Hi,

I've been playing acoustics for +9 yrs but am completely new to electrics, I was recently given a squire strat and after plugging it in noticed it's buzzes.. a lot.
I figure this is just due to the cheap electronics used in the squire and so am setting about fixing it up. I know this guitar is largely built of well.. firewood but i'm not about to go out and buy a new one so would like to replace the pickups and electronics to provide a better sound.

I've no idea what type of squire it is other than it has a volume & 2 tone knobs, along with 3 pickups (2 horizontal, one diagonal) and a switch with 5 positions. What i've noticed is that, when the switch is in certain positions I can drop alternate tone knobs to 0 to remove the chronic buzz.

Are there any good tutorials/guides to replacing the electronics in a squire and does anyone have any recommendations for replacement pickups etc? My flat-mate has a delonge strat with seymour duncan pickups, these sound nice. could I just buy a set of these and drop them in?

All advice is graciously received, thanks.
even if you replace the electronics, you still have sticky tuners, an unreliable bridge, and a handful of other problems with a squire starter guitar. I wouldn't recommend modding it. I have one of these sitting somewhere in my house. I'd just sell it and put that money plus your modding money into buying a decent guitar.
Quote by WantToLearn
what is poon?
i agree with bobbywheels. put your money into something a lil better than a squire. itll be worth it
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez RG550

Vox AD30VT
Take it apart and check all the connections, especially the grounds. My Std Tele buzzed like crazy and I fixed it by making sure the ground on the bridge was intact.
Thanks guys,

I'm not really wanting to buy a new guitar (i know it's crap).

fly135: How would I go about checking the connections? I've got a meter, and am mor than willing to rip apart the squire but what should I actually be looking out for?
Quote by digitalpencil
Thanks guys,

I'm not really wanting to buy a new guitar (i know it's crap).

fly135: How would I go about checking the connections? I've got a meter, and am mor than willing to rip apart the squire but what should I actually be looking out for?
Is the buzz affected by where you touch? On my Tele the buzz would go quiet if I touched the controls. But it wouldn't go quiet by touching the strings or bridge. The ground wire to the bridge is not soldered but just touches the plate. It was oriented where it didn't touch. You can unscrew the control plate and maybe touch around inside and listen for changes. Measure continuity from the cable jack to the bridge and control plate.