i hear slash solo/improvise and it sounds awsome. i try hard to find out what scales he does it in. if n e one has any idea what scale he usually improvises in please tell me!!!
natural minor, minor pentatonic, mixolydian (major scale w/ minor 7th), etc...

the fact is, slash hears intervals well, and doesn't have much formal theory training. His favourite sounds are similar to what you'll hear in the above mentioned scales, but there are probably very few slash solos that were written with a scale in mind... just a sound.
Wear a top hat and play a Les Paul through a Wah and a Marshall. I find his tone and sound is pretty easy to achieve really. His playing style is your typical hard rock (ala Aerosmith), based on pentatonic scales and a lot of kickassery.
Mainly the minor pentatonic, but is known for adding in chromatic notes outside the scale.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
he plays pentatonic from one view. But you could say he plays hiw own scale; like one mentioned he plays whatever he wants to hear.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
he basis alot of his solos around the minor pentetonic but adds alot of ouside notes like the major 3, major 6, flat 5. pretty much all the notes are fair game for slash but his solos always sound cool.
Get a thin-gauge string set, like 008s or maybe 009s.

Seriously, the man bends like crazy, and thick strings = insta-death for your fingers.

Also, when improvising live, I've seen him use the Phrygian and Phrygian Dominant modes to get a Spanish-like sound, and he's also used it in some of his solos on Velvet Revolver's albums. He mainly uses pentatonics, but he enhances them with his bending and vibrato skills.
Quote by JMV12
Get a thin-gauge string set, like 008s or maybe 009s.

Seriously, the man bends like crazy, and thick strings = insta-death for your fingers.

Also, when improvising live, I've seen him use the Phrygian and Phrygian Dominant modes to get a Spanish-like sound, and he's also used it in some of his solos on Velvet Revolver's albums. He mainly uses pentatonics, but he enhances them with his bending and vibrato skills.

Slash uses 11's on a 24 3/4 scale guitar (Les Paul) thats tuned down half a step. I use it to, and for me it's the perfect blend between having thick strings (powerful sound) and nice bendability. (I know it's not a word.)
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."