Ok, I'm starting a band at school (Boarding school, im a five day boarder, i come home on the weekends). THey have a room we can reherse in and all. Only thing is is that i have my back up guitar (an old carvin, good guitar but very hard for me to play on, neck is to thin and flat for me), and an acoustic. And Im very used to the feel and sound of my 1977 les paul deluxe (Which i keep at home, naturally).

So im wondering, what are some reletivly cheap guitars (lets say, 400 or under, 500 at most) that would get my CLOSE to the feel (and maybe with a pickup change) the tone of my '77?

(all prices USD)
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
I'd go Agile over Epiphone. You could probably get a better body wood for that price with an Agile.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
Really? Ive never been happy with the epiphones I've tried in this price range. I was seriously concidering getting an Agile, after hearing then get raved about here and on several other websites.

Quote by OThugSd
I'd go Agile over Epiphone. You could probably get a better body wood for that price with an Agile.

+1
Gear-
Cherry Epiphone SG Special
Vox AD30
Boss DS-1
Quote by -heartbreaker-
Epiphone my man, Epiphone.

this kid has the right idea. and if im not mistaken, his username is a reference to Led Zeppelin. so thats another good reason to listen to him.

EPIPHONE FTW, MAN!
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
epiphone
SHOWBREAD

Quote by cheese_weasel
Winner of the intellectual comment of the day award.
Quote by Shredder Guitar
this kid has the right idea. and if im not mistaken, his username is a reference to Led Zeppelin. so thats another good reason to listen to him.

EPIPHONE FTW, MAN!

lulll thanks.

It makes me sad to be the only Epi enthusiast left...
goddamn you Agile!

I dont care what people think, my LP plays and was built perfectly
and the stock pickups arent that bad
if you do go epi, play a bunch and pick the one that performs the best.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
Quote by -heartbreaker-
lulll thanks.

goddamn you Agile!

dude no offense but most of those guitars are crap you might find the odd good one thats ok if anything most people like me who work at guitar shops play guitars everyday and i see imperfections everyday and epiphones i never sell i always try to sell ibanez guitars for people like this guy or fender but the only option id give this guy would be agile there super good id say the mid higher end agile owns a mid higher end ibanez soo trust me agile is a really good guitar and people say how there not reliable well rondo will pay to send it back for a new one
Quote by convictionless
dude no offense but most of those guitars are crap you might find the odd good one thats ok if anything most people like me who work at guitar shops play guitars everyday and i see imperfections everyday and epiphones i never sell i always try to sell ibanez guitars for people like this guy or fender but the only option id give this guy would be agile there super good id say the mid higher end agile owns a mid higher end ibanez soo trust me agile is a really good guitar and people say how there not reliable well rondo will pay to send it back for a new one

look at your gear in your sig, then think about what you just said to me.

[/end response]
Quote by convictionless

Please use punctuation, it makes life easier; thats one of the few things we learn at school that is actually useful.
Why would you recommend Ibanez? He says his neck is too thin and flat, which is probably why he digs the les paul feel and shape.
My Gear:
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
Quote by Shredder Guitar

EPIPHONE FTW, MAN!

o what did you say mister rondomusic man? plus 1 to epiphone! what now! OH!!.

yea i rly dont kno why i said that....i blame some mental condition, but i would go with epiphone, i have played them, they are good. make sure u paly it. find one u like, get it
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
although i ahve heard many good things about agile
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
I actualy haven't play a poorly constructed Epi, so I don't know where this quality issue comes from. their quality is better than some Gibsons!

maybe my local stores only put out the good ones, or something....
and mine hit the nail right on the head, was straight out of the box with no imperfections
Quote by -heartbreaker-
I actualy haven't play a poorly constructed Epi, so I don't know where this quality issue comes from. their quality is better than some Gibsons!

and mine hit the nail right on the head, was straight out of the box with no imperfections

yea both ym friends have epi less pauls (an ultra and a standard) and they are amazing guitars for the price.
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by -heartbreaker-

I've played several poorly constructed ones in my price range, though the higher-up ones can be damn good I'll agree.

I think I'll go rondo/agile. Any model people would susgest? I was thinking about the

http://www.rondomusic.com/al2800csbf.html

or

http://www.rondomusic.com/product820.html

Though i really would like a mahogany neck...

i love the ultra, that smooth unfinished neck is sexual.
My Gear:
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
if you're going agile, go AL-3000 or above. i think the MAP ones have a thicker maple cap, which will give you more LP tone. nothing below 3000.
My Gear:
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
Quote by guitar_infidel
i love the ultra, that smooth unfinished neck is sexual.

Look at my price range buddy. I really wanna keep it under 400, and the lower the better. If i push to 500, it'll start being alot more of my money. (I'm gonna ask the parents to go half, using part of my chirstmas money (caues i rarly ever ask for real gifts, just cash))

Quote by -heartbreaker-
lulll thanks.

goddamn you Agile!

Dude I started the Les Paul thread and own and Epiphone which I love.

Me and Whole Lotta Led got your back.

And to TS go with and Epiphone Standard PLain Top or an Agile...
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
yeah the plain top is cheapest of the LP range, but comes with a pure mahogany body and mahogany neck!
Quote by -heartbreaker-
yeah the plain top is cheapest of the LP range, but comes with a pure mahogany body and mahogany neck!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Plain-Top?sku=517413

And remember try out as many of these as you can, i've found some great Epiphones and some duds. However the ones that are good are great for the price.
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

Quote by -heartbreaker-

Ohh no, twice I've cut my fingers on Epi LP standard frets (I kid you not). Bad associations with those guitars. Maybe I've just played duds, but I'm offically scared off of those guitars.

I've come across a dud or two myself, that's why I don't suggest just buying any Epi. However if you come across a good one it could be just the guitar for you.

I tried maybe 5 before choosing mine, it was down to a Plain Top in cherry burst, or a trans amber Standard PLus. The Plain top though all mahogany had no sound from the upper frets and didn't fit well. However the standard next to it was a dream, which i've no owned for over a year.

I'd give Epiphone a consideration only cause you may find a good one. There are other brands though like Agile and PRS.

Quote by OThugSd
Pretty hard to get better wood now that Epi have upgraded most of their production models to use the same wood as the 'full' Gibson versions.

Going back a year or so, brands like Agile, Vintage and Tokai were definitely the way to go, over Epiphone; Epi have always had a few good instruments (the Elitist series has always been good; their various signature guitars have always been good; the customs and Ultra have always been good), but going back a while, at the Standard level, other brands definitely gave you more for your money.
Now though? Epiphone have caught up, and in a big way. Their quality control is still a bit lacking, but in terms of general overall spec, on paper it's near impossible to beat them. Whereas before they used Alder mostly with a smattering of mahogany here and there, they now use 100% mahogany on the majority of their instruments, and they've even upgraded the maple tops they use to AA all across their range (though strangly, the JP signature which already had a AA maple top, hasn't been upped at all).

Generally speaking, if you want a good LP but can't afford an actual Gibson for a couple of thousand, my advice is this: play a ton of Epiphone Standards and Customs, pick out the very best one, upgrade the pickups.

I got hold of a fabulous Epi LP Custom a while back, upgraded the pickups, changed the bridge, and now it's better than one of my Gibsons and almost as good as the second - and both of those cost roughly three times what the Epi did, including it's upgrades.

Agile, Tokai, and others, are all still worth looking into - they do make very damn nice guitars by all accounts. But for my money, Epiphone are the way to go these days. If you have the time to check out enough of them and you do find one of the great ones, you're not going to beat it without spending at least twice as much.
Agile AL-3000 or AL-3100.

Get one.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by zeppelinpage4
Me and Whole Lotta Led got your back.

Sure do

I've had mine for almost two years now and it has held up consistently well, I've even gigged with it a few times, never had an issue. Epiphone might not have tightest QC around, but play a few and you're sure to find a good one. I cherry picked mine to find that right one and I did. My only complaints about it were the pickups/electronics which was a simple fix for me. Now in addition to playing superbly, it sounds awesome too!

Personally I'm not a big fan of the way Agiles look, and we'd all be lying if we said looks didn't influence buying! I'd recommend looking into other brands as well other than Epiphone and Agile. Give Tokai, Edwards, or even some of the those Orville LP copies a good look. Never count out a used Epi LP Elitist as well

Last edited by Whole Lotta Led at Nov 4, 2007,
Ive been looking at the silver ART100 by Ibanez, about $300 american, but i was hoping someone here would know something about it.
its got -
-les paul shape
-set neck
-pups that ive never had any experience with

but a few people said that its a really good lespaul match up

and info helps me and the ts lol
Quote by Tedward
Ive been looking at the silver ART100 by Ibanez, about $300 american, but i was hoping someone here would know something about it.
its got -
-les paul shape
-set neck

Ibanez necks do me no good. I'm trying to get AWAY from flat and thin...

I'll try and try a few epiphones, but my local shop doesnt carry them, so I'm most likly doing to have to order something anyway, and I'd rather it be a company like Agile which has QC thats fairly undisputed all along the board...

Edit: Also, I'm hoping to find a guitar that does NOT have large, jumbo frets, but rather the small, short, skinny ones I've come to love on my '77 (and just about anyother old Gibby I've ever played)

Last edited by zekk at Nov 5, 2007,
Quote by Tedward
its got -
-les paul shape
-set neck

Its a very good guitar for the money. I'd put it up against most epiphone LP's out there. With a few upgrades, its an excellent guitar. The Gibraltar III bridge is excellent, and even better with a set of Tone-Pro locking studs. The tuners are crap. The pickups, I'm not sure on since I can't remember what it comes with. The Artist neck is outstanding. Build quality is top notch. If you're looking at an Ibanez Artist, look into the AR series. Its the original "Artist" and the best of the current Artist lineup IMO.
a ton of people on here have said agile. and i'm wondering how many of them have hands-on experience with a/several agiles? from what i've heard, they sound great and have gotten rave reviews, but, since i haven't played one myself, i think it dumb for me -- or anyone in a similar situation -- to say anything more than "i've heard great things about this____ agile".

so yeah. i've heard great things about agile. :P. as for epis...the lower end models are nothing at all special. but if you can manage to find a used elitist in your pricerange, that is surely the way to go. there was a used elitist lp custom on craigslist in my area over the summer asking 450 and i still kick myself at not having jumped on it.
Another thought - you could also look for an LP Studio with a once broken, now professionally repaired neck/headstock joint. They go super cheap sometimes and if the neck break was repaired correctly it's usually not an issue.
Perhaps Japanese-made Les Pauls? They have nicer pickups than Epiphones, which are still very good. But they may feel quite different from what you're used to...try them out first.

The used Gibson Studio/Epiphone Elitist idea though, is probably the best.
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Nov 5, 2007,