forgive if this is a stupid question, but im still yet to get my first guitar (hopefully gettin one for christmas) and just from readin over the tabs, it looks to me like theyre written upside down. as in, on the guitar the thickest string is going to be at the top closest to your head, and the thinnest string is going to be on the bottom closest to the floor. however, on the tabs ive seen, it looks like the thickest string is places at the bottom of the 6, and the thinnest is placed at the top. am i right, or do i just have the order of the tuning of the strings wrong?
The thickest is at the bottom, yes.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
It's laid out from the players perspective. When you're playing the guitar, as you look down at it, the thickest string is at the bottom.
Quote by blue_strat
It's laid out from the players perspective. When you're playing the guitar, as you look down at it, the thickest string is at the bottom.

best definition of tabs ive heard.
Quote by funkyfigure8
omfg no wonder all my **** sounds wrong

and you've been playing for HOW long now?

yeah, tabs are written inverse then strings are laid out on the guitar. don't ask me for a better definition.
It's VERY important to remember that what you're calling 'the top' (i.e. the thickest string, 6th E), is actually the bottom. It might look like the top when you look at a guitar but musically, it's the lowest note and is thus at the bottom. In music, you refer to things musically, not physically.