So im going to get a new amp eventually and ive been looking at Peaveys for a while and noticed that the Classic 30 and Valveking 212 are very similar in price and yet the Valveking has more wattage and 2 speakers verses the Classic which led me to believe that the Classic must have something the Valveking doesnt. So which one is better!?!?!!! Tone wise and all that good stuff
I prefer the tone of the classics over the valvekings but that is personal preference, you'll have to try both to figure out which one you like. And the price difference stems from the fact the the classic series is made in America (or at least they were the last time I checked) whereas the valvekings are made in China.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Classic > VK IMHO. go try em out
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
All depends on what you want out of your amp. What sound you're after... Also, if you do get the VK... Make sure you play it at a very loud level for at least 30 hours before making your judgment on it's distortion tone... The speakers have a ~30 hours break-in period before they stop sounding flubby.
^ well truthfully for prety much any music the classic will pwn the VK. maybe witha tube swap and a speaker change the VK will sound alright. i just dont like the tone. its kinda thin
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by ssguitar
^ well truthfully for prety much any music the classic will pwn the VK. maybe witha tube swap and a speaker change the VK will sound alright. i just dont like the tone. its kinda thin

Why is it that I have only ever heard that by forum users? Every single publication that has reviewed the amps, and a ton have, have all talked about what great sound they can get.
im assuming that the reviews where put in publications that sell amps (ie musicians friend). why would they put in bad reviews about something their trying to sell?
i was looking at a VK before deciding to fork out the money for a 5150. in my opinion it just wasnt up to par. but im assuming that was probably because of cheap stock tubes and speakers..
No... Not MF and GC and stuff. Actual Guitar mags...

Guitar Player
Guitar Magazine
Total Guitar
...a ton of em
How many negative reviews have you seen in a guitar magazine?
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
i don't really like the sound from a valveking myself. it's a bit too american voiced, and the clean channel breaks up too quick on the volume control. there's two channels... so why can't the clean channel be clean? its not like my blues jr... when it's okay to start breaking up at volume 5. its single channel...

and the VK had bit of a mushy tone in the overdrive channel. certainly isn't my favorite amp.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by yeahyeah

That's true. One issue of guitar player reviewed a spider II.
"The clean channel sounds identical to a vintage super reverb!"
"The crunch tones are like a cranked plexi!"
"Wanna play some Metallica, the Metal channel is there for you with it's all-too-awesome modelling tone"
"And the insane channel has so much gain, any more would be well.... insane!"

"Truly, the line6 spider II is a bedroom shredder's wet dream"

I wonder how much Line6 coughed up to pay off that reviewer.

But... Peavey classic 30 by a long shot.
Damn fine amp.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Nov 5, 2007,
the vk has nice cleans for th price but the lead channel is really muddy. it really does depend on what you play. i say for more heavy stuff just get a speaker change in a vk and get a pedal
Valveking can sound great, stock, if you know how. If you want valveking samples, check my profile. The newer songs use my Valveking.
Quote by darkarbiter7
"Truly, the line6 spider II is a bedroom shredder's wet dream"

Actually I'd agree with that 100%.
Show me a tube amp that can get saturated gain like that at bedroom levels.

Anyway, if you read between the lines you can pick negative points out of a mag review but of course they need to sell advertising so they're more likely to say "x is suitable as a first amp" rather than "x sucks donkeys".
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
+1 to all the votes for the Classic.

I own a Classic 30, I didn't even consider a Valveking.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by yeahyeah

Point taken.

The only issue I have is the people that bash it have mostly never even heard the damn thing, they just fall in line like a sheep. "Oh, the distortion is muddy, I know because I read it online." I have heard the VK in person. I personally like the tone, and once the speaker is broken in the bass isn't flubby at all. The amp could probably use a tube replacement with some good tubes, but what under $650 couldn't?
Quote by eXperiment63
Point taken.

The only issue I have is the people that bash it have mostly never even heard the damn thing, they just fall in line like a sheep. "Oh, the distortion is muddy, I know because I read it online." I have heard the VK in person. I personally like the tone, and once the speaker is broken in the bass isn't flubby at all. The amp could probably use a tube replacement with some good tubes, but what under $650 couldn't?

Theoretically, if you bought it used (the only way to get your moneys worth), it could alreadyi have good tubes in it. My peavey classic 50 came with JJ tubes in it, and I got it for 500 bucks (and thats expensive for a used classic 50).
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by eXperiment63
Point taken.

I totally understand and agree that a lot of people tend to hop on the anit-valveking bandwagon just because it seems right. I have played a VK and it wasn't for me though
Quote by CowsWithGuns
Well, one thing that I see is that all the people who like the Classic series amps tend to like vintage tone...bias much? I play metal (and lots of other types of music to but whatever) and I found this checking out sound clips from a Valveking.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dD7EoehgpsA

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VJLDpZyxHFc

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VywlVf3lE1s

It is a Valveking nonetheless.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
The Valveking can be EQ'd to sound very similar to the Peavey Classic, but the Valveking has much more modern gain on tap. Its cleans are very good. I have owned mine for over a year. I play blues/classic rock. I would try one out and others.
I haven't tried out a Classic 30, but from the comments I have read (and the name is a bit of a clue) it is more of a classic tone.
Some people worship this and refuse to acknowledge that anything else is good.
Personally I prefer a more modern tone and am very happy with my VK.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Quote by eXperiment63
Point taken.

I own a valveking myself. I loved it. There is a resonance and presence knobs along with the texture. Just spend some time setting the tone and gain you want. and it will do it. You have to have the right guitar and pickup and there is a whole lot more that just playing , I will start , I used a scalloped fender strat. cut at my specific depth. with hs-3 pickup set to a specific height on neck and bridge ,middle p/u is flush down. I used special order custom Fender Bullet strings, with sperzel tuning system. and 2 different type of picks for different attack on the songs and used very little effect just a tuner,noise gate for my wah, and a delay for my violin/flute effect. then i set my resonance and my presence on what I like and the texture on A/b class and then reverb baraly passing 1, I set my EQ on my amps they way i like it to give me a woody tone perfect for lead and thick rhythm and clean does not break up at all even at high volume like 8 and 10. someone of used will just plug and do not spent time setting it up. Trust me i did that too. when I went to GC and the saleman told me about the Vk I was like yeah sure whatever. I spend 4 hours there messing with different amps and effect. then I was like Let me try the Vk this time and the rest is history. You probably have a high powered pick up with some effect and strings gauge and blah blah sloppy guitar players and blah blah some of you will hate me but I m right. and if this amps is not your style get a Solid state and I don't what else to. But if you don' like the VK, move on. by the way I played from latin to jazz to metal to death metal classical to blues. pretty much anything. This amps does what it say it does. p.s I also want to add . When you were at guitar center what guitar did you used? Are the string where in tuned to standard E and new? ? or Eb which I tuned too. There is more than than just playing. I know a secrets. And I can't tell you. A secret told by someone about that ValveKing. You won't believe if I told you.
Last edited by FenderValveking at Nov 10, 2007,