I need to learn how to do something like improvised solos but theres 2 problems i have.
1. i dont know how to find the key of a song. like if the chords are: G A D
how would i know what key to play in?
2. When i do find the key how do i know what type of scale to play in. like if the scale out of G A D is G then how do i know to play in G major, G minor, G pentatonic etc...

I need to be able to hear songs that have like 6-8 different chords, know the key, and be able to play a solo right from it.
i keep like trying to play a solo by following a key but then it changes and doesnt work.
im still kinda new to guitar so could someone help me out?
Analyze the chords.
G = G D B
A = A C# E
D = D F# A
If you put the notes in order: A B C# D E F# G A= D major. That's the key of the song, hence you could use the A major scale to solo over those chords, but you could also use G major pentatonic, A major pentatonic or D major pentatonic, along with lots of others. When starting to solo, it's a good idea to focus on the chord tones, and build it from there.

The best advice I can give you is to start learning some theory. Have a look at the indtroctury theory lessons here on U-G as a start.
Last edited by kyrreca at Nov 4, 2007,
most songs are in the key of the first chord played. Not too much trouble. Somethimes finding the root note of the first key is easier to do. Most of the time u can solo in major, minor, major/minor penatonic and blues scales over anything. Penatonics and Blues scales sound bluesy, and Major and minor scales can be used for anything really, but mostly rock. If u try to improvise over a random song, u might have some trouble getting it to sound right. But over a jam track, u should know the key and style.
First thing you have to do before tackling any of this stuff is to learn the notes on the fretboard, otherwise you're just pissing into the wind.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Galvanise69
Dont you mean D major, theres no G# in any of his chords, theres only two chords so the key would be D major/B minor.

yes, sorry. i was stoned when i posted that