Hello all,

Im completely changing a strat copy so it looks like some kinda EKO or other kitsch 60's pawn shop guitar. You'll have to wait for details

Anyway I have several toggle switches and want to know what wiring mods i can do with them, Im not positive of what type they are so ill just describe them:

-a big 3-way toggle switch with 6 lugs
-a big ON/OFF 2-way toggle switch with 4 lugs
-mini 2-way ON/ON toggles with 6 lugs (I have 3 of those)

sorry im not specific about them

anyway its a strat wiring set-up at the moment with master vol and the neck and tone pots etc, 5-way switch yada yada.

I have 2 Lace Sensor pups im gonna put in the neck and bridge.

Ok here goes...

I want only one tone control (master), I want series/parallel, phase switch and finally a Rythmn/Lead switch (pots are in circuit when set to Rythmn, pots are bypassed when set to Lead)

NOW FINALLY....

Can someone tell me what I CAN do with the materials I have, and if anyone is feeling super-generous could you draw a diagram of how to do it?
If you do ill love you forever!!

Thanks for reading. Ill inform you all more about the project and show pics soon, goin painting now
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Last edited by buzz at Nov 5, 2007,
^Which lace sensors are they?
I basically did that same thing (aside from the wiring mods) with blue laces.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
install a phase in/out switch for each pickup. it would only sound different when using two pickups. that's the 2-way toggles.

i don't like "BIG" switches on my gutiar, but on/off 2-way toggle can be a bridge on switch, or a neck on i suppose.

the 3-way could be an on/off/on, or an on/on/on. check continuity.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
the Laces are Blue and Red.

i forgot to say i still have the 5 way strat switch, what can i do with that ( i only have two pickups now!)

Quote by ECistheBest
i don't like "BIG" switches on my gutiar, but on/off 2-way toggle can be a bridge on switch, or a neck on i suppose.

the 3-way could be an on/off/on, or an on/on/on. check continuity.

i dont really like big switches either but its all i have and itll add to the kitsch factor i guess! also having the 2way switch as a pup selector is not for me, thanks though.

for phase selection i thought id only need one switch?

the 3 mini 2-ways are ON/ON btw, dont know about the 3-way.

thanks for the replys!
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

no, phase selection you'd need all three switches. one for each pickup. and 6 lugs made it obvious it was on/on. 3-way switch can be either on/off/on or on/on/on. my money's on on/off/on though. on/on/on switches are difficult to find, and expensive.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
no, phase selection you'd need all three switches. one for each pickup. and 6 lugs made it obvious it was on/on. 3-way switch can be either on/off/on or on/on/on. my money's on on/off/on though. on/on/on switches are difficult to find, and expensive.

I have only two pickups, one for bridge and neck, each pickup has 3 wires from it too.

ok so what can I do with what I have?

any thoughts on the 5-way pup selector switch as im only gonna have 2 pups.

Im a wiring n00b btw, i just know some of the terms but other than that i havent much of a clue.

this is a project I started ages ago, abandoned it but now I wanna get it all done, tonight if possible, im not fussed on what it looks like or bothered about getting more parts. I just wanna do what I can with the stuff I have.

Thanks again for your help
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

is this right?? this seems as though it'll work with my current components.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

PICS BEFORE PAINTING

AFTER PAINTING

bear in mind this used to be a no-name black strat copy, I know the painting isnt the best but I intend on it to look thrashy and kitsch. (i intend on sticking some gaudy vinyl print on the pickguard ).

p.s. i need confirmation on the wiring diagram, just someone to say "yeah that diagram definately works" please.

OPINIONS??

<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

nasty painting

What grit did you use to sand it down? 10?
"I never liked those Deep Purples or those sort of things. I always hated it. I always thought it was a poor man’s Led Zeppelin"
// Angus Young

+1
Quote by ECistheBest
it's gold now?

yup (are you being sarcastic?).the headstock and neck are also painted gold.

Quote by Thewolf_and_man
nasty painting

What grit did you use to sand it down? 10?

I dunno what grit i used, dont care either cos ive already explained the reason behind the aesthetics in this thread.besides i already have a beautiful guitar

the wiring diagram.......pleeeeeeease?? anyone?
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

I want to say that the rhythm/lead switch is wired wrong. Well, not the switch itself, but the the tone knob isn't looking right to me.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by Will_Minus
I want to say that the rhythm/lead switch is wired wrong. Well, not the switch itself, but the the tone knob isn't looking right to me.

THANK YOU

can you tell for certain if its wrong? if so can you copy the image and make the adjustments? does the rest seem ok to you?

im ready to finish this guitar its only this wiring business thats holding me back, i need to be 100% the diagram is right cos if i wire it up,string it up and do all the intonation adjustments etc and it dont work, ill cry.......then throw it out the window
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

God, that's hideous.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Well first off, it looks like the wire going from the volume to the tone (via the switch) is a hot wire, when it's usually a ground wire.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

^^ i wouldnt know im just working from a diagram someone supplied me with a long time ago, can you edit the diagram so that it all electronically makes sense?

even if someone can suggest someone i can PM to ask them about the wiring would help, as ive said this wiring issue is slowing me down a lot.

aside from that, I have the guitar re-assembled, the tremolo tightened so its effectively ;ocked, also I bought the vinyl for the pickguard today so pics maybe later or tomorrow.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

i like it :P

how will the scratch plate go?
KAPTAINS - Coming Soon!
-
Epiphone G-400 Custom
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
-
Crybaby
Digitech Bad Monkey
EHX Little Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
Boss BF3
-
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Marshall G50RCD
yeah i tested it on my lap with most of it assembled and it did plunge neck first to the floor, but the lace pickups weight quite a bit each, so that with the wiring and pickguard shouldnt make it too neck heavy.

cheers for the positive comments guys, nice to hear
most people expect stuff in this forum to be 10A grade maple tops, with half the Indian oceans worth of inlays so i can see why this would not be to many of your tastes!!

