Page 1 of 2
Hey,

My names Travis and iv been playing bass now for about 4 and a half years and up until about 2 months ago the only bass i had was a crappy stagg. I've got a new bass now but i went with a 6 string and I don't think i should have because my stagg was 4 and my brothers vintage was 5. So I'm starting to get used to the 6 but I still cant do slap as well as I could on a 4 and i just can't find anything I really want to play on a 6. Should i just sell my six and got back to 4 or 5? I'm in the process of building my self a 4 string at the moment but I don't know how long that's going to take because I don't have any cash to work on it at the moment. Any ideas?

Btw my 6 string is a Warwick streamer LX.

Cheers,

Travis
It is known that slapping and popping on a six string is much harder on a sixer than a 4 string because of the smaller spacing between the strings, but it is possible - if you practice it.

If it is that much of a problem for you not to slap, go back for the 4 string, or try the 5 string, some get on that boat.
Id rather keep the sixer and simply slap on the 4 string when needed.

You can try playing some Dream Theater, youll have enough songs for the 6 string through them.
Its not so much that I can't slap on it its that I don't see how the extra strings are benefiting my playing really.
I know what you mean. I'm choosing 4 strings over 5 strings because I don't know when I'll ever use the 5th string. Putting low E in D suffices for anything I'm likely to write, and definately cover.

Either buy a 4/5 string or sell the 6 if you don't think it benefits you. Otherwise it's just like having 6 strings to look serious.
Quote by Paul Lambeth

Is it lame to quote yourself in your sig?
Yea well I like 5's so will probably go with 5 also I'm busy building a 4 string and having 2 four strings would be stupid.
well i dont know what to do wit ha a 6 but with a 5 thats another story, i let my thumb rest on the 5th string whilei play with the other figers and then i can use it to play cool things since theres more songs with 5 than 6 strings that i can recall of :P cheers

Also check on youtube videos of tetsuo sakurai, that should give you an idea and if you can get the gentle hearts tour from 2004 then you WILL get the idea of a 6 string bass haha
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Well... the string spacing on most six strings is tinier than on 4 or 5 strings.

I don't really like slapping and popping so I don't do it a lot. But if you like it, you might consider practising more OR take your 4/5 string with you on gigs etc. OR buy another bass and maybe consider not to buy a 6.

I don't have a 6-string (yet), but I am definetely going to buy one
I think the thing is I only have a 6 string so I cant just pick up a 4 when I need to so its really frustrating considering I know one or two wooten songs and i just cant play them on the 6.
I've got a 6 and I use it almost as much as my 4 string, simply because they both sound so different. yes, slapping is harder and it is heavier, but its brighter and the string spacing is really comfortable
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
You have a sweet axe, by the way.

By the way, I'm thefitz, resident jerk.

Anyway, I think there's an inherent learning curve when dealing with extended-range bassists, but I think it's conquerable. I think you've been so used to your four/five string that you feel totally out of your comfort zone on a six. I think getting out of your comfort zone every now and then is a good idea - and you can totally get over that 6-string hump! It'll take a long time, and you'll swear a lot, but you'll get over it. If I can play in tune on a $100 7-string fretless acoustic bass with nil string spacing, you can win the war in Iraq with that bass.

The Warwick Streamer LX is a beautiful axe and you should treasure it - or, at least, give it a few months. Hell, a year. If you're not totally in love with it (wondering how you could have ever played on anything less) by then, you probably never will be. Make the change then.

And it's nice to see a new user with a good question. Everyone benefits.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Cheers man I should really see how it goes just finding it really frustrating at the moment.
Definitly keep it, You not be learning any new 6 string songs but you will eventully be writing new stuff and those to extra strings will keep your basslines fresh and interesting.
I had to make the same decision a few years ago. I realized I would benefit from having the low B but not the higher C.

Regardless, you definitely got yourself a quality bass.
keeeeep it its an awesome axe i could only ever dream of atm
I am me. Live with it.
Well i only reason I could afford it is because my I got given a drum kit for free that turned out to be vintage Gretsch so I sold that and used the money to buy my bass bust still even then my bass is second hand and i got a good deal on it.
I see what you mean, dude. I've only got 4 strings to work with and that is fine with me, but I always acknowledge how beneficial that low B would be. It wasn't until the other day I sat there thinking, "if I had that high C, I could really go further with this lick." But I mean, that was really the only instance that I had even thought about going higher.

I guess my point is, you don't really have to be a ROBOCOP bass player to justify owning and playing a 6 string, but I do think you really have to decide if you're even going to use your extended range in standard application. I doubt I will ever feel the need to own a 6 string bass, but I can definitely see a 5 in my future.
I'd keep it if I were you. 6 string basses are an acquired taste, and you'll grow to appreciate a bass of that caliber. Great axe, by the way.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Yah, I'd keep it no doubt. You'll find such uses for the extended range, especially with the high C. I never really found a use for a low B but the high C would be invaluable to me.
I think that you may find that the number of strings is all a point of reference - you'll end up using the strings more as notes in any given hand position as opposed to "oh, this I'll do on a high C!"
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
a vote for keeping it, i could only imagine you become a much better player and then think, "**** i could really do with a 6er"
yea, if it was a cheap 6er i would say maybe you just don't like the bass itseld, but that warwick is a NICE bass, i would say stick with it for a while, eventually you'll be able to use the extra strings, sometimes it makes stuff easier, you won't have to move up and down the fretboard so much

also, you'll get used to the string spacing eventually

stick with it, if you still can't get it after a few months, you can sell it for enough money to get a really nice 4 or 5 string, but i would stay stick with it
Quote by thefitz
I think that you may find that the number of strings is all a point of reference - you'll end up using the strings more as notes in any given hand position as opposed to "oh, this I'll do on a high C!"

