I have read that standard strings are not "heavy" enough to really do well for drop-C tuning. I bought a ESP LTD EC100 last week, and it really doesn't take much to hit the strings hard enough to get them to buzz.

So what gauge should the three low strings be? Should I also up the gauge for the high strings? Will I need to re-slot the grooves on the head stock and the bridge for heavier gauge strings?
Quote by -Wolverine-
I have read that standard strings are not "heavy" enough to really do well for drop-C tuning. I bought a ESP LTD EC100 last week, and it really doesn't take much to hit the strings hard enough to get them to buzz.

So what gauge should the three low strings be? Should I also up the gauge for the high strings? Will I need to re-slot the grooves on the head stock and the bridge for heavier gauge strings?

you should be fine with .10's..ive used them for drop c and didn't have any problems. try the GHS Zakk Wylde set....
like 11s or any top/ heavy strings would work
Quote by nasstyman
i don't do drugs but i fook like a pronstar and i drink like a fish and smoke like a chimney....
get Ernie Ball skinny top heavy bottoms.

yum
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
11's or 12's
Quote by NGD1313
I cen lyk spel reel gud. I came n 2nd n da spelling b, sum dumb 4en kid beet meh.
Get a pack of 11s, and no, you won't need to re-slot the nut.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
honestly, I can only really use nines... anything else kills my fingers. I tune around alot too.. so my strings dont last too long
i've been using nines and its been fine going from standard to C
Satan isn't inside a guitar pick. He's in here. In our hearts. He's what makes us not want to go to work, or excercise or tell the truth. He's that little voice in your mind that says "Fuck you" to the people you hate.
Thanks.

I shouldn't be re-tuning this guitar often, most of the drop-tuning songs I like to play are either drop-D or C (RATM, System of a Down). Some drop-B in Chevelle..... but C is close enough.
My 11s feel too loose and easy in drop C...
I'm thinking of going up to 12s or 13s.
~ J6hn
How much more difficult would playing thicker gauge strings be?

The nearest guitar store is an hour away.... so I don't really have much in the way of means of trying it myself.
if your guitar stays in drop C most of the time like mine i would highly recommend light top heavy bottom. something like 10-52. this doesnt increase the difficulty of bends (actually makes them a little easier on top since you are not increasing the gauge much for the 2,3,&4 string) and give you a nice full/not floppy sound on your 5 & 6 string.
i use ghs dyl 12 gauge stings, they sond good and they last
after a while they do tarnish tho
a good sef of strings if you wont be tuning that much from c to standard to c like 9 times a day
Hey... Tony Iommi the king of dropped tuning uses 9's. What, you think dropped tuning is something new? Man, he has dropped down to C on a SG with 9's since the late sixties. I think that you will be alright with whatever strings you want as long as the neck is right and the bridge. Keep grinding!
^ that was only to ease the pain in his fingers or what was left of them. Chances are he would've preffered standard if it wasn't so painful
Quote by nasstyman
i don't do drugs but i fook like a pronstar and i drink like a fish and smoke like a chimney....
Quote by danielrobbyshor
get Ernie Ball skinny top heavy bottoms.

yum

Oh yes, YES, YES!

I use these, they are orgasmic.
Quote by Gunpowder
Sekhmet: Known for ritually sacrificing the innards of small woodland creatures.

Also, being a girly-girl.

Quote by Creepingjesus73
As for you, Mistress of Mayhem; just remember who it is who can lick * *** + *****'* **** *****out of the ****** of the ***!

what? 0,09's in drop C? at least 0,12's, I say
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball