Is it a completely stupid idea to customize my SG 310? It'smy only guitar and I thought of a few ideas that would look pretty cool with it.

- Change the headstock to a BC rich warlock shape

- Swap the neck and bridge pickups (Im getting a DiMarzio Evolution Neck pickup, ill get a bridge one later)

- Change inlays to Vine of life

That's basically what I want to do with it, or would it be smarter to just buy a better guitar before I switch out the pickups?

Also, another question, since christmas is coming I can somethign fairly expensive and I was wonderign which would be a better buy.

- BOSS DS-1

or

- DiMarzio Evolution Neck Pickup?

I'm trying to go for a Vai/Gilbert sound.
Thanks in advance.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by forwhomthebells
DiMarzio Evolution Neck Pickup

When I mention i want to get that to my friend (He's been playign for 4 years), he just says it's dumb to swap pickups on such a cheap guitar.
First, the Boss DS-1 isn't expensive only about 30 dollars. If you going to spend all that money on stuff, get a nice guitar. If you want to do all the swaping do it for expirence, but nothing beats a quality made guitar. Turns out the pickups are only part of the expirence.
Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
Quote by teknotard
First, the Boss DS-1 isn't expensive only about 30 dollars. If you going to spend all that money on stuff, get a nice guitar. If you want to do all the swaping do it for expirence, but nothing beats a quality made guitar. Turns out the pickups are only part of the expirence.

Even if I do swap pickups, when I get a better guitar I can just take the DiMarzios and put them in it. Pickups don't crap out for awhile right?
Thats true.... You can def do that, very good point. Have you done any of this before? if not I would not recomend ripping apart your guitar.. How much are looking to spend overall, and what kind of music do you play. Maybe I can recomend a guitar with in the price range... Trust me i have kept all my crappy guitars and it is really nice to have more then one. Espiecailly if at a a show you can swap...

Also, what is your rationaly for swaping the pickups? If it is becasue they are noisy that makes sense. but what other reason
Main Rigs
Guitars

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
Quote by MedicreDemon
- Change the headstock to a BC rich warlock shape

Not worth the trouble.

Quote by MedicreDemon
- Swap the neck and bridge pickups (Im getting a DiMarzio Evolution Neck pickup, ill get a bridge one later)

Does your guitar sound good unplugged? If it does, better pickups is a good idea.

Quote by MedicreDemon
- Change inlays to Vine of life

Definitely not worth the trouble.
Quote by teknotard
Thats true.... You can def do that, very good point. Have you done any of this before? if not I would not recomend ripping apart your guitar.. How much are looking to spend overall, and what kind of music do you play. Maybe I can recomend a guitar with in the price range... Trust me i have kept all my crappy guitars and it is really nice to have more then one. Espiecailly if at a a show you can swap...

Also, what is your rationaly for swaping the pickups? If it is becasue they are noisy that makes sense. but what other reason

I don't actually have any money. That's why I have to rely on christmas/birthday money to buy anything.

I've never customized anything before, so I'm a noob at it. I play mostly Steve Vai/Satriani stuff and cleaner songs from bands like Opeth. I wanna switch out the pickups because I still have the stock on my SG and they sound like crap and I need mre sustain without slapping a bunch of compression on. I barely use my bridge pickup that's why I'm only swapping out the neck.
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
Put a Fernandes Sustainer and a Killswitch in it.

What does a killswitch even do?
Quote by mr_hankey
^All the more reason to change the bridge pickup instead.

I barely use it because the neck pickup is better for leads, not because it sounds worse.
Have you tired lowering the action and raising the pickups to increase gain? what makes it sound like crap to you?
Main Rigs
Guitars

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
Quote by teknotard
Have you tired lowering the action and raising the pickups to increase gain? what makes it sound like crap to you?

It sounds like crap because I go for a cleaner distortion, not extreme distortion but I need the heavy distortion to get the sustain I want.
Quote by MedicreDemon
What does a killswitch even do?

It kills the sound when you flip a switch or press a button. Check out "Jordan" by buckethead
Just as a side note, all of my guitars still have stock pick ups in them, you can often change the tone simply by changing your distortion and or amp settings. I have made my semi hollow sound so heavy it isnt even funny just with the right settings. Honestly, I think you are better off saving for a new guitar or a really good Dist/ overdrive... YOu will be surprised how much better it will sound
Main Rigs
Guitars

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
hmmm if you have a problem with the switchs it might be a wireing issue... i would check that out.... make sure all the connection are correct..
Main Rigs
Guitars

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
Quote by teknotard
hmmm if you have a problem with the switchs it might be a wireing issue... i would check that out.... make sure all the connection are correct..

What?
Last edited by MedicreDemon at Nov 4, 2007,
Quote by MedicreDemon
It sounds like crap because I go for a cleaner distortion, not extreme distortion but I need the heavy distortion to get the sustain I want.

No, you need a new amp.
Would it be better to save for a new guitar or should I upgrade my amp? I have a fender frontman 15G and I thought about buying this http://www.music123.com/Crate-GTD65-Guitar-Amplifier-480063-i1171326.Music123
Quote by mr_hankey
Nooo...
That's really not an upgrade. It's just as bad as your Frontman, only louder.

Well I dont know what to get then. I don't really play loud and I don't gig.
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
A microcube perhaps?

Why would I want a tiny little battery powered amp?
a vox ad30vt would be good and right at that price range

it will make alot of difference on your tone, you may not need to replace pickups
You said you play Satch, so maybe a Mini Colossal? They don't really do metal, I don't think, but for cleans and leads they're quite nice.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
Quote by MedicreDemon
Why would I want a tiny little battery powered amp?

Well, it's not really "battery powered". I think most people don't use it with batteries, but instead use the AC adapter.

Also, it's basically a practicing amp. That's all you can do with it - practice in your bedroom. I suggest you get something bigger, maybe some other Cube, but look into the Voxes too.
i upgraded from a frontman 15g to a microcube and it was awesome.. the microcube has pretty good sustain and the amp modeler lets me get virtually any saound i want. If you don't want to spend mch on a tube amp or you only play for practice get the microcube man.

Its louder than my friend's drumset when i crank it up ;P