I'm thinking of buying a small tube amp (probably a Peavey VK Royal 8) and a tube pedal in order to give myself the nicest metal distortion I can get. Basically, I need a really portable setup, ie good tube distortion as a pre-amp and use the Peavey to give me a nice, warm tone.

I've been looking at the Rocktron Silver Dragon, as I've heard that it's basically as good as it gets. The Hughes/Kettner Tubeman 2 looks nice too, but I haven't heard anything much about it.

I'm looking for a distortion suitable for death/melodic death metal. The ideal tone would be something like recent Arch Enemy, Machine Head, recent Dark Tranquillity. I play in C standard or drop A sharpand have high output pickups, and hope that the Peavey will keep up with the bass (will it?).

Thanks for the help
Last edited by webbtje at Nov 4, 2007,
Quote by guitarcrazy1991
Metal muff on the clean channel. Or tubescreamer as well as the amps od methinks.

The whole point of the tube distortion is that I don't want something solid state, even if the amp makes it sound better. Also, the peavey's gain is very low indeed, I don't think a tubescreamer could get me the tone I'm after.
There's not much need to get a tube pedal. A metal muff would be good. If you have a tube amp, a tube pedal isn't necessary IMO.
Hmm... in that case, what would the sound of a Silver Dragon into a Roland Microcube sound like? I'm just trying to get the best sound with as little cash as possible here.
I don't know why, but whenever I suggest this pedal, people accuse me of spamming, and generally seem to get annoyed with me. Probably because the pedals they've invested in suck ass. I dunno. Then, 8,973 other people wil post "Metal Muff" or "RAT" and no one says a f*cking thing. IMO, anything not tube-based makes your guitar sound like a f*cking buzzsaw. Aw, f*ck 'em . . .

Damage Control Solid Metal. Dual-12AX7 tubes, biased at 250V. You won't be sorry.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

SPAM!

Is that the Peavey one? That's kinda expensive, but does look kinda cool. Reviews like it too.
No, it's made by a company called Damage Control. Yeah, expensive. But, it's basically like having a high-end, tube preamp, but in a pedal.
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

That damage contol pedal cost as much as the amp tho lol. If you were going to spend that much couldn't you save some more for a higher gain amp? I guess the pedal would be really good for any future amps tho..
Quote by yoyodunno
That damage contol pedal cost as much as the amp tho lol. If you were going to spend that much couldn't you save some more for a higher gain amp? I guess the pedal would be really good for any future amps tho..

Portability's the buzzword here. I'm carrying this from my room to a band practice place where I (currently) plug the microcube into a cab that's hanging around. Also, I'm not at home much and don't really need a 50 watt tube amp, be it combo or halfstack as I'm not gigging for a while (think summer, and I borrow gear for that).

EDIT: OK, why is the Solid Metal less expensive than all the others save Liquid Blues? Is there something we're not being told here?
Last edited by webbtje at Nov 4, 2007,
There's no point getting a pricey tube pedal when you have a tube amp...most of them don't perform particularly well anyway. A decent solid state overdrive pedal is all you need to push something like the Royal 8.

A Silver Dragon into a Microcube would sound like ass....if your pedal costs more than your amp that means there's something wrong.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
There's no point getting a pricey tube pedal when you have a tube amp...most of them don't perform particularly well anyway. A decent solid state overdrive pedal is all you need to push something like the Royal 8.

A Silver Dragon into a Microcube would sound like ass....if your pedal costs more than your amp that means there's something wrong.

But would it push it into high-gain territory? That's what I need, not AC/DC.
the damage control pedals actually sound great. im in love with the glass nexus and timeline, but thats another thread.
Well, how about a modded Epiphone Valve Junior? Very small and portable. I've heard those sound great. It's 5 Watts, all-tube, and it supposedly screams. And since it's "only" 5 Watts, you can turn that sucker up to its sweet spot. Plus, it's CHEAP as hell! I'm gonna try one today. You could also buy the head-only version of the Epi VJ, and plug that into an inexpensive cabinet that you could leave where you practice.

But, you probably have your mind made up for the Royal 8. I would definitely consider the Epi VJ head and a cheap cab. That thing probably SCREAMS through a couple (or FOUR) 12' speakers. I'm sure the Royal 8 is a very nice amp, but you may need some extra "oomph" for metal, and I'd hate to see you just get another "buzzsaw" effect pedal to make that happen.

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Nov 4, 2007,
Quote by webbtje
But would it push it into high-gain territory? That's what I need, not AC/DC.

It'll get you way beyond AC/DC...you have to bear in mind that the amp itself will have a fair bit of natural overdrive.

However, you'll never get truly great metal tones from a small amp...a big part of those tones is sheer volume and also low-end resonance from 4x12 cabs and you simply can't replicate those.

An overdrive pedal should be plenty adequate, if not maybe something a bit dirtier like the Boss BD-2 or even a DS-1, and an EQ pedal is always nice to have to tweak the voicing. However there's no point chucking loads of money at it due to the inherent limitations of a small amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com