what are pre-amp's and power amps sections? for example what does it mean by 5 - 12AX7 preamp tubes and 2 - 6l6 power amp tubes?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
Boss ML-2 Metal core pedal
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
That 12AX7 and 6L6 are just the models of the tubes themselves and the number before them are how many of them there are, but I dont wanna misslead you about power and pre amp so I just keep quiet for now
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
The preamp is the part of the amp that processes the signal from your guitar, and the power section powers the preamp and speakers.
In that amp, u have 5 tubes for sound processing and 2 tubes to power everything. 12AX7 is the type of tube, as is 6L6. There are other kinds of tubes that do things to the sound, like EL84 power.
There's a sticky at the top of this forum called "All you ever wanted to know about TUBES!" All your answers are in there.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
in an amp, the signal of the guitar is very very weak, it is sent first of all through a pre amp, this amplifies it a fair bit and can add more gain to your signal, it is then passed to the power amp, where it is amplified big time and then causes the speakers to vibrate.

Tubes just amplify the signal by changing the flow of electrons in the current and act in a very similar way to a transistor, but sounds warmer and less digital (or so the argument goes)

You have different types of tubes 12AX7 for example, is a type of pre amp tube (smaller than power amp tubes) and 6L6 are used in the power amp.

Each type of tube has slightly different properties giving different sounds and if you check the stickies there's a detailed thread on that.

Now I'm no expert but I think what I said is largely correct.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD