I play my Schecter Hellraiser through a Crate VTX200S 2x10 SS amp, but don't overally care for it's built-in distortion. I am looking for a good pedal that does Metallica type distortion for leads/solos, but one that wont cost me an arm and a leg. Was thinking about either the Boss Metal Zone or Boss Metal Core. Thoughts on those or any other suggestions?
My gear...

Samick Les Paul (AV6VB) Guitar w/ SD Alnico2/JB
Marshall AVT150H halfstack
Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 Bass
Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
Everyones gonna say this, but its absolutely true. Let me be the first-

Boss sucks, get the Metal Muff.

Trust me, its 100% true, and every UGer will tell you the same.
I've heard good things about the Metal Muff. Some people seem to like Metal Zone/Core, but others absolutely hate it. I haven't used any one of them myself.
dont get a metalzone!
from my experience the tone is thin and grainy and VERY week sounding.
Top lel.
ooooh i was gonna start a thread 4 the same thing but ive just seen this one i want a very rich heavy but not to much distortion coz then i wont be able to hear what im playing.

I was recommended boss MT-2 zone, but it seems that it isn't a very good one to get please can sum1 help me?

G
GUI
GUITA
GUITARH
GUITARHEAD
GUITARH
GUITA
GUI
G

Satch fans?

Joe Satriani ...(group) ...(join it)
metal muff for cheapness + quality. check out the proco rat 2 also.

Boss distortion pedals are pathetic in my opinion, and before some faggot flames me, i'm only talking about their distortion
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Put it this way. My friend has Metal Muff through a Marshall MG and sounds totally badass. 'Nuff said.
AMT Extreme III. Its like a recto in a box. I think the Metal Muff is thin and fizzy soudning, kinda like the MetalZone. the MetalCore is really for Numetal and what not, with its heavily scooped sound.
Quote by balboala
how bout the digitech metal master?

I had a metal master, they are pretty awesome if you tweak the EQ right. I had to sell it off though.... !
metalzone is like a beez in a tin can, same with metal muff, but to a lesser extent imo. Well it is a hi-gain fuzz pedal.

If really want a good quality distortion in a stompbox, get a Sansamp GT2. But it is a lil on the pricy side.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers