So im getting some extra $$. I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, running it through a peavey bandit 112 and am looking for some new 'buckers to make this thing scream.

I listen to metal. Children of Bodom, Arch Enemy, Pantera, Trivium, Megadeth, Metallica, In Flames, those are a couple of bands im really into. But I really dig melodic death metal. So im into lots of gain, but also good clarity.

Any suggestions on what some good passive pickups would be? I dont have enough money to get actives and get them installed I dont think... My friend knows how to install passives. Basically it seems like its either Dimarzio or SD.
epiphone les paul standard
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
-You don't seem to realize that heaven and hell are just delusions created to control the masses through fear and false promises.
If you can, try and get a Seymour Duncan Dimebucker in the bridge. You'll get that really distinctive Dimebag tone which is great for metal.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
what about SD distortion? but, i think SD Blackouts would be much perfect for your playing style though
Ulquiorra Schiffer of THE BLEACH CLUB!

The Official UG Hate Crew member!

Love me because i'm an azn. hell yeah.
Last edited by finalzz at Nov 5, 2007,
actives arent that much more expensive than passives? Consider EMG actives.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Quote by Ichimaru
If you can, try and get a Seymour Duncan Dimebucker in the bridge. You'll get that really distinctive Dimebag tone which is great for metal.

Oh hell no. Stay away from the Dimebucker .

He never even used it... and you can get the pickups he used for cheaper.

Dime didn't even use these
Quote by forsaknazrael
Why don't you put that money to where it'll make a bigger difference, and upgrade past the Bandit or the Rage you play through?

Pickups are a small part of the tonal equation...Your amps make a MUCH bigger difference.

+1

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
Oh hell no. Stay away from the Dimebucker .

He never even used it... and you can get the pickups he used for cheaper.

Dime didn't even use these

+1

sigh, even though there are countless pictures of him using them live...

I cant afford another amp, maybe christmas.
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
-You don't seem to realize that heaven and hell are just delusions created to control the masses through fear and false promises.
Quote by liquidknowledg4
sigh, even though there are countless pictures of him using them live...

I cant afford another amp, maybe christmas.

No there aren't, most of the pictures are of him using the L500 XL.

An amp will make a lot more difference, yes you could buy pickups but that means $100 less to spend on your amp come Christmas, which could be the difference between getting the right amp and having to compromise.

You're far better planning a bit more long term, think about upgrading the amp and what you'd upgrade to, and also when you're likely to do it. Pickups simply don't make as much difference as you think they will.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
No there aren't, most of the pictures are of him using the L500 XL.

To true, it's bill lawrence all the way for dimebag
Quote by Walternativo
actives arent that much more expensive than passives? Consider EMG actives.

I am, its just wouldnt installation cost a bitchload? I mean I have a LP and they gota rewire everything. I was guessing it would cost a pretty penny to get them installed.
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
Then get Bill Lawrences?

You could always do it yourself.
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by axe_thrasher
To true, it's bill lawrence all the way for dimebag

true he used them most of his career, but saying he never used them is pretty stupid.
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
well just called GC and emgs would be 200$ plus 80$ install so thats 300 altogether basically. The SD JB and Jazz set is 130$ and I can get those installed for free, so I guess ill settle with passives!
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
Quote by riffslut
have you looked into some pearly gates pickups....

I havent, never heard of em.
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
Quote by liquidknowledg4
true he used them most of his career, but saying he never used them is pretty stupid.

Yeah, he used Bill Lawrence his career...Never the Dimebucker.

Quote by liquidknowledg4
well just called GC and emgs would be 200$ plus 80$ install so thats 300 altogether basically. The SD JB and Jazz set is 130$ and I can get those installed for free, so I guess ill settle with passives!

Passive will still be around 150-200 dollars installed.

Just save up for a good amp. Seriously, pickups are a small part of your tone.
I say get the EMGs....sounds like you want new pickups because it's the cool thing to do, you certainly don't seem to have done enough, if any, research to make an informed choice. If it's street cred you want then it's EMGs all the way
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
I say get the EMGs....sounds like you want new pickups because it's the cool thing to do, you certainly don't seem to have done enough, if any, research to make an informed choice. If it's street cred you want then it's EMGs all the way

Quote by utsapp89
Dimarzio PAF Pro neck / Evo 2 bridge.

They should both be passive, I think.

www.dimarzio.com

They sound badass. Dimebuckers = crap. EMG's, in my honest opinion, are way too noisy.

Actives usually sound like crap through cheap solid states.

Edit:: Ew. Bandit 112?

+100 @ Amp suggestions.

Roland Cube 30X. All you'll need + some.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Last edited by Ishiga at Nov 5, 2007,
Why don't you find a LP-like guitar that is set up with the right tone...
And then match your pickups to that?
Is there a specific tone you're going for?
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Quote by Ishiga
Dimarzio PAF Pro neck / Evo 2 bridge.

They should both be passive, I think.

www.dimarzio.com

They sound badass. Dimebuckers = crap. EMG's, in my honest opinion, are way too noisy.

Actives usually sound like crap through cheap solid states.

Edit:: Ew. Bandit 112?

+100 @ Amp suggestions.

Roland Cube 30X. All you'll need + some.

whats wrong with a 112? I can't afford to go get some tube amp, and this is my dads and he lets me use it all the time. How is a cube 30 better than a bandit?
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero