I have played guitar for 2-3 months now, and I took a look on this song. The solo is not too hard, but this bit really pisses me off. I have a crappy Ibanez GRX40 and GTA10 amp (jumpstart package). When I'm trying to play this, it sounds so light! Especially when I play on E and 10th fret. In the song, it sounds a little darker, not that light. Can I solve this problem with my crap eq? I probably gonna buy a Roland Cube 20x, would it work with it?

(4:35)
E-10--10^r-7--------10----------------------10------------------------------
B-----------------10^----10^r---8--------------------------------------------
G---------------------------------------x-x-9^--------9^r---7---7p6--7-----
D---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
it really depends on your gear, because probably the guitar player from eagles uses some od or something, and it sounds darker
or it could be the tab, but it looks right to me :P
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Quote by Popsai
it really depends on your gear, because probably the guitar player from eagles uses some od or something, and it sounds darker
or it could be the tab, but it looks right to me :P

Okay, that's what I thought. But it doesn't sound so good when I play it, and i want it to sound nice Is the problem solved with new amp, or is a new guitar needed too?
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
2-3 months playing? It will be you as well, I am not trying to put you down, because you can probably play it fine, but what I have sepnt time doing recently is really looking at the emotion as well as perfect technique that the great players put into their licks and playing on the whole. It will take time, but yes the gear doesn't help, if you are enjoying playing and have made progress then go for some new gear, if finances are an issue I'd say amp first then new guitar later. If the gear rewards you with a nice sound/tone it is encouraging.

Craug
Floyd Rose DST-2
Vox AD15VT
Quote by 6StringCraig
2-3 months playing? It will be you as well, I am not trying to put you down, because you can probably play it fine, but what I have sepnt time doing recently is really looking at the emotion as well as perfect technique that the great players put into their licks and playing on the whole. It will take time, but yes the gear doesn't help, if you are enjoying playing and have made progress then go for some new gear, if finances are an issue I'd say amp first then new guitar later. If the gear rewards you with a nice sound/tone it is encouraging.

Craug

I enjoy playing, but I don't make fast progress though, I can play like 4-5 full songs (well not the solos), some scales and a couple of famous riffs. But as I said, I like playing.

What do you guys suggest for gear? Like I said, I have looked on a Roland Cube 20x. Cheap and I tried the amp at a friend, sounded good enough for me. I'm thinking a little of some Squier. And this I gotta ask: Is it any difference between for example a Fender Stratcaster or a Squier by Fender?
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
well i myself am not much of a fender person, i dont like the giant pick guards on most of them so i cant help you with the squire fender question, but i can tell you squier is not the best choice, i would suggest something like a schecter or a cheap ESP or something like that but then again it all depends on your taste.
by the way as an after thought what does any one think about the schecter damien six and how does the basswood body sound?
thinking about getting the damien but havent had a chance to try it yet...
any way yea
Rocking the world
One solo at a time
Quote by Kirkcrimson
well i myself am not much of a fender person, i dont like the giant pick guards on most of them so i cant help you with the squire fender question, but i can tell you squier is not the best choice, i would suggest something like a schecter or a cheap ESP or something like that but then again it all depends on your taste.
by the way as an after thought what does any one think about the schecter damien six and how does the basswood body sound?
thinking about getting the damien but havent had a chance to try it yet...
any way yea

But has ESP's thin necks? And is it any ESP for under 250-300 $?
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
I think that you're looking a bit too deep into this, getting a new guitar isn't the first option you should jump to really.

The tone in that solo is extremely compressed, distorted, fuzzed and very midrange-ish. I guarantee if you got a compression pedal, a fuzz, boosted your mids and played on your middle / neck humbucker, you could do it perfectly...that tone isn't something that comes straight out of an amp.

Just because you can't do a solo to the classic eagles when you've only been playing for three months doesn't mean you need a new guitar.

You can quote me on this one... "Tone is directly proportional to money." And the guitar and amp aren't the only factors that make it. For alot of musicians (eric johnson is a good example) 2x as much money goes into effects and live mixing as into guitars and amplifiers. Good luck replicating his tone with a transitor amp and an entry level ibanez, you know?

My 2 cents...

*edit* Don't buy another entry level guitar. Buy something 599+USD, or you'll regret it eventually.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at Nov 7, 2007,
You've been playing 2-3 months. That's the answer. You won't master that for a few more years. And if you do, then you're special...
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
I play mostly classic rock like Black Sabbath but also much Metallica. What do you suggest for guitars for like 350-400 €?
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Quote by Marsbe
You don't need a new guitar n00b.

Why not?
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube