I was just curious, for those of you that pick with your fingers, how long you let your nails get. I let mine get about 2mm of white at the end. For me that's the perfect amount of nail that lets me just barely knick the string with my nail and get a really nice twang-ish sound.
I also find that on my fretting hand I like to have about the same amount of white nail at the end. It's more of a hand comfort issue as well as a hand balance issue. I figure I can get away with nails that guitarists would consider a little long because of the thicker strings.

So how 'bout you guys and gals?
GAS List:
Nothing
i dont let my fingernails grow
because when i fingerpick
i pick from under the string
and then the strings gets caught on the nail
then it hurts
yep
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
Fingering or a plastic pick ftw, personally I find growing my nails out uncomfortable, odd to play with too.
I keep mine pretty short, so I get a nice, smooth, warm sound as opposed to a pick like attack.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
finger picking a bass does not involve your nails. i don't chew my nails, but i keep them trimmed, no longer than my finger tip. both hands.

Edit: side note to the guys. keep your fingernails clean, girls notice things, like that.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
finger picking a bass does not involve your nails. i don't chew my nails, but i keep them trimmed, no longer than my finger tip. both hands.

Edit: side note to the guys. keep your fingernails clean, girls notice things, like that.

This man speaks truth, follow his example.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by 83lespaulstudio

As one of the few females on this forum, yes chewed or unhealthy looking finger nails are a big put off. I am not saying go get a manicure, but keep 'em clean and trimmed.

As a woman, I never bought into the whole nail obsession thing with the manicures etc. Keeping my nails short, slightly below or at the same length as my fingertips, has been one of the big plusses of being a bass player.
I try to keep them short enough to support the tip of my finger when I speed up my playing.

However, I've been feeling really tense recently, so I've gone back to biting my nails... Need to loosen up really.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I hate catching the string with my nail while playing, so I trim my nails about once a week to well below my finger tips.
I don't really have a comfort zone for how long I need my fingernails to be, but I just try to keep them not long since I also play the piano.
KONRAD
"My cat's breath smells like cat food."
Short enough so that they don't affect my sound or playing

i.e. Not hitting the strings
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by indie-bassist
This man speaks truth, follow his example.

mine are beautifull clean
but my fingers are gross
hahah cuts and callousses and bruises
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
I get really uncomfortable playing if my nails are longer than 1mm. So very trim is me. I carry nail clippers and filing board with me to gigs... meaning I've had the odd look when filing down my nails into shape.
I keep my fingernails as short as possible. Hate it when you catch a nail on the string and not only get a horrible trebly clang out of them, but usually bend your nail back too.

I also fingerpick on steel string acoustic guitar and prefer the mellow tone of the fingers than the tinny nail tone, so no nails for me.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I keep the nails on my picking fingers as short as possible, especially my index. I file them whenever they start to have the white tips. I HATE the sound of a nail hitting the strings, it gives me chills down my spine.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
Quote by watchingmefall
Me too, but I've been trying to quit.

You should start smoking. It'll clear that nail biting habit right up.
GAS List:
Nothing
Quote by Flummery
You should start smoking. It'll clear that nail biting habit right up.

Worked for me.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I cut them as soon as I grab my bass and I hear a twang when I pull the string.
So an irishman walks out of a bar.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio

yea, i keep my nails so there well below my finger, its called fingerpicking not finger and kind of a bit of your nail picking

and man, rick

you are tuly a man of never ceasing knowledge haha

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
i bite them too
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Quote by Narcotics
yea, i keep my nails so there well below my finger, its called fingerpicking not finger and kind of a bit of your nail picking

and man, rick

you are truly a man of never ceasing bullsh*t haha

fixed!

i love this room. lol
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Nov 4, 2007,
Quote by Caustic
Worked for me.

Me too. Lol

I keep mine a short as possible without hurting myself
Does the job
I try to keep them as short as possible, although trying to avoid that horrible feeling of having nails that are TOO short.

It's weird though, cuz my right hand always has short nails, and my left has longer ones.
I file them down (as girly as that sounds), I hate it when they catch the string.

I do hate it when I play too much after I trimmed them down and the underside starts bleeding .
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
Last edited by KKING911 at Nov 5, 2007,
As short as possible meaning no white at all.
Dingwall Afterburner I 5 string
Warwick Blue Cab 30 practice amp
Quote by thefitz
But hold on - you're debating on whether or not to buy a bass or keep your house? That's pretty fucking hardcore!
Last edited by pagiatis at Nov 5, 2007,
<--nail biter

my nails look disgusting :\
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
I trim them as short as possible as often as possible. I've never liked it when my nails were long, even before bass.
2006 Warwick
MASTODON