I'm a guitarist (i'm no n00b, but im not exactly Michael Angelo Batio) but i want to
know bass as well.
i know most guitarists are all "if you can play guitar you can play bass)
but we all know thats not 100% true
Anyways i'm planning on getting a descent used bass soon
i need help

i play mostly hard rock and metal
What should i look for in a bass?

[/walloftextthatsomeofyouwereboredenoughtoread]

thx in advance
My You'll be the Baddest Dude in Revere!

My Gear:
-Fender Mexican Stratocaster
-Silvertone Paul Stanley Signature Acoustic
-Fender Princeton 65w
-DOD Death Metal
Everytime I hear someone say they are a guitarist "converting" to bass, it makes me laugh. It sounds like we're some religious group or cult. Well...again that might be true in some respect...

Anyways, there are a ton of threads out there on this question. Not counting yours, about 43 since mid-October to be exact. Do a quick search and see if any of them can answer your questions. It would also be helpful if you could let us know what your budget is and if you are going to need a bass amp as well. (And please, don't ask if you can play bass through your guitar amp, the answer is no).
What's your budget? And not to come across as harsh but thinking you can play bass if you can play is less than "not 100% true"

Do you play drop tunings often?
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
i play drop tunings sometimes
my budget is bad im talking $200 -$300
i can get a bass amp from a friend cheap

My Gear:
-Fender Princeton 65w
-DOD Death Metal
Ibanez makes good entry-level basses in that range. I think a guitar player learning the bass, especially in rock and metal, would prefer a thinner, quicker neck. Ibanez models have just that.
I'd go for a 5...Thicker neck, but faster. Look at Ibanez and Fenders.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
thanks man

My Gear:
-Fender Princeton 65w
-DOD Death Metal
If you are looking used, you could get a decent Ibanez for that price and its pretty functional in your choice of musical genre.

My advice is to get to a good used music store and try out some basses in your price range. I just checked my local shops website and they have no less than 10 basses in your budget.
Quote by anarkee
It sounds like we're some religious group or cult. Well...again that might be true in some respect...

There is a Bass Players Brotherhood somewhere on the net lol.

And if your starting, you want somthing reasonable, I would go for a Yamaha RBX series or a lower down Ibanez soundgear.

If you can play guitar, some aspects will help you, though mainly this is just theory. A guitarist never has to lay down the funky groove while keeping the time with both the drums and the rythmn guitar. Bass is about the bridge between the drummer and the guitarist, while guitar is more out there by itself, well rythmn is differant I guess.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I wonder if theres alot of Bassist converting to guitarist threads in the guitar fourm...

Anyway, you could go with a pack and have everything right there.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Oh my god.

If that post of yours is considered a to be a wall of text these days, I've lost faith in mankind.
Quote by sammcl-15
I'd go for a 5...Thicker neck, but faster. Look at Ibanez and Fenders.

I'm calling bad advice on starting with the five. And recommending brands. The TS should search for his own damn bass, instead of asking for other people's opinions.

And before you say that "but he uses drop tunings a lot, a 5er will be easier," I'd like you to look at drop tuning bassists like Ryan Martinie of Mudvayne. Sure, it may be possible to convert his drop C and drop B 4 string stuff to a 5 string, but it's DAMN HARD, especially converting drop C to 5 string standard, having to hit the first fret like so:

B 1-13-1-13-15-13-11

8th notes at 180bpm.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I'm calling bad advice on starting with the five. And recommending brands. The TS should search for his own damn bass, instead of asking for other people's opinions.

And before you say that "but he uses drop tunings a lot, a 5er will be easier," I'd like you to look at drop tuning bassists like Ryan Martinie of Mudvayne. Sure, it may be possible to convert his drop C and drop B 4 string stuff to a 5 string, but it's DAMN HARD, especially converting drop C to 5 string standard, having to hit the first fret like so:

B 1-13-1-13-15-13-11

8th notes at 180bpm.

curiously
is it bad to tune the B up to a C?

I forgot if that would really mess with it a lot.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

B 1-13-1-13-15-13-11

8th notes at 180bpm.

A--3-3-5-3-1
E ---------------
B 1-1-----------

Yeah...
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Deliriumbassist
It's much easier to play it downtuned, especially at high speeds. So schtum.

May well be, but at the same time, it can be done. As well as that, who says you can't tune the B up to a C?
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Forcemaster
May well be, but at the same time, it can be done. As well as that, who says you can't tune the B up to a C?

I'm not saying that can't be done. However, why is it you think bassists in bands that down-tune generally match the tuning of the guitar, and drop the low B to, say G in drop C tunings? Because it's generally easier to play the riffs matching the guitar, and then you have the lower notes to throw in some nice bits of muddy awesomeness.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I'm not saying that can't be done. However, why is it you think bassists in bands that down-tune generally match the tuning of the guitar, and drop the low B to, say G in drop C tunings? Because it's generally easier to play the riffs matching the guitar, and then you have the lower notes to throw in some nice bits of muddy awesomeness.

In some cases that may be viable, but I really think that not buying an extended range bass because you can't drop tune is hugely ironic and unnecessary in the majority of cases.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Forcemaster
In some cases that may be viable, but I really think that not buying an extended range bass because you can't drop tune is hugely ironic and unnecessary in the majority of cases.

Welcome to the world of metal bass playing

Well, mainly melodeath and nu-metal