Right, i am currently in the middle of upgrading all my kit to get:

a) A more versitile sound than i currently have.
b) A rig loud enough to gig with.

My Current Kit:

Dean ML
Fender American Standard Tele (well i will very soon!)
Boss ME-50 (Will probly replace with single pedals in the long run...)
Peavy Rage 158 (little 15w SS thing)

But as far as amps go i am not sure what is best, especially when im looking for somthing which can cut it clean, but can give me plenty of Overdrive when i need it.

I play All sorts of styles from Funky clean sounds (think RHCP ans Arctic Monkeys), Alt Rock, and sometimes beaching into metal (Metalica, Trivum) (not very well i must add!).

It seems that valve amps are the way to go to get great tone, and i really want an amp which does my brand new tele justice! I dont mind sacrificing metal tone as this is not the style of the band im in, its more of a plus point if i can get a decent metal tone out of a tupe amp, rather than an essential.

Anyways, ive been looking at Vox AD100VT's, Peavy Classic 50's and those Line 6 Valve models (I played one on the weekend and was impressed, but its the 1st time ive played a tube so i have nothing to compare it against really.)

You can kinda see my budget by the kinda amps ive mentioned above (i wouldent wanna spend more that the cost of the 212 line 6 really...)

Soooo, anybody own the above mentioned amps or got any suggestions. Any imput is good imput.

Thanks!!
Last edited by Tom!! at Nov 5, 2007,
What's your price range?

I just bought a Peavey Classic 50, for what it's worth.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I'm running a used Fender Pro-185...
If you have pedals you can get the best sound for anything, but the Amp's overdrive isn't very good.
But Line 6's are real good... Crate's are good for cheap, around $250-350...
My mom says I'm cool-
The world needs a clown-
The Dr. says real milk could kill me-

Milhouse
Peavey classic 50 is excellent.
Much better than the fender tube combos at it's price (sorry fender fanboys).
Except, the fender combos have better stock speakers.
Stay away from line6's and solid state crates, oh, and the marshall MG.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by FacingUsAll
What's your price range?

+1, also location is important.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well my budget is £600-ish (thats about $1000 i think...)

And im in the UK if thats what the guy above ment my my location (does it make a difference? )
It makes a difference price-wise. How about an Orange or Laney combo? Rocker 30 or LC30/VC30, maybe.
I really like the look of those Orange Rocker 30's.

How does a 30w valve combo suit small-medium live venues?
^Perfectly.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Tom!!
How does a 30w valve combo suit small-medium live venues?

With no struggle whatsoever
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Thanks guys =D

If anyone else wants to chip in with their experiences with any of the above mentioned amps then please do! (:

Is there ant reason to avoid the Line 6 spider Valves?

Line 6 seem to get alot of hate on these boards it seems...
Quote by Tom!!
Only the spiders and the new spider valves.
I don't think there's a reason to avoid them other than the extortionate price they're putting on them.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Tom!!

Some people have tried them and said they still sound digital. I'm not going to judge until I've been out and tried one myself.

And Yngwi3 is right - only the Spiders and Spider Valves really get the hatred. Some people (mainly those who hopped on the bandwagon and haven't tried a single Line 6 product) will go on about how everything Line 6 makes is crap, but the PODs, Flextones, HD147s and Vettas are all really good. The Vetta is an expensive beast, though...
Only the line 6 spiders/spide valves are disliked. The POD's, Vettas, and flextones are actually quite good. I owned a spider, and even though it does beat out player pack amps, it's sounds are fake and digital.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Tom!!

There was some kid shredding on one of those at my GC last night. He was playing at relatively low volumes, so I can't say for sure, but at those levels it really wasn't discernable from a standard Spider. Maybe it comes to life a little at gigging volumes? I don't know.

I plugged into a VK 212 myself for a little while. Still not for me, but I could see how someone looking for a more modern voiced amp would have an interest.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Speaking of Orange.

Does the Orange Rocker 30 have reverb?

And is there much differene between the combo and the stack, volume wise?
Quote by Tomaz24
Speaking of Orange.

Does the Orange Rocker 30 have reverb?

And is there much differene between the combo and the stack, volume wise?

no it doesn't.
the AD30 does have reverb, and i heard it has better cleans but less gain than the rocker.

i think it wouldn't be much, the combo and stack are both 30 watts, the stack pushes more air but the difference will be small.
Quote by Tom!!
Well my budget is £600-ish (thats about $1000 i think...)

And im in the UK if thats what the guy above ment my my location (does it make a difference? )

it makes a major difference. If you were in the US, you could afford a mesa with your budget. here in the UK, you could barely afford the user manual with £600.

kustom coupe, maybe? or engl screamer/laney tt combo would also doubtless be worth a look.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ +1 , so horribly true .......
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108