right after many an amp search I've decided to get a nice little 15 watt valve amp for my bedroom

Problem is I've come across two Ive heard are good in my price range (£190) the peavey Windsor studio (15 watt) and the laney LC15 (also 15 watts)

Now the kind of music I'm into is primarily heavy metal, like classic metallica and joe satriani and more recent stuff like avenged sevenfold

Also since I may invest in a pedal to boost the gain (Ive been told both amps respond well to this) which sounds better for my kind of music when its boosted like that?

Which of these two would be better for each?

sorry i cant check em myself beyond internet clips cause I dont ahve time and the stores wont bring em in
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
i would say save up for a vox ac15. they are beautiful but you will need a good od to gt that metal sound.

although the laney is second best imo.
Quote by lilchimp818
i would say save up for a vox ac15. they are beautiful but you will need a good od to gt that metal sound.

although the laney is second best imo.

I cant moneys only trickling in at the moment am afraid

And anyway I'm jsut looking for a nice cheap but good valve amp to replace my MG30 before I look into gig worthy amps

£190 is all I can manage, maybe £210 at a push
Gear:
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
go for laney and an O.D pedal. i used to own an LC...very marshall sounding. Could nail those early metallica sounds pretty well.
kwl, any particular OD pedal that work for it? oh and btw would a solid state or a tube OD pedal be best for boosting it?
Gear:
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
Don't know any particular...I had a bad monkey (which is based on the Ibanez Tubescreamer) to nail me some Slash tones . (these are both solid state).

i don't see why solid state wouldn't work for you though,
kwl thanks dude
If no one else manages to sway me the other way I'll be buying the laney ina few days then :p
Gear:
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
Yeah, go for it. As for an OD pedal, that preamp valve stuff is nonsense is most cases - any decent SS overdrive combined with the gain in your amp will get you a good hi-gain tone. If you're really strapped for cash the Behringer 'Vintage Tube Overdrive' is the best budget TS clone around, though it's useless for anything other than practice due to background noise and cheapo plastic construction.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You'd have to wait a bit for the Peavey Windsor Studio. Not due til next month.
If it's anything like its big brother, the Peavey Windsor, it would definitely do metal better than a Laney LC15.

Exactly might thoughts.

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by forsaknazrael
I might buy it, simply on the fact that it can use KT66 tubes.

Oh, nice. I hadn't really looked into it yet, but I will now!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I've been waiting for the Windsor studio for 8 ****ing months.

What the **** happened to release in June???
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
I think the windsor studio is already released in the UK, the online stores have it listed, including gak (I trust em lol)

So ,,,, probs sticking to the LC15, but the windsor does seem tempting,,,trouble is I know very little about it
Gear:
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
Quote by forsaknazrael
You'd have to wait a bit for the Peavey Windsor Studio. Not due til next month.
If it's anything like its big brother, the Peavey Windsor, it would definitely do metal better than a Laney LC15.

+1

windsor studio isn't out yet, so no-one knows.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by sajuuk
I think the windsor studio is already released in the UK, the online stores have it listed, including gak (I trust em lol)

So ,,,, probs sticking to the LC15, but the windsor does seem tempting,,,trouble is I know very little about it

it's not. some uk sites had it listed when i emailed peavey to be told it wasn't yet released in europe.

i hear january, but obviously that could change.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ah in that case screw it, I think I'll get the laney LC15 then

Unless anyone can suggest another valve in the same price range (now £210)
Gear:
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
how quickly do you need it? if it were me, I'd wait so i could try it but then (a) i'm a procrastinator, (b) I don't like to rush purchases and like to think things through, (c) I already have an amp and (d) am not in a band or anything where I might need one quickly.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
nah dont need it quickly, but having sed that I'm new to actually owning valve amps, and I dont like rushing my purchases either hence why I've taken such a long time to look into various amps

plus I seriously dislike my MG ,,,,not cause of the flamers who mosta the time are probs on the band wagon ,,,, but cause I seriously dont like it so I suppose in that way I do need it

And thats another reason why I am running it in such a low budget, I dont want a super high quality one, just one that can tide me over

So in that sense I suppose I do need it,,,,just sumin to give me a better tone to tide me over till I need to look into gig worthy amps I suppose (I aint in a band just yet)

sound a bit daft? lol
Gear:
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
Quote by forsaknazrael
^I would wait, as well. The Windsor Studio MIGHT be worthwhile...so you never know.

i agree. the problem is none of the amps which are tube in your price range are really aimed at metal- except the windsor studio, which, if it's anything like the head, MIGHT do it. It might not, but it'd be worth waiting for if you ask me.

the windsor head is actually going for £200 on sound control... but you'd need a cab too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i agree. the problem is none of the amps which are tube in your price range are really aimed at metal- except the windsor studio, which, if it's anything like the head, MIGHT do it. It might not, but it'd be worth waiting for if you ask me.

the windsor head is actually going for £200 on sound control... but you'd need a cab too.

suppose thats a good point, ok i shall be patient and wait, my price range might actually be higher by the time the windsor arrives as well
Gear:
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC