So i have this tele build going and im not too satisfied with the stain on the back which is ash. I sanded most of it off and am going at it again.

The problem is the little white spots in the grain that will not accept the stain, even if i press really really hard with a cloth. Ash is very porous, like mahogany. From a distance you cant tell, but when you get up close you surly can. I dont have pics, sorry.

Anyone have a solution? I thought that a filler might do the trick.
Just wet-sand the body with a 220 Aluminum-Oxide paper between coats. That should smooth it out enough for the body to be able to accept the stain.

If that doesn't work, than a filler might work too.
Well before finishing you have to fill the grain of the guitar, I think. Sand off all the finish and then use a grain filler, right? Or at least thats what I was taught... don't do that though until you get a second opinion.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
I tried with the 220 in the first place. I guess it didnt work. My dad says dont worry about it, but i will seriously lose sleep over it if i dont fix it. I have just a wee bit of OCD. I guess ill wood filler it.
Why is there a difference between those woods in filling grain, I mean sure the ash is a bit more open... but this tutorial still applies perfectly to your situation.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Alder has basically no open pores that are easy to see. With ash, you can clearly see them. I guess this is what i need to do, fill the wood with grain filler and go from there.
No, alder is a fairly open wood. I have an alder body next to me that has clear pores... Anyway ya, you should fill pretty much all wood before you do anything to it. Something like maple would be an exception.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo