Hey all,

I've been thinking about putting on a new bridge on my SZ520...prolly a Tone Pros...but I don't know exactly what will fit.

I need to figure out if there's a place online, or on the Ibanez website that I'm missing, that will tell me the dimensions and specs for the bridge, so i can buy one that will fit and replace it without any retrofitting.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
I don't think there's a whole lot out there thats a direct fit. The stud spacing is almost as wide as a stop bar tailpiece. For most replacement bridges, you will have to re-drill.

I'm curious as to why you'd want to replace the Gibraltar III bridge. Its an excellent bridge and certainly better than the standard tune-o-matic bridges that come on most fixed bridge electrics. The only thing out there that I can think of being a legitimate upgrade would be the Gotoh 510 fully locking bridge and I know for a fact it wont fit. I'd personally just spring for a set of Tone-pro locking studs for the Gib III. Those alone will gain you better tone and sustain.
Last edited by Jason43 at Nov 5, 2007,
Swapping that bridge will almost certainly be a downgrade. Locking studs may be a fair idea, but it's not really a big deal, since the bridge is not a trem. I wouldn't be betting my money on any tone or sustain benefits from locking studs, they're really a tuning stability thing.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
They're decent guitars, but I think it would be a better upgrade to change the pickups.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
The Gibraltar III is a great bridge, so it shouldn't need changing unless you despise the feel of it or something. I don't think there are any other bridges that would be able to replace it size wise either.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by pifty
I wouldn't be betting my money on any tone or sustain benefits from locking studs, they're really a tuning stability thing.

I have to disagree with you on that. When I replaced the craptastic, buzzing tune-o-matic clone on my AR with a Gotoh 510 locking bridge I immediately noticed a fairly drastic change in the tone of the guitar, even just strumming it unplugged. I didn't really believe I'd notice a difference either, but I took the advice of some people on another forum and was very impressed with the results. I do however think that it won't be as noticeable on the SZ since the Gib III is a very good bridge to begin with, but I do think he'll notice an improvement. I have read posts from a few SZ owners that have had problems with the Gib III having a little play where the bridge meets the studs. If that would be the reason he's looking for a new bridge, the tone-pros would fix that, if nothing else.
Last edited by Jason43 at Nov 5, 2007,
I must have been mistaken, I didn't realize the Gibraltar III was regarded as such a good bridge...it's the only non-trem bridge I have experience with, so my mistake!

No need for an upgrade then...I've got a D-Sonic in the bridge pickup slot and it sounds fantastic!
Quote by Jason43
I have to disagree with you on that. <snip>

You noticed an improvement because your original bridge was a budget tin affair. Naturally, if you swap it with a steel or brass piece, you will notice the tone improvement. The SZ bridges are nice to start with, they're fairly heavy too.

The moving, yeah, I guess. Haven't really heard complaints about that, but it's possible. It's the aforementioned tuning stability issue, though.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!