Im going to shape the original pickguard (with a saw or something) so that it suits the guitars shape, then im gonna stick on the vinyl plastic stuff onto the pickguard. itll cover the 'guard entirely.

WARNING FOR WHEN I TAKE PICKS OF THE VINYL PATTERN, IT IS VERY OBNOXIOUS LOOKING
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

ask m_hedborg to make you a diagram. He made me one a few weeks back for my custom guitar and it worked great.
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Custom ESP Explorer (in the making!)
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop Crybaby, Deltalab Md-1, rd 1, Morley optical Volume
If it's still neck-heavy when you've put in all the hardware.. you could bolt on a piece of lead or something on it's ass. Or hack up the headstock a bit and take off the tuner covers. My squier tuners look kickass without the covers, I'm sure yours will do too.
^^^cheers i have PM'd him

^^ no i took the bridge and all the hardware off before painting

^yeah i was thinking of sticking something to the trem cavity or something to weigh it down...taking off the tuner covers sounds intriguing though, how do i do that?
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

I'm not sure if it's actually possible with your tuners (don't see 'em anywhere).
I took mine off by completely removing the tuners and then just putting them back on without the covers. Should save you some weight, but it might affect smoothness of your tuners in the long run so you'll need to oil it occasionally.
^ i wont bother then because itll save very little weight taking them off, and if it disrupts tuning stability then i wont bother.

UPDATE: ok i have pretty much the guitar put together: neck is on, bridge is on with the springs tightened so the bridge cant move. one of the screw shafts for the Low E tuner snapped while I was tightening it so ill have to take one off a Squier I have lying around.

All im waiting for is the wiring diagram to be veified because theres no way (for my own sanity) am i sticking that pickguard on and stringing up only to find the electronics are dead!!

also does anyone know what kind of wood the body is?

thanks
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

I just looked over the diagram again, and it's looking right to me. I give it the go-ahead. If it doesn't work, let me know and I'll try to figure something out for you.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

ok mate!! thanks very much!!

now wheres that wire........

the 3 mini-toggles i have are the right ones for this wiring setup yeah??
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

3-way toggles? I have no idea what they would do if they were on/on/on.

I recommend buying some nice DPDT on/on switches.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

How come there's a ground on the pickup selector switch?

Also, if you're going for that birght, untouched tone with the lead/rhythm switch I'd use an SPST before the hot lead gets to the volume pot and take it right to the output. looks less complicated and you don't have to wire a little jumper in there. They're no fun. plus I don't think that makes any sense, if it's a standard on/on DPDT.
o-----volume pot
o-----hot
o-----output
Quote by Ryzekiel
How come there's a ground on the pickup selector switch?

Also, if you're going for that birght, untouched tone with the lead/rhythm switch I'd use an SPST before the hot lead gets to the volume pot and take it right to the output. looks less complicated and you don't have to wire a little jumper in there. They're no fun. plus I don't think that makes any sense, if it's a standard on/on DPDT.
o-----volume pot
o-----hot
o-----output

ok thanks, could you edit and repost the diagram for me??
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

ok while im waiting.....heres the vinyl stuff im gonna cover the pickguard with. I might get a different pattern though because even I think this is a bit much
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Quote by ECistheBest
^they don't look like tiles at all.

I think they do.. I thought I was looking at a kitchen wall at first
The gold with the blue and white isnt gonna look good imo. I think i have seen some guitars covered in stuff like vinyl and wallpaper, but a gold guitar like that isnt gonna look good. And doing a pickguard is gonna require a template and router. Not as easy as u think.
Otherwise, its pretty....creative. The shape isnt exactly attractive, and a pickguard is gonna make it a bit weird i think. But its what u wanna do.

As far as the wiring, if u get DPDT switches, u could just use push-pull pots, and thatll easily save some room and clean up the pickguard.
Quote by Kanthras
I think they do.. I thought I was looking at a kitchen wall at first

*sarcasm*
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Will_Minus
I just looked over the diagram again, and it's looking right to me. I give it the go-ahead. If it doesn't work, let me know and I'll try to figure something out for you.
I drew that diagram for someone months ago, maybe years. The rythmn/lead switch just takes the tone and volume out in the "lead" position. The series/parallel switch gives you just that in the pickup selector middle position.
These go to eleven...
Quote by ECistheBest
*sarcasm*

REALLY??!

*sarcasm*

anyway...
regards the pickguard im gonna reshape the original pickguard itself and stick that stuff (or probably the same stuff of a different colour/pattern) onto the pickguard. are people not getting the fact that thats how im gonna do it?

thanks for the push/pull pot suggestion but trust me its IMPOSSIBLE to get stuff for this project anywhere even relatively close to where i live. I really just wanna use the swithches and stuff i already have.

thanks for opinions (good and bad!)
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Ohh and the pickup selector in the diagram is a 3 way "Tele" style, not a "strat" one like you have.
These go to eleven...