Hi. I am expanding my rack to further get the sound i want( such as the BBE sonic maximizer for clarity, thank you fitz) and i have a question about a few things.

I am deciding between the SansAmp RBI and the BBE Bmax. What are the differences? pros/cons? sound differences? do you have personal experience with either? i think you get the idea.

The other thing is, they are both tube emulators. So, if i get a tube amp (such as the fusion 550 when it finally comes out) will the sansamp or Bmax be useless?
Quote by treebranch13
Hi. I am expanding my rack to further get the sound i want( such as the BBE sonic maximizer for clarity, thank you fitz) and i have a question about a few things.

I am deciding between the SansAmp RBI and the BBE Bmax. What are the differences? pros/cons? sound differences? do you have personal experience with either? i think you get the idea.

The other thing is, they are both tube emulators. So, if i get a tube amp (such as the fusion 550 when it finally comes out) will the sansamp or Bmax be useless?

When i was in a band my bass player used to buzz over the BBE and said you could play demi-semi-quavers and every note would be clearly heard. so yeah that sounds the better of the 2 but is the only one ive heard of
Quote by treebranch13

Plenty of professional bassists who use tube amps or amps with a tube pre use the Tech 21 Sans Amp RBI.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Well, here's how I see it - the BBE has a Sonic Maximizer, and the SansAmp doesn't! For me, that's the total dealbreaker. However, the SansAmp has that famous distortion, so what do you as a player value more?

But aside from the Maximizing and Distorting, let's look at the front end.

You know I'm a fan of 'honest' tones - if I wanted tubes, I'd get tubes! No substitute for the real thing! The fact that you can 'blend' it in scares me off personally - it sounds like an effect as opposed to a useful feature. That said, the presence knob is nice, but once again, I prefer control over actual frequencies. The standard 3-band EQ is always lacking.

IMO The RBI is more meant for total amp-less rigs, like Geddy Lee's.

The BBE does have gain control - perhaps you can get some SansAmp like distortion. However, distortion through a BBE Sonic Maximizer is the best thing I've ever heard. 2 big advantages - an onboard compressor is always important, as is my favourite - a parametric EQ! Granted it's only 1 band, but that tonal control is great.

So I clearly would pick the BBE, but that's only because it suits my specific needs. If the RBI is better for you, go ahead and get it. However, I think you could get the best of both worlds if you picked up the BBE with a SansAmp pedal, or vice versa.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Well, you could get one as a stomp as one as a rack - whichever you feel as more useful, get in a rackmount. Or, get the RBI and then get a BBE MaxCom.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..