I recently bought a Johnson Catalyst for about 350 from my music store up the street and i needed help from all you people at ultimate guitar. Let's face it, i'm a beginner, well when it come's to tech stuff, i've always just played and had fun but my amp just isnt cutting it. So i wanted some help. I want to know what i should look for when i buy my new amp, and also what else i have to buy to make my sound as distorted as possible(pedals ect.) Any suggestions? What do you play with and how is it working for you?

-Thanks in advance
Yes my name is Tom Petty.

GEAR:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean Razorback D
(crappy)RED Marshall Mg100hdfx Halfstack
Digitech Death Metal Pedal
Well, you should generally look for good quality, I guess. Look at the features and the description of the amp and that should give you a general idea of what sort of things it would be good for.

What kind of music do you play? And how much can you spend?
What kind of style do you play?
What is your budget?
What other gear do you have?
What kind of a tone are you after?
Combo/stack or doesn't matter?
How loud does it need to be, are you gigging?
Where are you from (US, UK, Europe, other?)?
Anything else?
Last edited by Fama at Nov 5, 2007,
budget ranges up to $400 maybe 450. I like to play a little of everything, but i love a metal kinda tone or a sharp(?) solo kinda tone(like van halen stuff) vauge i know. I have some little amp that came with the strat i had a while ago, it's a "johnson,100 power tube" and it sucks. Also i'm new to the amp stuff, so what is good?(stack?, huh) please expain.

-thanks

GEAR:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean Razorback D
So, versatile, distortion should be good and something suitable for leads. 400/450 dollars, you're US I guess. Do you need enough volume for gigging/band practice?
Yeah i am in the US, and yeah i like to play loud, but not too loud, alos what else can i get, pedals? ect. to get a heavy distorted effect. (someone said something about "Pods"?)

GEAR:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean Razorback D
Quote by tommyp484
Yeah i am in the US, and yeah i like to play loud, but not too loud, alos what else can i get, pedals? ect. to get a heavy distorted effect. (someone said something about "Pods"?)

Well, if you have an amp that has a good distortion in itself, you don't need any pedals. POD's are digital amp modellers by Line 6, some people like them but others think they sound too digital and just bad overall. I'm not that good at suggesting amps, so I'm waiting for other people to come around and help you.
oh that makes sense. The amp i have has a HORRIBLE distortion. Yeah i wish some other people would help.

GEAR:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean Razorback D
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pignose-G40V-Tube-Amp?sku=489052

+

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-TS9-Tube-Screamer-Effects-Pedal-Original-Reissue?sku=150284

The Pignose has enough gain for modern music, but the Tube Screamer will tighten it up and give it more punch.

Don't be put off by the name "Pignose."
Find me another amp company who make 40W all tube amps for $320...and they're quality.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

hmmm. i think i ran across that amp earlier with my friend, and he said not to get that brand what does anyone else think. also, i checked my bank account, i now only have $300 to spend. grrrr.

GEAR:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean Razorback D
need some help too, this thread's the only one that i think can help me.. if anyone could help would be great!
i've started a band a couple of months ago just for fun but now we want go a little bit more serious and don't have much money yet and we need to buy some stuff.. we'll need drums, 2 new guitars(just because ), mics, a bass, bass amp, loudspeakers (at least thats what i think you call it in english..) and a sound table(don't now either if that's how you name it..). we already have a 10watt and 15 watt amps for guitar but as far as i know with a 150watt loudspeaker and a sound table i can connect it all and have a good sound right? like if we had 150watt amps right? because if we bought amps with that power we couldn't buy nothing else for a long time!
and i'd like to know also if the same loudspeaker can be used tou output the sound from both the guitars, bass and mics or if i need to buy several for the diferrent sounds? we don't have much money to spent, we'll have something around 2000 euros but for all that we need thats not very much..
thanks everyone people!

oh and we also have good efect pedals so theres no problem for the kind of sound, we also play from heavy loud metal to soft calm stuff so...

edit: if anyone wants to help please go to the "help with starting band, gear and money!" thread that i've made. thank you
Last edited by Nemesis Phenix at Nov 5, 2007,
any helpp?

GEAR:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean Razorback D
everyone disses on line 6 but if your a beginner metal player than its what you need.
harmonics come out easy on it and its extremely versataile.

look it up
maybe a 75w or 35w
Quote by tommyp484
budget ranges up to $400 maybe 450. I like to play a little of everything, but i love a metal kinda tone or a sharp(?) solo kinda tone(like van halen stuff) vauge i know. I have some little amp that came with the strat i had a while ago, it's a "johnson,100 power tube" and it sucks. Also i'm new to the amp stuff, so what is good?(stack?, huh) please expain.

-thanks

im confused. in say you dont know what a stack is, yet your sig says you have an mg halfstack. also, you say you have a "johnson 100 watt tube" amp, yet again, your sig says otherwise.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by Nemesis Phenix
need some help too, this thread's the only one that i think can help me.. if anyone could help would be great!

I didn't read all of that but you really need to start your own thread vs. threadjacking. No worries tho, i do it all the time.

and TS (threadstarter) you may also want to look at the Valveking combos based on your style and budget.

later