I got my Peavey Valveking 112 about 3-4 months ago, and have just recently started turning the volume up to any substantial level. But when I get the volume up, I get some serious rattling sounds. One that sounds like the cage around the tubes (or maybe the tubes themselves) are rattling, and another sound like a torn speaker cone even though I don't see or feel any tears on the speaker. I've tried tightening the screws on the tube cage, but that didn't stop the rattle. I was wondering if anyone else with a Valveking has had this problem, or (since this is my first tube amp) if I could get some help maybe learning how to make sure the tubes are in tight enough. I'd also like to know if anyone knows what that "torn speaker cone" sound might be.

thanks,
unix
I can't answer your question, but I must ask this...is your username in any way related to the operating system?
Quote by Denthúl
I can't answer your question, but I must ask this...is your username in any way related to the operating system?

lol...Yeah, I just find that nobody ever uses it for a username, so I can always have the same one on just about every site. And yes, I use Linux on both my laptop and desktop.
Sweeeeeeeet. I have Linux on this PC (Fedora Core 7) but I haven't set it up properly, and I haven't figured out how to use it.

Does the rattling sound occur on all notes, or just specific ones? I had the problem for a while with my VJ, but it went away. I didn't do anything to it, though o.0
Quote by Denthúl
Sweeeeeeeet. I have Linux on this PC (Fedora Core 7) but I haven't set it up properly, and I haven't figured out how to use it.

Yeah, I've been using it for years, so I'm pretty good with Linux.

Quote by Denthúl

Does the rattling sound occur on all notes, or just specific ones? I had the problem for a while with my VJ, but it went away. I didn't do anything to it, though o.0

But about my amp, yeah, it really rattling on power chords higher up the neck, and also 12th fret or higher on the low E.
Make sure you thoroughly check the room for vibrating picture frames, etc. One drove me nuts for three months before I discovered it wasn't my amp at all.
I know someone else who bought one and had this issue. Shoddy construction apparently, with a poorly mounted front panel and flimsy frame. Its the vibrations of the speaker shaking it around.
Quote by CJRocker
I know someone else who bought one and had this issue. Shoddy construction apparently, with a poorly mounted front panel and flimsy frame. Its the vibrations of the speaker shaking it around.

Yeah, I figured as much. Did he ever fix it? And if he did, how? I'm trying to figure it out, but I'm not so good with all this gear yet.
Hello,

I have the same problem with my Peavey Valveking 112 AND Valveking 8. The rattling sound comes from the tube/tube-socket. I have tried holding the tubes with my hands, and voilá, the noise disappeared. The thing is, I don't want to hold the tubes with my hands when I play the guitar, that would be very irritating
I have not fixed this problem, and it's driving me insane. One obvious solution would be to remove the head of the amp and put in a separate (home-made) box.
The nois comes from vibration from the speaker.

The other noise is from the front panel. It sounds like the amp is ****ting all over itself. I really hate this poor craftmanship.

It's a real pity, because the amp itself produces a very nice clean sound. But with the rattling it is obviously useless.

Have you come up with any solution? I would love to have my (both) problems fixed.

(PS. I also use linux)
Quote by unix
Yeah, I figured as much. Did he ever fix it? And if he did, how? I'm trying to figure it out, but I'm not so good with all this gear yet.

Sorry I never responded... I believe he just flat out sent it back.
I have the same problem with my new Palomino when I crank it, but it doesn't bug me too much.
I'm not a punk rock hero and you're no fairy princess, just 'cause you're beautiful and I've got a stupid haircut.
I realize this thread is a few days old but I just bought a Peavey Valveing 112. It is my first tube amp but I had a similar problem with vibrations in a previous peavey amp that I had. It was coming from the speaker. The Blue Marvels that were in this amp had a hard time handling low end. I threw a couple Celestions in the amp and the vibration went away. I guess I was just wondering if all of you still have the stock "Valveking" speaker in there. I was planning on putting a Celestion V30 in it soon but I do not receive it until next wednesday!!! Damn Holidays!! Anyway anybody have any thoughts?

Quote by unix
I got my Peavey Valveking 112 about 3-4 months ago, and have just recently started turning the volume up to any substantial level. But when I get the volume up, I get some serious rattling sounds. One that sounds like the cage around the tubes (or maybe the tubes themselves) are rattling, and another sound like a torn speaker cone even though I don't see or feel any tears on the speaker. I've tried tightening the screws on the tube cage, but that didn't stop the rattle. I was wondering if anyone else with a Valveking has had this problem, or (since this is my first tube amp) if I could get some help maybe learning how to make sure the tubes are in tight enough. I'd also like to know if anyone knows what that "torn speaker cone" sound might be.

thanks,
unix
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Hand Built(by me) guitar w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Digitech Hardwire Chromatic Tuner
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
I still have the stock speaker. No problems with it, it sounds good for my classic rock/blues. I don't gig but I play about once a week with a group at mid volume or no more than 3/4 volume. I have dimed it but it was too loud, didn't have rattle. I do think you did the right thing replacing the speaker, as you probably play newer music with different frequency curves. Its still a pretty nice amp for the money, rivals some more expensive amps.
If you would like some amp settings feel free to pm me. Even though you obviously know what you are doing I may have stumbled across something that might help you, and maybe you could share your settings with me. Its a deceptively complicated little beast.
Merry Christmas, Happy New Year. Hope you get to jam some.
Yeah thanks, I will let you know when I get it. I may retube it as well. I have heard some others have had great results with that as well. JJ power tubes and Tung Sol Preamp tubes. We shall see. Happy New Year to you as well.
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
Quote by uldhppi
I still have the stock speaker. No problems with it, it sounds good for my classic rock/blues. I don't gig but I play about once a week with a group at mid volume or no more than 3/4 volume. I have dimed it but it was too loud, didn't have rattle. I do think you did the right thing replacing the speaker, as you probably play newer music with different frequency curves. Its still a pretty nice amp for the money, rivals some more expensive amps.
If you would like some amp settings feel free to pm me. Even though you obviously know what you are doing I may have stumbled across something that might help you, and maybe you could share your settings with me. Its a deceptively complicated little beast.
Merry Christmas, Happy New Year. Hope you get to jam some.

So I just received my Valveking the other day and have been playing it as much as I can and experimenting with different sounds. I also have the vibrations that were priviously talked about in this thread. Again, seems like it is the tube sockets or whatever but definately is not the metal panel in the front because I temporarily removed it so I could paint over the wings. I would like to exchange some settings and ideas. I still have to break in the speaker a bit so I will get back to you.
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey