Well they're offering a guitar-building course at LADO guitars, same guys that built this most beautiful piece of guitar:

I'm wondering whether I should apply to the course which lasts 20 weeks, instead of going and doing a Masters Degree at uni.. (I didn't enjoy uni much). The course costs about the same as a master's year, accomodation and all.

With this course you get taught how to build a guitar from scratch, you get to keep it, and you get a certificate at the end which basically qualifies you as a luthier (to whatever extent I dunno, but I guess it's a worthy certificate). I'm wondering if this will be as worthy as a Masters degree as I don't particularly want to go into teaching which seems to be the only thing my degree leads to.
This isn't a decision to be taken lightly, but if you're in an education path which would lead you into a career you won't enjoy, I'd say go with what you love doing.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
yea, i agree, if its what you want to do then do it.
Could lead you into a nice career making exclusive guitars or something, you never know
that depends what your degree is in and what career you're actually interested in. i'm finishing finance but plan on going to flight school for example. go figure
I love my...

Parker Nitefly Mojo - custom
Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Seagull Artist Studio cutaway I-beam

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
Quote by tasty licks
that depends what your degree is in and what career you're actually interested in. i'm finishing finance but plan on going to flight school for example. go figure

It's what they call a "mickey mouse" degree.. it's a joint in sociology and film & TV. I must say it was a very interesting and rewarding course in that sense, but in terms of the real world it's kinda useless.

Since I picked up guitar (about 4 years ago now) I've become more and more obsessed with it I would be very happy building/fixing guitars for a living, just wondering if that certificate would get me "in the door" at places!
Quote by Arndee
It's what they call a "mickey mouse" degree.. it's a joint in sociology and film & TV. I must say it was a very interesting and rewarding course in that sense, but in terms of the real world it's kinda useless.

Since I picked up guitar (about 4 years ago now) I've become more and more obsessed with it I would be very happy building/fixing guitars for a living, just wondering if that certificate would get me "in the door" at places!

That would depend on how good you are, where you at for putting the bussiness and how much promotion you do to the store, also you should give out some of the 1st ones to anyone famous so people start knowing your sig, then you just get morem oney and a bigger place to work, employees and etc and thats exactly how ibanez started out (just that the guy with the concept was names ibañez and he misteriously dissapeared and the owner of the place just said "change it to ibanez and lets mass produce it") and this is a descision only you can take, what you love more will make you put more ffort on what you do so just do what you feel on...
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
dude cant you take a year off your masters and do it later?
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
Ya, what T Heff said.

Unless its the money issue,which I can understand. Honestly man, I would take the path that makes you happy.. who gives rats ass if you in a good job.. its not worth it if it makes you miserable, right?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by t heff
dude cant you take a year off your masters and do it later?

I can only really afford one of them

PM if you'd like to collaborate on any rock/hard rock/metal stuff
      Ya, as I said. Most people can't afford 2 post secondary educations. Well theres always the option of going on a gut feeling, and knowing that you had the bollocks to do what you really wanted.
      Enjoi <--- Friend me
      Quote by Scowmoo
      Otter, you're my new god.
      Quote by Øttər
      Ya, what T Heff said.

Unless its the money issue,which I can understand. Honestly man, I would take the path that makes you happy.. who gives rats ass if you in a good job.. its not worth it if it makes you miserable, right?

Very good point

Quote by Øttər
          Ya, as I said. Most people can't afford 2 post secondary educations. Well theres always the option of going on a gut feeling, and knowing that you had the bollocks to do what you really wanted.

Mmm, bollocks.

I'd honestly prefer anything involving guitars to academia..

Cheers!

i looked into the school and it would be cheaper to go to mi for building guitars and mi is a better school so

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182
              Quote by t heff
              i looked into the school and it would be cheaper to go to mi for building guitars and mi is a better school so

Will it be the same as tuition from Joe Lado himself?

But I'll look into it, thanks

it will be cheaper then lado and you get more out of it

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182
                  Quote by t heff
                  it will be cheaper then lado and you get more out of it

I've ordered info from them, so we'll see soon Thanks dude

Met Joe Lado today, and I have to say, taking a course with him will be the best thing you've ever done. He's an amazing guy, and builds amazing guitars. Go for it.
                      Quote by Codog
                      Met Joe Lado today, and I have to say, taking a course with him will be the best thing you've ever done. He's an amazing guy, and builds amazing guitars. Go for it.

Cool! Were you ordering/picking up a guitar or something?

I looked into the Lado school too. Its in the middle of nowhere. Lindsay is not a nice place. Very backwoods "inbred jed". 20 weeks in a town most Canadian people wouldnt cross the street to visit .... it better be good.

I have not heard anything from any former students. Would be nice if some popped up to tell their story. Lado will tell you all sorts of stories yet he aint exactly Martin, Gibson, etc .... he'll tell you he is better but is he? What happened? Was it a focus on quality not quantity? Well he went Korean so I dont think that was it. He tried endorsements with Iron Maiden and that fell out of the sky suddenly. Almost as is someone really pissed someone else off. The real story is out there .. but its the former students who have the best view.
                          Quote by bbqrib
                          I looked into the Lado school too. Its in the middle of nowhere. Lindsay is not a nice place. Very backwoods "inbred jed". 20 weeks in a town most Canadian people wouldnt cross the street to visit .... it better be good.

I have not heard anything from any former students. Would be nice if some popped up to tell their story. Lado will tell you all sorts of stories yet he aint exactly Martin, Gibson, etc .... he'll tell you he is better but is he? What happened? Was it a focus on quality not quantity? Well he went Korean so I dont think that was it. He tried endorsements with Iron Maiden and that fell out of the sky suddenly. Almost as is someone really pissed someone else off. The real story is out there .. but its the former students who have the best view.

Look I know you're new here but it is not acceptable to post in a thread that is more than a year old, it annoys people, nobody likes it, and I personally don't know how you people find them. Try not to do it again
                          I actually got mildly excited when I saw Otter posted in here, then I looked at the post date.

Just by looking at your post there, it sounds like you just want to stir up **** in here. I'm almost tepted to report you for necrobumping, but I'm in a good mood.
                          R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.