Hey guys I was wondering if any of UG'ers can help me with my essay. My question is, how do I cite a sentence? I got back my essay and one of the corrections I had were that I need to cite a couple of sentence on my paper. The sentence that I needed to cite was:

"Unlike the normal work of a CPA (Certified Public Accountant) the primary job of a Forensic Accountant is to basically look behind the numbers and see if there's anything odd or even illegal going on in terms of finances in an investigation of a person, company, and the like."

how do I go about citing a sentence like this?
In parentheses at the end of the sentence, write the source that you got that information from.
Quote by JuicyMango
In parentheses at the end of the sentence, write the source that you got that information from.

yeah but see, in my actual essay that this sentence is in, it doesnt have the quotation marks on it its just a regular sentence
It doesn't matter. You still got that information somewhere. Just because you aren't quoting a source doesn't mean that you didn't use a source.
Quote by JuicyMango
It doesn't matter. You still got that information somewhere. Just because you aren't quoting a source doesn't mean that you didn't use a source.

so how should it look like cited? could you show me? my source was from a forensic aco****ant that I interviewed
if its from a book, at the end of the sentence you put: (Author's Last name, pg #) before the period

EDIT: oh, for an interview you just put (Person Interviewed's Last Name) before the period, and if you want you can put the date in the parentheses too after the name
Member #3 of the Breaking Benjamin Fanclub PM Electric7 to join.
Last edited by pavel at Nov 5, 2007,
Pavel is correct. That holds up for anything, not just a book, that has page numbers.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by Nemesis75
so how should it look like cited? could you show me? my source was from a forensic aco****ant that I interviewed

I've always been told to use parenthetical citations. That means that you cite the source you got the information from in parentheses. What you source is an abbreviated form of the actual source in your bibliography. For example:

Your source is the website "http://www.ultimate-guitar.com", and what you're citing is information about guitars.

So your bibliography might look something like this:

Ultimate-Guitar.Com. Nov. 5, 2007 [this is date of access]. <http://www.ultimate-guitar.com>

Then, when you write your sentence "Guitars are great," you'd put (Ultimate-Guitar.com) at the end of the sentence.

Make sense?

EDIT: Also, Pavel is correct for the book sourcing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis75

I've always been told to use parenthetical citations. That means that you cite the source you got the information from in parentheses. What you source is an abbreviated form of the actual source in your bibliography. For example:

Your source is the website "http://www.ultimate-guitar.com", and what you're citing is information about guitars.

So your bibliography might look something like this:

Ultimate-Guitar.Com. Nov. 5, 2007 [this is date of access]. <http://www.ultimate-guitar.com>

Then, when you write your sentence "Guitars are great," you'd put (Ultimate-Guitar.com) at the end of the sentence.

Make sense?

its a good thing you quoted him telling you that its an interview and yet you give him instructions on citing an internet source
Member #3 of the Breaking Benjamin Fanclub PM Electric7 to join.
Wait, it's an interview? I don't know then.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by pavel
its a good thing you quoted him telling you that its an interview and yet you give him instructions on citing an internet source

Whoops. I thought that he was asking in general. You covered the interview citations anyways...