Alright good people, question concerning monitors. I'm looking at getting a new 22" LCD monitor, and I assume many of you have them so I was wondering, how important is the contrast ratio for determining image quality? I can get one for $229.99 but it's only 700:1, where as a 3000:1 costs $299.99 on sale.

I had a quick look when I was at futureshop but I didn't get a very good sense of the difference. And I know what contrast ratio is, so you don't need to explain it.

So basically, if I buy a DVI cable, is the 3000:1 worth the extra $70?

By the way I would be using it for gaming at decent resolutions too.
Quote by madbasslover
Until_it_sleeps for the motherfucking win!!!
"The contrast ratio is a measure of a display system, defined as the ratio of the luminosity of the brightest color (white) to that of the darkest color (black) that the system is capable of producing. A high contrast ratio is a desired aspect of any display"
so 3000:1 would be better

OLED displays FTW, 1,000,000:1 ratio
Well I know in theory the higher the better, I just want to know how much of a difference it actually makes in the real world.

Oh well, the cheaper one is an Acer that doesn't even tilt, and the expensive one is a Samsung with a gloss finish, so it obviously owns it.
Quote by madbasslover
Contrast ratio determines how vibrant the colors will be and how deep the blacks are. The higher the contrast ratio, the better. I had research all this stuff when I had to buy one for my Xbox 360. So I can help you for the most part.

EDIT: Acer's are pretty good. But I think Samsungs have better quality and are more reliable. Are you going to get the 22bbmw or whatever it's called? I have that one and I would highly recommend it.
Quote by H^2

Wise words Trashfan.

trashfan
Quote by Chubbychunks
It's not going to be that great. Although particle physics does give me a hadron.
Last edited by thrashfan at Nov 5, 2007,
Quote by thrashfan
Contrast ratio determines how vibrant the colors will be and how deep the blacks are. The higher the contrast ratio, the better. I had research all this stuff when I had to buy one for my Xbox 360. So I can help you for the most part.

What are the brands that you are thinking of getting?

I appreciate your help,

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10084230&catid=
Quote by madbasslover
Quote by thrashfan
Yep that's the one I have. Get it, you won't be disappointed.

Glossy panels ftw.

Alright good to know, $299.99 is a steal too, I'll pick one up this week.
Quote by madbasslover