Yeah, I see what you mean. It's just when improvving/writing, I do often think "having that high C would make this a lot easier", but the only time I ever think that with a low B is when I want to play Dream Theater >_>;.

Either way, definately keep the bass. You'll learn to love the options it brings you.
Last edited by RJayZ at Nov 6, 2007,
I own a 6-string samick and i love it. I started on a 5er and then went to 4. now i have my 6er and it's the best choice i've made. I'll admit I don't use that C string very often but in some Iron Maiden and other stuff that gets into the higher register it can be really handy having that extra string. My suggestion is keep it and decide later. Make sure you learn your scales across all 6 strings and practice them a lot. Also if you find that the C string is too tinny sounding because of the really low gauge you could do what i do and stick a 45 gauge in there when my G is a 50.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
while its hard to adapt it will probably be worth it in the end. at first getting used to my 5-string was tough, but now a normal bass seems really limited.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Nice - I love those flamed maple bodies that are on Warwicks - have one m'self! How's the EQ on this? 2-band or 3-band?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
i've been trying to justify getting a 6 for a while myself

I want that low B for someof the heavier stuff i'm starting to find myself playing and i want that high C for chordal stuff and playing in my roots band.

I think i'll just have to try a few i guess
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
I recently went from a mid/lower-range 4 to a mid-high range 6 (both Ibanez, yep thats right the legendary, now extinct SR506 ) & I absolutely LOVE IT! Seriously I would have regretted NOT getting a 6 over a 5 string.

Sure it has to do with my style of playing & the Music I listen to, but either way it was a move I'm happy with. It does take a little bit to get over, as The Fitz said, but that varies from person to person (I was quite surprised at myself not taking long at all to ..... like a week to get used to the neck size & 2-3 for the spacing/positions etc).

Anyway, overall just try not to think within normal Bass contexts when playing around /learning on it & more just move around the fret-board & experiment with different sounds & strings (stuff like chordal arpeggios etc that you might not have tried with your old 4-stringer).
Quote by thefitz
Nice - I love those flamed maple bodies that are on Warwicks - have one m'self! How's the EQ on this? 2-band or 3-band?

Not 100% sure on that one has four knobs so 2-band?

Quote by Monkey_Bassist

Sure it has to do with my style of playing & the Music I listen to, but either way it was a move I'm happy with. It does take a little bit to get over, as The Fitz said, but that varies from person to person (I was quite surprised at myself not taking long at all to ..... like a week to get used to the neck size & 2-3 for the spacing/positions etc).

I actually picked up the spacing and neck size fairly quickly just don't know how to apply the extra strings to my playing. It probably is just that I've never ha any lessons before so my theory knowledge is fairly non existent.
Dude, It's your choice and you have a great axe but I'm partial to 4's because I never tune down past C anyway
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
It's a nice bass. How much did you pay for it anyway?

6 strings aren't for everyone. A lot of people just prefer to stick to the standard 4 strings and if you don't love a bass like that immediately I doubt you will in the near future...
everyone i've talked to who plays a 6 string says it kicked their asses for a while, but they finally were albe to tame it, so it's probably in how much time you put into it.

im a 4 string guy, even though my main bass is a 5, so whenever i play a 6 im pretty much just ignoring the high and low stings. something i kinda regret..........so, just play it a lot and get comfortable
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
I have a six string and I use the high C all the time, mostly when I'm reading sheet music though considering it doesn't actually give you a fret, just a note. I guess it's just preference.

My main guitar is a seven string as well, maybe I just enjoy more strings?

Anyways, what I had to get used to was how thin the C string was.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Last edited by Metalology at Nov 14, 2007,
yeah man stick to that bass. its really good, not worth selling again. i got a 7 string after playing 4 string for a year :P i cant get enough of it even the low F#
Quote by tombo32
yeah man stick to that bass. its really good, not worth selling again. i got a 7 string after playing 4 string for a year :P i cant get enough of it even the low F#

What would you use that for aside from Messhugah?
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
The issue I find with slapping on a five or six string is that the low B/C's like a fucking telegraph wire - if you hit that thing, even when it's muted, you're going to get a rumble like a rockslide. But it's possible, you just have to excersize better control and precision (understandably) than with a four string. If you've shelled out for one it's worth the extra practice it'll take to get used to it - getting to a good skill level on a six-string will open up what you can do with a bass. The chordal capabilities are obviously wider, and playing key in position is easier because there's more than a range one and a half octaves without having to change. Six strings are pretty good for tapping as well, especially seeing as the action tends to be lower and the strings closer.
"Is it an ambulance? Is he Philip Larkin? So much power in so few words."
~The Observer

"A transcendant terrestris, a timeless behemoth, trapped like Sisyphus in the cyclical burden of his own genius."
~The Sun

"His a cant."
~The Independent
People keep telling me, "you're NEVER going to need 6 strings." However, I'd like to see somebody play a majority of Primus's stuff on a 4-string. Hard as ****. Besides, it's not like you're limiting anything by adding strings. All you're doing is adapting and giving yourself more options.
Page 1 of 2