I always go to music stores and hear people playing a bunch of cool solo show off jazzy stuff.

Whats the easiest way to learn this? I dont know much obviously.

Also, if anyone knows some good theory to study thats printable I would like to know :]
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Peavey Triumph 112 120W all tube
Takamine EG333C
i hate people who play loudly in music shops.....dont play loudly

for a start, learn some scales. just play around on them and see what sounds good. just practice improvising by yourself or over some progressions.

Jack my swag
Quote by gopherthegreat

+1

Very Annoying.
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
the pentatonic scale is your best friend for improving! look where the scale got zakk wylde :p
Ibanez RG350DX - ESP LTD EC-500

Peavey JSX 212 Combo - Digitech RP 250
Yea but what key.. and how do I use it..

I really dont know much about scales and how to use them\practice them.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Takamine EG333C
Quote by gopherthegreat

+1 as well.

Seriously, you're so HXC because you can play 5th chords in Drop D and throw in a pinch harmonic.

</sarcasm>
I often crank out some sweet improv on the minor pentatonic, usually key of A or B, sometime way up there in the key of E too... It doesn't really matter what key your in if your playing by yourself.

I was shown the minor pentatonic scale 3 years ago, and I'm still getting better at it to this day. Just find any scale you like that sounds good, and keep playing it till you sound good. Eventually, you'll be able to pick up any guitar, any time, and sound kinda pro!
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
man waht I need is a youtube video BASED ON MINOR PENTATONIC in REALLLLY clear instructions.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Takamine EG333C
Quote by gopherthegreat

for a start, learn some scales. just play around on them and see what sounds good. just practice improvising by yourself or over some progressions.

When you're trying out an amp that you're going to be shelling out 1000 bucks for, you are obligated by good, common sense and legitimized by the money you're putting into the business to try out the amp at the levels you will actually be playing it.

It sounds rude, but if you're too worried about trying to be polite to worry about actually testing out the amp that you're going to be putting your money into, there's a good chance you'll walk away having wasted your money.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
if you can find all the boxes for your minor and major pentatonic

your set for life in improv

cuz then you can jet up and down the neck through any key
also

i tend to be the guy who's spittin out minor pentatonic licks at your local guitar center

HAHAHA

and i always play a tele or les paul

JK

always a ibanez baby
Quote by hightension01

is there anywere that teaches that?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Takamine EG333C
Not really, just look up some scales and practice them till you can play them really quick.

Then just start missing out notes and making up little licks....
Just learn to play the guitar

Seriously, there's no "special stuff" you can learn that makes you any better at showing off or impressing people. You impress people by playing well, and you play well by practicing and studying...it's as simple as that.

Quote by hightension01

That's a surefire way to set yourself on completely the wrong road. If you approach scales as boxes then you'll have a hard time shaking them off when the time comes to learn them properly. If you learn them the right way from the outset then you can use boxes as navigational aids and reference points as you progress, but to start with them is counter-productive.

If you want to learn theory the first things you have to do are learn the notes on the fretboard and learn the major scale...because you can't actually LEARN any of the other stuff without them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Nov 18, 2007,
Quote by hightension01

lol thats what i do. I just recently learned how, its really fun.