My friend left his microcube in my house, and I spent some time playing with it. It is possible one of the worst amp I have ever played! I don't understand why UG loves it so much.

When I first got it. I was quite impressed. It sounds pretty good at the start. And the modeling amp function makes it very versatile.

Then after about half an hour of playing. I realised it's nothing special you can get all those sounds from a decent amp with a EQ contro.

The tone of the thing sucks.

Clean:
Acoustic model sounds nothing like an acoustic. JC clean lacks of characteristics and is very digital. Black panel (no idea what that is suppose to be) is ok, but again, nothing special. In fact, acoustic model gives the best clean tone. And the problem with the clean channel is that it is VERY VERY VERY quiet.

Distortion:
Brit combo is very good I think. It is perfect for black sabbath types of sound but quite muddy. Classic stack is just useless. There is not enough distortion, and is very muddy. R-ier is probably the worst amp modeling. (it is suppose to be the selling point ) There is stupid amount of gain. Very digital sounding (I mean VERY) and it is extremely muddy + all my guitars sound exactly the same through that channel. Completely useless.

Then there is those crappy effects which no one is ever going to use. The worst has got to be the reverb. I mean what the hell is that thing???!

Lacks of EQ control limits the amp a lot. But I guess different amp models overcome that problem. But I'd rather have a 3 band EQ.

Anyway. It is crap. Out of all the crappy amps that I played. (includes MG and spider) It only outclass the MG by a tiny margin. I prefer spiders over this amp. If you are looking for good tone. Go for a junior valve. If you want a stupid amount of effect, buy a spider. Stay away from this and MG!!!

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

I have on and I love it. For what you get for 100 bucks is great. Its small portable and runs on batteries. I take it camping, to work and everywhere i go. Sure its no Marshall Jcm but its hard to beat for the price/portibility. Find me something better for the price.
Taste is subjective, and for what it it is, I think my Cube does a damn good job, with plenty of perfectly useable sounds and effects. For the money, it outclasses any MG or Spider.
MARK ALL THAT APPLY:

[_] [_] [_] [_] [x]

Quote by cagnius
Shut up. Actually, higher mods...can we ban him for being a cunt?
Portability is probably the only good thing about the amp. Line6 spider is definately better IMO.

I forgot to add, at high volume, it sounds even worse than a MG, which makes it practically useless for other things except practise in your own room.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

I am completely with the TS here. I hate those roland cube things. I suggest them because there is little else at that price for metal, however i do often suggest what I started with (sort of) which is a small peavey transtube series amp (such as the rage or blazer) and a distortion pedal. It sounds worlds better, loud enough for a full band practice and really doesnt cost much more. A peavey backstage would do the trick even (although that probably couldnt cope in a full band practice but if you're looking at the miccrocube then that's going to be acceptable anyway)
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
It sounds terrible at high volume. But I think it sounds good at low volumes.

Edit: For a beginner, I mean.
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
I am completely with the TS here. I hate those roland cube things. I suggest them because there is little else at that price for metal, however i do often suggest what I started with (sort of) which is a small peavey transtube series amp (such as the rage or blazer) and a distortion pedal. It sounds worlds better, loud enough for a full band practice and really doesnt cost much more. A peavey backstage would do the trick even (although that probably couldnt cope in a full band practice but if you're looking at the miccrocube then that's going to be acceptable anyway)

I agree.

Microcube is worse than normal cubes. That makes the amp completely ****.

Quote by KileManA7X

I have it and i like it. I recognize it doesn't have a great tone, but for the price and what it got to offer, almost no amp can compare it. The microcube is not for gigging or anything alike, is designed entirely to be a portable/bedroom amp, that's why it got so many effects and many differente tone, but without going to deep on it.

Another thing, the clean models is not quiet, you have to dial the gain knob too to get more volume.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
can you find an example of better tone at a better price?
It sounds great for a 8" speaker or whatever and at £64 you can't go wrong
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I really like the Microcube, and also I can remember when there was no way in hell of getting a sound that good from something so small...crap like Gorilla amps.

The Microcube is an awesome piece of kit, it's cheap, portable and sounds far better than it should. My least favourite model is actually the Rectifier, but the classic stack is great as is the fender model.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
it does sound someone blain, although probably best for metal at this price. I wanna replace it wit ha Vox ad 15vt at asap.

the tone hardly has any soul to it
I have my Fallen Angel for soul
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I agree to an extent. I don't think it's worse than a spider, but I don't think they're great. I agree on most of what you said and I don't really like the R-Fier model either, but a lot of people do, so I recommend it anyway. I like my Vox much better and I play metal on it just fine
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by p.stick
Portability is probably the only good thing about the amp. Line6 spider is definately better IMO.

I forgot to add, at high volume, it sounds even worse than a MG, which makes it practically useless for other things except practise in your own room.

This thing has a 5 inch speaker and is 2 watts. I dont know what else you would buy this amp for? Practise in my room, Plugging headphones in when my baby is sleeping. Taking to the office to play in there. Take camping for around the fire. (batteries!!!)
yeah lol, its just for practice and stuff on the go. And IMO it is way better than the mg's and somewhat better than the spiders. Really its only competition for that class of amps are the vox modellers which i think have better low gain stuff but not as good higher gain stuff of course. You shouldn't really compare a tube amp to a modeller, it is what it is.
I'm not comparing it with tube amps. As a small portable amp, DA5 sounds better + it has more stuff (effects and models)

Also the wattage switch is very helpful.

But I would get the spider 15watt. It's about the same price and you can actaully use it to jam with other guitarists + it sounds better imo.

Quote by KileManA7X

Because:

It's 125 bucks and very portable. It's not a god amp compared to a full combo, but as for the small portable ones it's great.

Maybe you have no ear for tone?? Or got a dud?

My acoustic settieng sound very much like an acoustic with tinkering, the distortion is pretty good, the clean is quiet, but you have a volume knob to turn it up. The effects are all very cool.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Love mine but I find it very bright have to roll back the guitars tone its for bedroom practice and thats what I use it for obviously it would struggle for jamming with proper tube amps.
Legra
RMC Wizard Wah
Blackstar DistX
Modded SD1
Phase 90
ZVex Fuzz Factory
WH4
Laney VC30 112
Roland MicroCube
YouTube!
Irishman of the Laney Cult
I feel that majority of modeling amps diffrent setting are obtainable through change of EQ. I hate the microcube.
I just played one. I think it sounds great. I used the last amp model—the most overdriven one, with a touch of reverb. If it had a speaker output, I would've bought one today. It does have a line-level out, which is also very useful. Plus, it runs on batteries. For $125, you can't beat it.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

If we discuss what we dislike or like about the microcube, this thread will never end. At end of the end of the day is all about preference.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
When you first play it, it seems good. After a while, you will realise you can't get the sounds you want from the amp.

Quote by KileManA7X

i like it. it's cheap, it has a wide range of tones (which is what you want as a beginner), and the fact that it's battery-powered means you don't have to dump it immediately upon upgrading to a larger tube amp.

I don't really see what there is not to like, unless perhaps you like to get one for £5 or something.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by p.stick
When you first play it, it seems good. After a while, you will realise you can't get the sounds you want from the amp.

What more can you ask for than decent tones from a tiny, cheap amp???

The Taj Mahal perhaps? Herds of wildebeest sweeping across the Serengeti?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

nice fawlty towers reference.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^^ It doesn't give you those? WTF?! POS Microcube... I'mma get me one of those Marshall MGs. It's a Marshall - it could give me the Taj Mahal and then knock the thing to the ground with it's crushing distortion.
I have one but I don't use it very often.

It has an amazing smooth sound when I put my Gibson LP through it. It's weak in the low end for metal, but really nice when I do lite distorted blues and some funk using the built in effects.
Like I have said before. DA5 is way better than microcube. So is spider. I don't get why people like it so much tbh.

Quote by KileManA7X

Quote by p.stick

If you try to gig with a microcube, you're stupider than I thought.
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Nov 4, 2007,
Quote by bartdevil_metal
If you try to gig with a microcube, you're stupider than I thought.

Can't you think of any other things, other than giging and practising?

Quote by KileManA7X

Quote by p.stick
Can't you think of any other things, other than giging and practising?

buttseks? there is a reason you don't stick your **** in jack holes you know...

but for what it is, the microcube is a good amp, obviously not going to have amazing tones, but like the guy a few posts above said, for £64, it's not exactly bad...
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by Denthúl
It doesn't give you those? WTF?! POS Microcube... I'mma get me one of those Marshall MGs. It's a Marshall - it could give me the Taj Mahal and then knock the thing to the ground with it's crushing distortion.
Hey, Denthúl! I've heard about those MGs, I hear they're AWESOME! You turn on "GAIN 2" and you can sound like Van Halen! Whoa, dude, can you say . . . MARSHALL STACK!!! I think I'm gonna go online right now and order one from Musician's Friend, and I haven't even played one yet!

EDIT: Duh. I'm so stupid. There's like a WHOLE bunch of MGs on Ebay right now. I mean, like TONS. And they only want like $75!!! I wonder why they're so cheap??? I saw some other amp called a 5165 II or 6050+ or something, but those were like $750. I'm sure that 5050 thing doesn't have that famous "Marshall sound!" I'm gonna start bidding now . . .
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Nov 4, 2007,
Quote by LEVEL4
Hey, Denthúl! I've heard about those MGs, I hear they're AWESOME! You turn on "GAIN 2" and you can sound like Van Halen! Whoa, dude, can you say . . . MARSHALL STACK!!! I think I'm gonna go online right now and order one from Musician's Friend, and I haven't even played one yet!

awesome man, I tried one the other day, i'm 2 feet shorter now because the distortion was so crushing!
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
when people say good stuff about the cube, its usually the cube 30 and 60. the microcube is not made to get awesome tones. it is made to get a decent sound that you can take anywhere. thats why its so small and cheap
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
It's got everything you'd want in a practice amp.

That's probably why it's marketed as a practice amp.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.