I want to treat myself to a new amp this Christmas for around £400, and i have been looking at the Marshall DSL401 and the Peavey Classic 30. I play mostly rock, blues and some metal usually with a Ibanez JS1200 or Gibson Sg Special. I would use the amp for mostly home practice and band practice. Ive heard that the dsl401 has some issues with overheating, could anyone tell me about that? And is the footswitch on the Classic 30 the same as the one on the Peavey 6505? Which is a terrible peice of useless plastic crap. What amp do you think i should go for? Or anyone have any suggestions of anything else (bear in mind that i live in the u.k and it would also need a effects loop to run my Isp Decimator and Boss DD-3 through)

Thanks
the footswitch for 5150's are all metal? i dont think ive seen a plastic footswitch for a 5150/6505....mines a damn tank
i would say the DSL.

and you have a JS1200!

GIMME!
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
I'm not sure I can recommend the DSL. I have a used one, but I am not as big a fan of it as I want to be. The clean channel is amazing. It is quite warm and rich, esp. from a Marshall. OD1 seems fairly weak, whereas OD2 is way over the top most of the time. OD1 is more vintage oriented, and OD2 is modern. Unfortunately, the amp suffers from a lot of fizz. The higher the gain gets, the more the fizz increases. You can use the EQ to minimize it, but it seems impossible to remove it completely. The clipping and breakup on it seems very harsh...almost like a solid state. My other big complaint is the way the effects loop is setup, you can only get up to 50% mix of effects at most because the signal is mixed back into the original guitar signal.

It does have the Marshall growl to it though, and that is fun, especially if you've never owned one. But I'm looking for something with more balls and more definition. IMO you might be okay with using an OD and an EQ pedal to get it close to some metal, but try it out in the store before you put down the cash for it.

Or, you can buy mine.
i don't define myself by what silly groups i join.
I'd say ENGL Thunder but i'm perhaps biased. I do think it's far superior to the Marshall but I've never played the peavey, I imagine the ENGL would handle metal better though. Gotsta try them out really but the thunder is £495 and doesn't include a footswitch (the metal one costs £50, but you can get a cheap plastic one in the mean time for £5)

The marshall isn't really all that marshally in my opinion if your going for that classic marshall sound. It has ok cleans, good crunch, fairly good lead overdrive but nothing to shout about. The thunder has awesome cleans ok crunch and awesome metal leads.

Maybe check ebay for a used jcm800 but I doubt you'll get one for £400, maybe a good deal will come along though
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
The peavey is one fine amp. And cheap to boot.
It'd sound really nice with an SG.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Between the two I would recommend the 401. I've never had (or heard of, for that matter) and issues with overheating on it. Its versatile, it sounds great and it is ****ing LOUD.

The peavey will probably be cheaper, but it won't handle the heavier stuff by itself very well. It sounds great for some rock and blues and isn't quite as loud but the 401 has it over on the classic by just a nipple's hair.
2004 Fender Mexican Fat Strat
2003 Epiphone SG-400
Marshall DSL-401
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter

http://www.myspace.com/realityfracture/
it really depends how much "some metal" is, if it's rarely then you can get away with an acceptable metal tone with the peavey classic and an overdrive I'm sure
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
I've never actually tried the Peavey, but I can confirm that I've never had any overheating issues with my DSL.

I'm looking to replace it however, but becuase it just doesnt sound good to my ears anymore
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
used jcm 800 off of ebay or somewhere
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Thanks for all of your help guys, i think I'm leaning more towards the Peavey Classic 30 now.
Lets wait and see what Santa will bring me