I personally think that they are pretty good musicians for ska. They have their instruments down really well, they can play pretty much any style of music, and their vocal harmonies are great. But I think that their lyrics are terrible, it totally ruins their songs. Let me know if you agree or disagree.
Reel Big Fish is amazing. Their lyrics usually have to do with partying or being a general fratty kinda guy. no harm done really. I'm a brass player so the horns are really cool to me. Their also really really fun to listen to with a large group of friends, especially at a party or driving in a packed car. The songs don't get old, for some reason, either. They know how to change the song up as they play to keep interest. Listen to most any song of them and note all the rhythm and tempo changes, it's just fun music
You think most ska is untalented? Well think again.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
I like Reel Big Fish, but I can't really get into goofy music in general, so they're not one of my favorites.
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
I'm not saying that their music sucks I just think that they are terrible at writting lyrics. Their songs hardly rhyme and when they do its something dumb like (to quote "I want your girlfriend to be my girlfriend"):
she's so ****in' cute
I wish that she was mine
she's so ****in' cute
I'm gonna lose my mind (baby)
I don't know what to do
I don't know what to do
maybe i could kill you

"I wish that she was mine, I think I'm gonna lose my mind"???
That super original. Just terrible lyrics. And they're not even funny.
You don't know ska very well, stupid.

Sometimes ska doesn't rely on lyrical content to get the listener happy. RBF aren't deep and usually you know what a song is about from the title, that's how they do it and I like it.
Used to like em, they're alright now. And instrumentally I'd go with a band such as Steetlight.
why do they rock so hard?

i dig em, seen them a couple of times live and my only complaint about them is that i wish they played some of their newer stuff at shows. Its mostly just turn the radio off stuff, and although that is a kick ass album i would really love to hear them play some more off of Were Not Happy till your not happy which IMO is an under-rated album.
Propaganda does not deceive people; it merely helps them to deceive themselves-Eric Hoffer

Quote by GannonBracewell

CBGB wants to be famous like the others such as Green Day and Offspring. They don't want to be a underground punk band.
I used to like them, but I've kind of grown out of them
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
i like their lyrics, tis really light hearted.
purple nurple!

Quote by RizzoWashburn
dis meanz yoo can make three p0nx albums!

One that sucks, one that doesn't suck, and one that nobody cares about!
I can't really listen to them on cd, but they're fun to see live. I've seen them twice, but only listened to recordings a handful of times.
Today I listened to them again since in a while, and I can't help but think that they are good song writers. Perhaps there new album they are starting to lose it, but just about all there songs are unique and catchy, and in ska, catchy means good.
I saw em live over the summer, and they were really weren't that great. The played for way too long, and just had to many gimmicks and stuff. Streetlight was a much better live band.
brnh.bandcamp.com
People here don't know RBF very well, they arent a goofy funny band. .well in a way yes they are but their lyrics are usually very meaningfull to the writer (in most cases, Aaron Barrett).
Great band I love 'em. Although I'm in with all my Blues, Jazz, Metal and 'shred' a bit O' RBF always kicks ass.
A cracking ska band, I recently saw them in a small hall, and they clearly love what they do, crowd goes wild !!!!

'We're the reel big fish thankyou

Thankyou we're the reel big fish' awesome

Any other stupid RBF quotes from their gigs would be cool!!
Aaron Barrett lacks serious song writting skills but is still proficient in his instrument. He is also good at playing and singing, which can be difficult. I think it's funny that their best song is a cover, though.
which song, take on me?
Propaganda does not deceive people; it merely helps them to deceive themselves-Eric Hoffer

Quote by GannonBracewell

CBGB wants to be famous like the others such as Green Day and Offspring. They don't want to be a underground punk band.
Quote by Chaise Boogie
You don't know ska very well, stupid.

Sometimes ska doesn't rely on lyrical content to get the listener happy. RBF aren't deep and usually you know what a song is about from the title, that's how they do it and I like it.

As the amazingly fun ska band [spunge] put it:

You're so intent with my lyrical content,
that you probably don't realise exactly what I meant.
It may not be up there with J.R.R Tolkien.
But at least you don't need a PhD to understand what I mean
There's nothing wrong with writing total nonsense lyrics,
I don't have to please anyone, especially not the cynics.
If your the kind of guy who likes to know what's wrong,
I'd rather put a smile on your face and help you bounce along.

RBF are my favourite band though, and I think a lot of their 'stupid' lyrics are actually being sarcastic and satirical to mock other people. Their shows are awesome too, I've seen them four times and I've got tickets to two more shows next year

Incidentally, you should check out [spunge] if you like the Fish, they tour practically constantly and ska's not an easy genre to get by in any more
well, sometimes it seems as if they abuse their horn section TOO much...but thats just me. they are a pretty good ska band though.
I'd just like to say I fall into the 5% of us on this site who aren't metalheads.

I am UG's resident Communist.