Page 1 of 2
hello everybody
i have been listening to alot of led zeppelin recently and i love them
jimmy page is a guitar god but i hear people talking about other guitarist alot
(i.e. kirk hammett, b.b. king, steve vai, that guy from dragonforce..., etc.)

id like to hear about whoYOU think is a guitarist worthy of studying
plz post their name and band and maybe a few songs that you think really show what they can do

thanks in advance

peace

P.S. does any1 know how to change the avatar? that'd be helpful
Adrian Smith from Iron Maiden.

All of Somewhere In Time (album), Paschendale, Different World, BTATS..

PM if you'd like to collaborate on any rock/hard rock/metal stuff
      Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple, Rainbow) is one of the big ones that i love outside of Hendrix, Page, and Van Halen.

Blackmore is in fact one of the greatest soloists ever with such solos as Child in Time and Highway Star, even though much of his work is overshadowed by Smoke on the Water.
      randy rhoads from ozzys first 2 solo albums, blizzard of ozz and diary of a madman.
      crazy train, dee, flying high again, over the mountain
      R.I.P randy
      My Gear:
      Fender '72 Tele Thinline Deluxe Reissue
      Vox Night Train 15W
      stevie ray vaughan 1983 album texas flood is some good listening. he is a blues/rock guitarist, very talented
      Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
      Jari Maenpaai from Finnish metal band, Wintersun
      Quote by breakdown123
      Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
      Stevie Ray Vaughn
      Johnny Greenwood

Find some guitarists the YOU like to listen to.

Member Q-Tron of the EHX Users Guild
      Michael Angelo Batio, but it's all preference. By that I mean that nobody is "the best", it just matters on who YOU like best.

Go to control panel to change avatar.
      Quote by SOADrox429
      'Bring me the still-beating heart of a newborn child, and the world's rivers shall run red with the blood of the innocent.'

<\/> Fleshgod Apocalypse <\/>
      After being a guitarist for a couple of years I learned some wisdom. Don't ever listen to one guitar player. And as far as someone being the best guitarist, find out yourself. Don't get me wrong, every guitar player everyone listed is amazing, but try to listen to a lot of different music and develop your own style. For example, every hair metal band guitar player listened and were amazed by Eddie Van Halen, so they sounded like him. But then you listen to someone like Steve Vai or Nuno Bettencourt and you hear so much more. Explore a bit and you'll find something you like. I'll throw out a few names to get you started.

John Mclaughlin
      Steve Vai
      Dream Theater
      Al Di Meola
      Jeff Beck
      Eric Johnson
      Scott Henderson

Have fun!
      Originally posted by TheCurious Mime
      Is it true that peter parker shows his butt in the next spiderman movie?
      jeff waters (from annihilator)

listen to : "the rush", "alison hell", and "liquid oval", just to name a few
      top three:
      1.tony iommi- guitarist of black sabbath.
      2.randy rhoads- guitarist of ozzy osbourne.
      3.alex lifeson- guitarist of rush.
      all other guitar gods.
      Love, RamonesRock
      well if u wanna listen to the most overrated guitarist of all time, hendrix is a good one to listen to then

alexi laiho and roope latvala are cool
      Quote by IbanezSA160a
      Gays aren't discriminated against, they just can't get married, big ****ing deal.
      a biased question but some impressive people include Buckethead, Andy Mckee (search him on YouTube, hes obscure but incredible/unbelievable), Luke Jaeger (Sleep Terror), Muhammad Suicmez (Necrophagist), Yngwie Malmsteen, and many of hte above mentioned names as well.
      alex lifeson-rush. good songs include working man, freewill and la villa strangiato...

larry lalonde-primus. good songs include tommy the cat, winonas big brown beaver and jerry was a racecar driver

jerry cantrell-alice in chains. good songs include no excuses, down in a hole and man in the box

also, all buckethead's work
      Bands I've seen live:

Def Leppard
      Journey
      Tool
      Testament
      Megadeth
      Slayer
      Mastodon
      Deftones
      Alice in Chains
      Foo Fighters
      Rodrigo y Gabriela
      Yngwie Malmsteen is a god

Trilogy Suite Opus 5, Blitzkrieg, Far Beyond the Sun, all great stuff by him

Marty Friedman can play to. Listen to Tornado Of Souls.
      Quote by powerhead
      Mentallica, i think you just made my drive shank crank

Quote by beadhangingOne

You sir, are a true hero.

Quote by silversoulcage
      Dude, seriously, you're an ass hole. That place where **** comes out, yea that's you man.
      Quote by NightEmbers
      I have to disagree its either KillMode or nothing with him

Petrucci is my favorite, but I've heard so many different opinions about him and Dream Theater. I think that it's pretty simple about that : either you love their music (as i do) or you hate it. I've never heard anybody saying something like "I like this song, but the others are not too good..." about them.

If you like it, that's great. If you don't, never say that they suck, they are just not playing the genre you like.

My other favs : Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Iron Maiden (all their guitarist + Steve Harris), Jeff Loomis (Nevermore), Bart Frydrychowicz (Quo Vadis), Tim Roth (Into Eternity), Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert, and a lot more ... all gods in my opinion
      Hello, Mirror - so glad to see you my friend, it's been a while

Help me - I can't break out this prison all alone
      Save me - I'm drowning and I'm hopeless on my own
      Heal me - I can't restore my sanity alone
      Quote by XDream_TheaterX
      Petrucci is my favorite, but I've heard so many different opinions about him and Dream Theater. I think that it's pretty simple about that : either you love their music (as i do) or you hate it. I've never heard anybody saying something like "I like this song, but the others are not too good..." about them.

If you like it, that's great. If you don't, never say that they suck, they are just not playing the genre you like.

My other favs : Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Iron Maiden (all their guitarist + Steve Harris), Jeff Loomis (Nevermore), Bart Frydrychowicz (Quo Vadis), Tim Roth (Into Eternity), Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert, and a lot more ... all gods in my opinion

thank u sir...u proved my point for me .....dont miss out on a great guitar player because someone doesnt like him...maybe ull like him or maybe u wont
      Paul Masvidal (cynic). Check out "textures" "how could i" "the eagle nature" the entire "focus" album is thick with some pretty wicked guitar playing.
      welcome to UG. lol never bring up "who's the best" around here, albeit I'm surprised this hasn't become a huge METALLICA vs MEGADETH or DRAGONFORCE SUCKS vs DOESN'T SUCK thread already.

valid posts? is this really the pit?

dave edmunds did a cool take on "sabre dance." difficult to find, but his band was Love Sculpture.

kerry king from slayer... I think his solos are lame, but his riffing is amazing.

george harrison of the beatles is underlooked.. perhaps because he's not a shredder and UG is generally metal-lovers, but he was very influential.

everyone knows Saul Hudson, aka SLASH. he sounds overrated if you just listen to everyone going "OMG SLASH IS TEH BEST" but if you really listen to his stuff, it really is incredible.

...that would lead us to Zakk Wylde and Dimebag Darrell Abbott. lots to look into by them. I prefer dimebag.. please no one retort that as I'm not trying to start an argument.. zakk is just to pentatonic-y for me.

tipton and downing of judas priest are note-worthy. love em to death.

the list goes on. just try to branch out and have an open mind tons are out there.
      the ones listed before this are great ones too. (stevie ray's one of my faves)
      Quote by Oligarchy
      SGRocker0791 and Raijin.xiii are ass holes in case anyone was wondering.

Quote by jimmyjimjim
      try not to be such a dick

Quote by jdotp
      thanks to the ignorant prick
      Quote by XDream_TheaterX

sorry to attempt to disprove you.. I haven't heard a lot of Dream Theater. I have Octavarium, the title track is the only track I really enjoyed enough to listen to more than once. so you have heard somebody say they like some songs... But I do think Petrucci is an amazing player, and I love his solo album... although I will probably check out some more DT eventually... I'm not big on the singers voice though.

and to the original poster, give some King Crimson a listen, 2 amazing, far out guitarists. John Mclaughlin has some mind blowing work too. It's possible they'd sound a little too odd you though, some don't like.
      Quote by Raijin.xiii
      everyone knows Saul Hudson, aka SLASH. he sounds overrated if you just listen to everyone going "OMG SLASH IS TEH BEST" but if you really listen to his stuff, it really is incredible.

I can't get over Nightrain. It's incredible. Not technically crazy or anything but his guitar work on that song plain out rocks.
      Quote by SOADrox429
      'Bring me the still-beating heart of a newborn child, and the world's rivers shall run red with the blood of the innocent.'

<\/> Fleshgod Apocalypse <\/>
      Thomas Erak from The Fall Of Troy.
      Listen to Sledgehammer,
      A Man. A Plan. A Canal. Panama,
      or We Better Learn To Hotwire A Uterus
      Omar Rodriegez-lopez for at the drive-in and the mars volta
      Peter Lindgren - formerly of Opeth, check out blackwater park for his amazingness
      Joe Satriani
      Duane Allman- king of blues, southern rock, slide and improv
      Jerry Garcia- amazing improv, and mix of folk,rock and psychedelic music
      Derek Trucks- Duane Allman mixed w/ classical indian music
      I'm almost surprised no one brought up Jason Becker yet. He's a really amazing player. He was in Cacophony with Marty Friedman (Megadeth) years ago, but now Jason caught some type of disease and is stuck in a wheel chair, unable to play or even move again. It's a pretty sad story, but the man was an outstanding player. Check him out on youtube, a few of my favorite songs from his are "Images", "Mabel's Fatal Fable", and "Speed Metal Symphony".

Also, I'd have to say that Jeff Loomis from Nevermore is a great player. A really great band that is heavy, has awesome leads, and a really great vocalist.

And Glen Drover, Megadeth's new guitarist, is pretty good too.
      J Mascis of Dinosaur Jr is great. Definitely not the most technical, considering some of the names that have been posted, but his solo's and guitar parts are really heart felt and fit the song. Nothing beats a fuzz solo.
      *-)
      Quote by Bob_Sacamano
      i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
      Quote by nirvana4lf
      a biased question but some impressive people include Buckethead, Andy Mckee (search him on YouTube, hes obscure but incredible/unbelievable), Luke Jaeger (Sleep Terror), Muhammad Suicmez (Necrophagist), Yngwie Malmsteen, and many of hte above mentioned names as well.

This
      Also, I know I'll probly get flamed for this but
      Paul Waggoner of Between the Buried and Me has pretty much changed the way I listen to music

Recommended Songs
      Between the Buried and Me - Selkies: The Endless Obsession, Ants in the Sky, Laser Speed (especially this one), Shevanel Cut A Flip

Also, Allan Holdsworth is really amazing
      Recommended Songs
      Ruhkukuah, Lanyard Loop, City Nights

And Finally, I'd like to recommend Davide Tiso of Ephel Duath.
      Recommended Songs
      The Passage, Unpoetic Circle, Ironical Communication
      Malmsteen - the true guitar virtuoso (imo) unlike other guys who made it their resume to play fast and cram this many notes into this many bars, malmsteen is more complicated than you think, use the slow speed on your computer if it flew past you.
      Malmsteen - the true guitar virtuoso (imo) unlike other guys who made it their resume to play fast and cram this many notes into this many bars, malmsteen is more complicated than you think, use the slow speed on your computer if it flew past you.
      synyster gates from avenged sevenfold- Chapter 4, MIA, Scream, Afterlife, Lost, and his live solo
      Tom Morello from rage against the machine-Sleep now in the fire, killing in the name of
      The guitarists from slipknot- welcome, pulse iof the maggots
      Well, my favorite guitarist is Duane Allman. He gives me chills when he plays.

But um...Jimi Hendrix is a really good guitarist too, he's the full package. Not many people can play rhythm like he can and also sing...plus throw in a solo here and there. Pretty influential guy.

Then there's Stevie Ray Vaughan. amazing blues guitarist.

And I personally love John Frusciante - He doesn't do alot of show in his playing but he's very talented. He does alot more than the Red Hot Chili Peppers you should check out some of his solo work.
      Quote by SacrificeMe

Isn't that exactly what Malmsteen does?.......

Lee Ranaldo/Thurston Moore=Sonic Youth
      Eddie Hazel - P-Funk
      John Frusciante - RHCP and solo
      My all gold grills give her cold chills
      Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
      Page 1 of 2