So there was $75 off a "light scratches only" MIM p bass on Musicians Friend.... i had to order a $15 gig bag for my acoustic bass anyway, so I figured what's a few hundred more on a bass.

Well i looked at the single light scratch when it arrived, and immediately wiped it twice with my shirt which completely removed it. Now I have a new bass for $75 off.

I tried the bass for a few days and loved it, but was pretty disapointed with the MIM pups, they broke up into a very ugly distortion easily and didn't have much versatilty (even for a single split pup).

Fortunately I had a bass line pickup sitting in a saga kit bass I don't play. Tonight I installed the much improved pickup as well as a cheap tortoise shell pickguard with nice pots and some fancy knobs.

My recording stuff is in the crawl space, but I can at least show off pictures of my new bargain bass! You'll have to take my word for now that the BassLine pickup turned this into an entirely different, beautiful sounding instrument.

My new bass

The stock pickguard

The New Pickguard

the new knobs (bad lighting)

the new pup

The pickguard was cheap and doesn't fit quite as well as I'd like. It is so snug on the pickup covers that the pups aren't readily adjustable. It sounds great as is, but I'm gonna have to trim the pickguard a little over thanksgiving break so that the pickup height can be adjusted at will.

What other pickups have you guys used on recent projects to replace crappy stock ones? What's your favorite brand? I've only used cheaper pups like Seymour Duncans or Dimarzios in all of my projects so far.
When I built my p bass I used DiMarzio DP127's. I love them to death. I sing (actually play) their praises every day of my life and tell everyone looking to get new pickups for their p-bass to get them. They're relatively cheap ('bout $80), come in black or white, and look really good in either color. Not to mention that they have a wonderful sustain and a nice warm tone.
GAS List:
Nothing
Quote by watchingmefall
I repeat what I said in your sig!

I'll try to dig some recording gear out over thanksgiving break and revive this thread then with some sound clips... I wish I could have recorded the MIM pups first to have a comparison
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Nov 4, 2007,
I am actually planning a similar project over my thanksgiving break. Although, I was planning on using a seymour duncan quarter pounder and throw a BadAss II bridge on it.

And is that Artic White or Olympic White, cuz I still haven't gotten the bass yet and that color looks really nice.
Quote by Captain Insano
I am actually planning a similar project over my thanksgiving break. Although, I was planning on using a seymour duncan quarter pounder and throw a BadAss II bridge on it.

And is that Artic White or Olympic White, cuz I still haven't gotten the bass yet and that color looks really nice.

It's arctic white. I believe that that's the only white offered on standard MIM fender basses.

Basslines is part of seymour duncan, my pup is the spb-3 quarter-pound. Go for it, it sounds great.

I'll have to see what I want most for Christmas before I worry about a nice bridge. I have two basses I'd like to put a badass II on, but they don't come cheap and there is a lot of other gear competing for christmas time in my head.
i modded my bass a while ago (yet to get the p-ups but im getting basslines)
i got a BA-II defretted it got some new tuning pegs i dont remember what there called its daimond series or something like that, they work and stay in tune amazing ly, some bad ass new knobs, new pots..........i was worring as to weather the pickups were too ghetto or not, cause they look inda cheap, but apperently there good (and the only ones the store has) so i guess i shall get them

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
I just ordered a set of Bassline quarter pounders for my P bass clone. I am in the market for a new pickguard for the ol' AccuBass--where did you get yours? I am looking for something a bit more tort (or maybe yours just looks reddish on my laptop), but that is nice looking as well.
Quote by anarkee
I just ordered a set of Bassline quarter pounders for my P bass clone. I am in the market for a new pickguard for the ol' AccuBass--where did you get yours? I am looking for something a bit more tort (or maybe yours just looks reddish on my laptop), but that is nice looking as well.

I just cruized around ebay. I agree, mine is more red than I would like, but it still looks good: it looked a little darker in the ebay listing but I'm not disappointed. I figured a darker/browner tortoise would look better on the white, I kind of want a black bass now to go with this brighter red pickguard lol.
... You have the exact same bass as me.

Almost - my pickups are different. But colour, pickguard, everything, exactly the same...

Weird...
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.