforehand. the boss delays are nice for what they are. theyre a very "hard" percussive sounding digi delays. they can make some far out sounds. people who are only about warm short analog delay repeats, might not be able to appreciate that.
Quote by CoreysMonster

I personally like Boss (owning 3 boss pedals myself), but I gotta agree that the bypass on those pedals are pretty sucky, and some of their pedals are pretty overpriced.

I tried out the DD-6 today, didn't seem all that special really. The Tap Tempo sort of makes half the modes obsolete.
okay, i've just read that parallel effects loops are no good with modulation pedals. and i've also heard that mod. pedals should always go before overdrive, does that mean i can't use modulation effects through my DSL401 effect loop? it's no a big deal if i can't, i have a Marshall Jackhammer that kicks the crap out of my amp, and it sounds great.
Get the Echohead, Holy Grail, Small Stone, Small Clone (Or actually the EHX worm looks like a barrel of fun, and EHX are just > than Boss.) and you basically have my rig par the Small Stone. And it is awesome.
Quote by TehJermie
i can tell youve never played a delay pedal in your life. one of the most widely praised digital delays in the world, the line 6 dl-4 is true bypass. and to say they dont sound impressive is totally and utterly ignorant. you can do some things with digital delays that you couldnt even begin to conceive with analog delay.

and as it was stated above, the BYOC delay is digital. im pretty sure its a clone of a BOSS digital delay. if you dont know what youre talking about, dont post.

As a matter of fact I have played more than 1 delay pedal in my life. I have never been impressed with line 6 products (DL4 included) and i don't reccomend them to anyone, if you do then thats fine, its you're opinion. It's not "totally and utterly ignorant" to say it sounds unimpessive, once again, thats an opinion. Don't tell me not to post, i was wrong in saying the BYOC isn't digital and I admit that, nothing else I said was "utterly ignorant".
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project