My Squier strat has a HSS pickguard, but I want to throw a P-90 in the neck position, what would be the best way to do this without much risk of messing up?

I don't want to buy another pickguard because I just bought one to make it HSS and H/S/P90 pickguards aren't readily available.
just mark on the pickguard in pencil....the size of the P-90 and then use a dremel tool and rout out the pickup space
heavy support of A7X army pm Copius
Quote by spl3001
I think we can all really agree that nothing is more metal than playing a Telecaster....On fire.

Quote by GiantRaven
The rest of the album is brilliant but that one song just really gets right on my tits for some reason
^^ Good idea.

If you don't have a dremel tool, use a file and a coping saw or something.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by CORT noob
If you don't have a dremel tool, use a file and a coping saw or something.

I'll probably have to do that, I don't have a Dremel tool.

Quote by forsaknazrael
Don't forget you'll have to rout the wood underneath the pickguard.

Its HSH.
^Hmm, I'll have to check that out.

Edit: Your right, I'll check out my guitar's routing next time I open it up and check if there's enough room.

Question: The Middle single is reverse wound, if put in the neck/middle position, would the 60 cycle hum go away?
Last edited by Zofar at Nov 5, 2007,
I'd much rather have an actual p-90 in the neck, I find humbucker sized p-90's sound a bit off. If it won't fit, I'll probably just keep the single in the neck and maybe swap it out for a hotrail of some kind.
I would advise investing in a dremel. A file and sanding on that will take forever, and you have to be careful not to go crazy or you could crack the pickguard. The dremel works fast, and is easy to use. I would advise an extension shaft with it to give you a lot more control.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You're right about humbucker sized P-90's. I wouldn't put a hotrail in the neck, though...

Also, you could look into BG Pickup's S-90. It's a Strat-single-coil-sized P-90.

I know what I'm doing with the hotrail business, don't worry. I'll check out those single sized p-90s though.

Quote by CJRocker
I would advise investing in a dremel. A file and sanding on that will take forever, and you have to be careful not to go crazy or you could crack the pickguard. The dremel works fast, and is easy to use. I would advise an extension shaft with it to give you a lot more control.

I most likely won't be using it other than this one time, so I don't think it would be a worthwhile investment, that and I have no place to use one.
well i would take off the pickgaurd on you guitar
then place a stencil p90 pickgaurd ontop of yours (you could make it or something...)
after tracing the pick gaurd, cut your original pick gaurd with a precision saw type thing
Gaslight