http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Vintage-Mahogany-Electric-Guitar?sku=517536

Is this guitar worth buying if I play from Indie to "Hardcore"
I am in a band and I gig a lot. I have been playing for around 6 years.
If you have one or played one or know anything about them let me know.

What are the pros and cons?
What genre does it play best?
Is it durable?
Is the neck big like the 50's neck or small like the 60's?

If this isn't going to suit me, please request a guitar for me.
My budget is under $1,000 (USD)
Guitars / Bass
60th anniversary strat
Ibanez Electric-Acoustic
Mitchell Electric-Acoustic
60th anniversary p-bass

Amps
TSL60 w/ 1960a
Frontman 25R II
Behringer BXL450A
This one was mine back in 2005:

This thing kicked aze! I loved the tone from the guitar. Nothing like it. The BurstBucker Pros help out a little I suppose.
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
The pickups aren't so great IMO. If I were you, look at some of the smaller brands. Ibanez, Schecter, etc. I know Schecter makes great guitars for the price because I play them so often. I think Gibson over charges a bit for most things. It would make a good Indie guitar, but hardcore would probably be a little much for it. Though, since I don't own the guitar, look to others first.
guitarrocka205, Do you think it can do hardcore music?
Guitars / Bass
60th anniversary strat
Ibanez Electric-Acoustic
60th anniversary p-bass

Amps
TSL60 w/ 1960a
Frontman 25R II
Behringer BXL450A
Quote by prunejuiceman74
The pickups aren't so great IMO. If I were you, look at some of the smaller brands. Ibanez, Schecter, etc. I know Schecter makes great guitars for the price because I play them so often. I think Gibson over charges a bit for most things. It would make a good Indie guitar, but hardcore would probably be a little much for it. Though, since I don't own the guitar, look to others first.

no schecter, ibanez, or any of those generic guitar companies make guitars with as much balls as a gibson les paul. they don't have the tone, or the sustain.

to the TS, go for that guitar man, especially since it's only wat 700 bucks? yeah it's worth it. the pickups are moderate output, but they are good. jimmy page doesn't use them for no reason.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
yeah. the other guitarist in my band has one. it's the sex.

do it now. no reasons needed.
Ibanez RG5EX1
Epiphone SG-400

Line 6 Spider II 112 - 75w

Monster
BOSS
Dunlop

i have a les paul.. not this exact model (infact i think its limited edition..)
but it can do up to early Metallica stuff
so hardcore (i assume you mean like Bad Brains and stuff) shouldnt be a problem
and i can do Slipknot/System of a Down too
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Well if Yngwie can do Shred on vintage 50's strat (he's a collector)

then you can play metal on an LP

Personally I consider LP's bulky and their sound to be muddy, but hey they're sexy guitars and they have great sustain.

Just don't try to do any shred on it, they're much too bulky to be comfortable with that.
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
yeah.. if you start off with some 22 fret all over the place shred business it gets hard.. they dont have the greatest fret access
make up for it with tone, class, and the awe it enspires in my girlfriend
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
What would be better, This or a Epiphone Les Paul Custom? I think this cause the pick ups are better I've heard.
Guitars / Bass
60th anniversary strat
Ibanez Electric-Acoustic
60th anniversary p-bass

Amps
TSL60 w/ 1960a
Frontman 25R II
Behringer BXL450A
The Gibson is a MUCH better guitar.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by psychokiller99
no schecter, ibanez, or any of those generic guitar companies

lol @ gibson not being generic.

Anyways, although I don't own a les Paul, they are among my favorite guitars considering the tone range and such, the only reason I haven't bought one is the price :P
i think it's a great guitar, but to the guy saying other brands don't have the tone or sustain as a gibson, lol....that's all i have to say...not everyone wants the tone of a les paul or SG, and gibson and fender may as well be called generic anyway, not saying they're not amazing guitars...just everyone and their brother has one, that's generic..

but yeah, i've played that particular les paul and loved it, i think it's the best value of the entire les paul line, and it will do the styles you mentioned great TS
They're really nice and I've seen some hardcore kids using these. It's not going to sound exactly like a normal LP though because it doesn't have the carved maple cap for a top. Instead it's just a big block of mahogany. Not a bad thing, just different. I've fiddled around with a couple of these in stores and was impressed. They're just nice and very good for what they are at their price.

Now this I may be wrong about but the electronics seem better than most LP Studios. The BurstBucker Pros are supposed to be pretty good pickups, no? They're what they throw into the LP Standards at least. The regular line of Studios have different pickups.
I have one and I love it. When I got it, the original owner put Seymour Duncans (Pearly Gates neck/JB bridge) in it, and when I played it against a LP standard, mine sounded better. It's really a great Gibson for a cheap price
Quote by TaCo_SaUSE386
guitarrocka205, Do you think it can do hardcore music?

Hardcore? I suppose, man. It would depend on the amp too. I'd say yea if the amp has good tube distortion.
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
I think it's a good deal, less than 8 bills for a Les Paul with a HS case! I still would try and find one to play first to see if it is the guitar for you before you buy it. I like Gibsons Busrstbuckers I think they sound great.
mmmmmm Id buy it if you had an amp or some pedals that could give you that "hardcore" sound. almost any guitar works as long as you have the amp that will give u the right sound.
My guitar teacher got himself one of these a while back and he uses it as his main live guitar instead of the Gold Top. Says it's great, I got hold it and get a feel for the neck and it was great, seemed to have a very soft V shape to it, not sure whether it's 60's or 50's, but I remember the neck seeming nice.

The finish is also great, natural and smooth. Haven't had the chance to play one through an amp though. Having two humbuckers and being an LP, it should cover your styles pretty well...also the price seems great for what your getting.

I suppose you could also look into a Epiphone Elitist series guitar, which I hear can be close to the Gibson Standard...no experiance with one though..
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Nov 6, 2007,