Here is my first guitar:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RE2EX1-Electric-Guitar?sku=519783

Here is my amp:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Micro-Cube-Combo-Amp?sku=481169

I want to spend at least a minimum of two hours practicing the guitar each day, but most likely three or four.

I bought this book because I heard really good things about it:

http://www.amazon.com/Hal-Leonard-Guitar-Method-Complete/dp/0634047019/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-6496510-7370847?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194242591&sr=8-1

The problem is the book is boring as hell and all it is is theory and lame songs--there has to be a better way to learn, lol.

I also heard about this website:

http://www.nextlevelguitar.com/

I tried the free 3 day pass thing, and it seems pretty good but I'm not sure if it is good enough to pay $29/month for. I don't have a problem paying the money, but I don't know if it will be worth it, but maybe it will...

My question to you guys is, I want to learn the guitar in the fastest, most efficient way possible other than having a real life instructor.

And yes, there are faster, more efficient ways to learn the guitar. I have a friend who has been playing for a year with NO book, no instructor, no dvd's, no websites, all on his own and it took him over a year to play really basic Avril Lavigne chords.

I already know that the guitar is going to become the number one passion in my life because I have a goal--I want to start a new genre of sorts--I want to play Christian space metal. The sound will be similar to As I Lay Dying, Nightwish, Kalmah, 30 Seconds To Mars (1st album), and a few others.

What books, websites, etc., would you recommend for someone who wants to get great in the most efficient way possible. I don't want to be like my friend who spends most of his time messing around and not learning hardly anything--I want to become great.

Please keep in mind that right now I am a complete beginner and starting out fresh, so I want a good start instead of developing bad habits and having to unlearn them at a later point like a lot of people do.
Everyone learns differently. Just try learning from internet lessons (like here on UG, there free...what's to lose?). See how that goes, if it goes okay, keep at it. If not, maybe get lessons from a teacher. I wouldn't pay for online lessons...
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
Quote by neggbird
How about the UG lessons section.

I've looked over them and honestly there are only a few lessons in the beginner section and I don't even know what the hell they are talking about for the most part--they are crap and like I said I don't mind paying for something as long as it's good.
Then pay for private lessons with an instructor, that would be the best way, imo.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by TSelman
Everyone learns differently. Just try learning from internet lessons (like here on UG, there free...what's to lose?). See how that goes, if it goes okay, keep at it. If not, maybe get lessons from a teacher. I wouldn't pay for online lessons...

I tried the lessons here and for a complete newb, they didn't help me out one bit. Also, I don't have the time for a real life instructor or else I would. I usually will be practicing between 10p.m.-2a.m., so that is kind of out of the question unfortunately.
go self taugt after you learn the basics

thats how i got where i am (playing metallica, bullet for my valentine, atreyu, rage against the machine)

and im about to adition for a band tomorrow

ive only been playin a year in two weeks

its mostly from learning what i like

and using lessons here

if i cant learn it i come back a couple months later and try again

most importantly dont give up it takes time
Quote by Kensai
Girls don't have to do anything to be good in bed. If she's got a pulse she's automatically an 8.

Quote by ElectricFiend
I've looked over them and honestly there are only a few lessons in the beginner section and I don't even know what the hell they are talking about for the most part--they are crap and like I said I don't mind paying for something as long as it's good.

I had private lessons with an actual person, sure it's more expensive but within one year I could do what took my friend 4 years to learn. Find a good instructor near you. Also, for a beginning guitar, nice choice. When you get a new one later on, make sure you get something better than an Ibanez, I don't like their other stuff so much.
Quote by Sid McCall
Then pay for private lessons with an instructor, that would be the best way, imo.

No ****, I would if I could, but I can't due to my hectic schedule. Unfortunately I will only be able to play at night, usually from 10p.m.-2a.m. I appreciate you trying to help though : )
find a guitar teacher... i got one and i've been playing since february of this year and i think i have been learning quite quickly
OMG, I've said this about 2 or 3 times so far in this thread:

I CAN'T HAVE AN INSTRUCTOR IN REAL LIFE...

due to my hectic schedule. I will usually be practicing from 10p.m.-2a.m unfortunately : (
Quote by Commodity
There are plenty of great lessons on youtube.

I appreciate that, but I'm sure I'm really going to be able to learn all about the guitar by watching some videos on youtube, lol
I've been playing 11 months and I'm playing Trivium stuff from The Crusade and ascendancy and can learn basically anything tabbed that's not EXTREME. I've had no lessons or help with real life instructors, completely taught my self.

I've also learnt how to tab music properly in guitar pro and know notes of frets, a few online free lessons is all you need basically; I'm already making a band with my friend who's been playing about 3 years now with same teaching him self as me we can play on same level so I guess it's about the person.

Have fun rockin \m/
Quote by timo1
Those internet things that seem to good to be true probably are.Just keep on practicing

Keep on practicing what??? That's kind of why I created this thread...
Go to youtube. They have all kinds of begginer lessons on there.
Firstly, let me say, Congrats on the first step! You start playing and you'll never look back.
Next, I feel that the best way for me to learn is private lessons, also, if I REALLY want to learn a song that I might have tried to learn a while back I find it easier.
What I recommend is to make an organized practice schedule.

So you usually start practicing around 10 PM, and let's say you practice for 2 hours so you stop at 12.
You could start with 10 minutes of warming up which can include a few minutes of stretching your arm muscles and doing some chromatic exercises that work your fingers and build strength (just do 1-2-3-4 on all strings starting with the 6th string low E, do it slow to really work your hand muscles, don't overstrain your hand though). Try to fret the notes with the tip of your fingers right above the fret but NOT ON the fret.

Then do 20 minutes of speed developing/picking exercises, I recommend these:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/speed_buster_part_2_-_developing_speed_and_accuracy.html
These are really good. Do these with a metronome (start slow especially since you're just starting and slowly speed it up as you get better)

Then spend 15 or more minutes practicing scales
This should get you started:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/scales/scales_for_beginners.html

And 15 minutes practicing rhythm type stuff like chords (I recommend you look into Major and Minor open chords)

And the remaining hour you can use for songs, you can use a little bit of that hour to practice reading music and the rest of that hour practicing a song you want to learn with tabs. You can find plenty of tabs here on this site.

This is pretty much my practice schedule.
Since you're a beginner I recommend that your spend more time on building strength doing the chromatic exercises (1-2-3-4 things like that, use a metronome and do it slowly) and practicing open chords and changing between them (again, use a metronome, start slow). Also, since you're still a beginner I emphasize that you start working on alternate picking, it will really help you later on
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/alternate_picking_technique.html

Hope I was helpful
Yeah, you can also complement learning with Youtube, tons of great stuff there as other people have mentioned
Up the Irons
Last edited by King Jesus at Nov 5, 2007,
i swear to god try youtube.
u say you would like a personal teacher but you cant because of time constraints. youtube is the closest thing you will get to a personal teacher.

try this guy: http://www.youtube.com/user/beginnerguitarlesson
he makes quite a lot of video's all which progressively get harder, which helps

if you truly want to be "great" then you should try everything that people have said in this thread. and keep checking back here you might find something that someone else has posted that can be of great use to ya.

Cheers,
Chris
Jus to add my two cents, what really helped me was playing with people, watching them, going to gigs and stuff... Inspires you and make you want to learn how to play the sexy beast that is your guitar even more
Okay, a brief idea of the kind of things you want to be learning, and in which order. It's not a schedule, more a checklist of stuff you need to know before moving to the next thing.

What the various bits of the guitar actually do - read the stickies for that info
Holding the guitar
Tuning the guitar, both with a tuner but also learning how to tune it by ear from reference notes.
Learn the notes of the 6 open strings, namely E, A, D, G, B and E

Now, the best thing to learn firs tis chords. Start with the three easiest open chords, E, A and D. You'll spend hours simply trying to fret them cleanly...hold the chord down, and play down it slowly trying to get each note to ring cleanly, if it doesn't happen keep trying. After about 5 minutes try one of the other chords, but don't bother trying to change between chords as such, it'll take you ages, just concentrate on fretting and picking the chord cleanly.

This does two things, it helps you build strength in your left hand and gets your right hand used to the positions of the strings. Once you can fret those chords cleanly and play them cleanly have a go at some simple strumming patterns and when you're feeling brave have a go at changing chords. It'll proabably take you about a minute, but don't try and do it too quickly, just concentrate on moving from one chord to the other as accurately as possible. Once your fingers get used to it they'll get faster. You can also start your way on learning some notes, you don't have to go straight in and learn the whole fretboard but try and figure out the notes in the chords you play, or at the very least make sure you know the root note.

You've got 3 chords now, so it's time to introduce two others, C and G. They're a bit trickier but it's the same principle. You can also look at some of the basic inversions like the minor and 7th variants of the chords you've learned, also try and spot patterns in chord formation...you could also look at the chord construction with relation to the major scale.

Whilst doing this look for simple songs to play that just use chords, most will have a chord sheet with them so if there's a chord you don't know you can learn them. Don't go trying to play metal yet, it's too complicated. Chords are an excellent workout as they develop left hand strength and dexterity, whilst practicing different strumming patterns develops your right-hand rhythm. You can also experiment with arpeggiating chords to develop your picking accurace for individual notes.

The next step is barre chords, which are moveable open chords. They open up the fretboard a great deal but initially they're hard to nail, if you haven't already come across them now is the time to learn the dreaded B and F chords, and also to learn the notes on the fretboard. It's not that hard, there's only 12 of them, they just repeat in the same pattern. The combination of barre chords and knowing the notes on the fretboard allows you to play a lot of stuff pretty easily, and also makes it a lot easier to work stuff out.

You should have a pretty solid rhythm technique with all that under your belt, I reckon that could easily keep you going for a good 6 months, and you'll have pretty competent basic skills like being able to fret, change chords, pick etc. From there you can move into the more advanced stuff. You can touch on powerchords, but there's not a lot to do as everything about them you'll already have learned. Learn how to palm mute too, to get that chuggy sound from chords. Learn more advanced stuff, but learn easier stuff too...there's no law that says you can't play Puff The Magic Dragon at double speed with distorted powerchords.

Start looking at lead stuff too, learn some famous riffs and also learn the major scale in more depth, then look towards pentatonics which will get you on the road to improvising solos.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
You could look into Learn and Master the guitar with Steve Krenz. A lot of people speak highly of it. I have it and so far I can't speak that highly of it simply because the first 5 or 6 lessons is learning to read music and it's a royal pain. But looking a little farther I think it's going to be a quality learning system.

Learn and Master guitar is practically a private guitar instructor on your terms..s.