My bass teacher's been suggesting I get a new amp and some new strings, since the ones I have now aren't high quality, they're just the basic amp and strings that come in a beginner pack. So could someone recommend some good strings and a good amp for a relatively cheap price? (I'm not made of money)
If your teacher is reccomending new gear, you might want to see if HE has any opinions. A lot of times teachers know good gear and what you might like to fit your style. thats what i would do, good luck!
Hang on, have you never replaced your strings? That should be a given for every other month (though I'm exempt as I'm saving for a new bass )

And can you give more details of the starter pack you got and what purposes you need the amp for (bedroom practise, jamming with friends, gigging even) etc?
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Hang on, have you never replaced your strings? That should be a given for every other month (though I'm exempt as I'm saving for a new bass )

And can you give more details of the starter pack you got and what purposes you need the amp for (bedroom practise, jamming with friends, gigging even) etc?

tss... I hate new strings. They sound **** in the beginning. If I needed to replace them every month than I would never have the sound I want!
Quote by sidious
tss... I hate new strings. They sound **** in the beginning. If I needed to replace them every month than I would never have the sound I want!

If they are too bright new, why not try flatwounds? Much duller sound.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack

I got a Washburn starter pack with the basic bass, little amp, and gig bag. And I'd probably just be using the amp for bedroom practice and maybe some jamming at our school's guitar club.
And what is cheap to you? The more you spend, the better deal you get in lower price ranges.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
To me, anything cheap is around $20 for strings and somewhere between $100 and $200 for an amp.
Quote by zeppelin42
To me, anything cheap is around $20 for strings and somewhere between $100 and $200 for an amp.

for strings, check out Rotosound. i use Swingbass 66's, nickle on steel. about $20.
for amps, in that price range, used is your only option. good new amps, start around $400. good luck!

www.rotosound.com for sound samples of their strings.