OK so I'm getting pretty good at guitar, but I wanna get better. Right now I can play things like Hand Of Blood by BFMV, lots of Killswitch and LOG, you know, semi-technical metalcore.

But I really wanna get better. Like Machine Head/SiKth/Protest the Hero etc.

SO I was asking a friend about any songs/guitarists I should study, he recommended the Paul Gilbert lessons as it would get me faster, improve my practical theory and arpeggios etc.

So does anyone have any other recommendations? I've downloaded a few Dream Theater and Yngwie Malmsteen stuff, but it's still a bit above me, so any particular techniques/songs etc I should study in general?

Thanks.
work on breaking your muscle memory. Well not so much breaking it but expanding it I should say. When working with the same scales alot you brain kinda gets used to making you hand do the same fingering shapes. I always recomend practicing all 4 shapes going up and down the strings. Basically index, middle pinky. Index ring pinky, index ring pinky with a fret in between the ring and pinky and index middle ring pinky. Do one of those shapes on allstrings down then up and then do the next etc. It will build strength and give you more options while playing.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
well you could check out yngwie's trasncription of the 5th caprice in GW
Satan isn't inside a guitar pick. He's in here. In our hearts. He's what makes us not want to go to work, or excercise or tell the truth. He's that little voice in your mind that says "Fuck you" to the people you hate.
try playing more varied things, even though it isn't what you aim for I believe it can make you quite a bit better in the style you seem to be focusing on.
Quote by Pharoah
Can God create a hot dog so hot even he couldn't eat it?

Lyke omg D@ @p0OcpLpSYe.
Quote by Kroach
try playing more varied things, even though it isn't what you aim for I believe it can make you quite a bit better in the style you seem to be focusing on.

Any recommendations? I mean I already listen to a mix of everything from like Bloc Party to Opeth.

I'd really like to learn some jazz or blues, any recommendations for that maybe?
Quote by Heavens_To_Hell
Any recommendations? I mean I already listen to a mix of everything from like Bloc Party to Opeth.

I'd really like to learn some jazz or blues, any recommendations for that maybe?

I'm sorry I don't know much jazz or blues myself , but I enjoy doing laid back jams on jazzy chord sequences, well I'm off to see the second-half +++
Quote by Pharoah
Can God create a hot dog so hot even he couldn't eat it?

Lyke omg D@ @p0OcpLpSYe.
Practice and learn songs by Machine Head, SiKth and Protest the Hero etc.

If you can't play them now, but you learn to play them, you've gotten better right?

Just take them slow

Edit: For recomendations for blues and jazz, go to the blues and jazz forum
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums