Hey UG, does anyone know what downstemmed notes are/mean? In the metallica tabbook for justice, on the song one after the 3rd chorus, its got a chord, then another chord on the other side of a slash in the tab. looks like this
|--------|
|-5|----|
|-5|2--|
|---|2--|
|-------|
|-------|
underneath it it says "* Downstemmed notes indicated to the right of slash in TAB" and in notation, its just one note. Help please.
Usually, when you see two sets of notes separated by a slash in the same measure it means that one guitar played the upstemmed notes and another guitar played the downstemmed notes. So it's actually two guitar parts, not one that is written in one line of music.
Haven't you heard?

It's a battle of words
This is a guess, but i think its like the same chord almost but lower, because the 5th fret on the B string is the same note as the 2nd on the D string. The only thing different other than the octave shift is the 5th to 2nd fret on the G string. Hope that helped.
Then that means metallica are using 4 guitars in that part, how strange/silly. Even iron maiden couldnt play that live.
metallica, in the days before they lost their balls and long hair, would track a lot of multi-part harmonies. live, it's as simple as using a harmonizer pedal, or playing double stops on the guitar.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
Quote by Arycama
Then that means metallica are using 4 guitars in that part, how strange/silly. Even iron maiden couldnt play that live.

I'm guessing that one guitar is playing the

-
-
-
-

and that another is playing the

-
-
-
-

(But it might be four different guitars on the recording.)
Quote by I floss daily
I'm guessing that one guitar is playing the

-
-
-
-

and that another is playing the

-
-
-
-

(But it might be four different guitars on the recording.)

like i said earlier, they did a lot of multi-part harmonies for recording. live, hammett sometimes used a harmonizer, or would play double-stops, along with the terrorist (a.k.a. hetfield, see here ). maybe even omit some notes. such as the E - why play it twice?
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables