I am new to electric guitar and I am thinking of getting a Mexican Strat or a Fender HSS strat. I have played acoustic for a little over a year now so I still consider myself a noob. I just play at home and will never gig or anything like that. I play a lot of chili pepper stuff, and softer rock...the hardest rock i would play would be something like Nirvana. I am not into metal or hard rock like that.

What would you suggest for an amp for home use? I want it to be loud enough, but I dont need to blow the house down with it.

Thanks in advanced!
Vox AD15VT or 30VT depending on how loud you need it.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by stephen_rettie
maybe epi valve junor

would also be worth a look. Or the Harley Benton GA5 (same amp, just with a tone knob)
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
For a very first guitar amp I would recommend the VOX AD30VT.

For those about to recommend the Epiphone Valve Junior, just remember how much of a one trick pony that is. For someone just starting electric guitar, the more versatile the amp the better.

It's once a guitarist knows exactly what tones they're after that they should look into valve amps. Until then they should be able to fiddle around with a variety of effects and tones so they know what to save up for in the future. Basically threadstarter, I think you should disregard any valve amps such as the Epiphone Valve Junior that I'm sure many will recommend.

just my 2 cents of course though.
what's your budget?
what music are you interested in playing?
do you see yourself jamming or in a band in the next year?

edit: scratch that 2nd question, just re read

vox ad series would be perfect unless you have a massive budget

bedroom exclusively -> AD15VT
bedroom and jamming -> AD30VT
bedroom, jamming and small gigs -> AD50VT

of course they get more expensive so you are limited by budget
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Last edited by Storm_Bringer_ at Nov 5, 2007,
Go with the Drive CD100, its just a practice amp but its not to small and quiet. It nice and light weight and I got it for like $40 on Musicians Friend. Ive had it for about 2 years now and its just like new.
On that(^) note, i like the Roland Cube amps. Good sound, and the smallest amps around for the wattage. Voxs also have a good sound, and i like em alot as well. Altho i dont know how u would feel about a shiny metal grill over it.

BTW, good choice on the electrics. go with the HSS Strat. U can definately get all the tones u want out of it, and Nirvana should be easy to get.
Quote by qotsa1998
Altho i dont know how u would feel about a shiny metal grill over it.

Well, sound should be more important than looks. And you can always change the metal grill for a genuine Vox coth grill. Here is a pictorial guide to change the metal grill: http://duhvoodooman.com/AD30VT/spkr_grill.htm

By the way, I'd go with the VOX. You get 11 amps models and 11 effects. So, when you get pro and know what you are looking for, you could get an all tube amp and buy some pedals with just the effects you want.

++salas++
definately go with a valve junior more than loud enough for home plus if you put about 2 dolalrs worth of parts into it it will sound godly
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
what's your budget?
what music are you interested in playing?
do you see yourself jamming or in a band in the next year?

edit: scratch that 2nd question, just re read

vox ad series would be perfect unless you have a massive budget

of course they get more expensive so you are limited by budget

Sorry for not being specific on the budget. I guess i would like to get the cheapest amp possible that would still sound good in my house/room. I am spending quite a bit on the guitar already (I will prob be buying a mexican strat) and i have about $500 max to spend. I just contacted a guitar store and the strat will be over 400$ already.
^Find a used Strat, mate! Just don't pay more than $300.

I'd reccomend an Epiphone Valve Junior, one trick poney as it is. Mix in an OD, and you've got a few more tonal options. I had a Valvetronix, and it was fun to play with, but I wished for the longest time I could find something without all the knobs and just the tone. That's just me.
fender blues junior

and btw.. you should save up more money. coz buying a good guitar and a cheap amp is just the wrong way to go. imo a good amp is just as important as a good guitar. you won't be satisfied with the tone you get. maybe the first 2-3 months but after that you will regret it just as i did, trust me. so my advice whould be that you save up some more money and just buy an equally good amp.. as stated above a vox or a blues junior would do it.
Guitars:

Fender Mexican HSS Strat (Sunburst, Maple Neck)
- /w custom handwound John Mayer pickups - thx cord!

Amp:
Hughes & Kettner Matrix 100 Combo (practice amp)
Fender '73 Twin Reverb (main amp)

boss bd-2 (keeley modded)
Last edited by samstah at Nov 6, 2007,
Quote by samstah
fender blues junior

and btw.. you should save up more money. coz buying a good guitar and a cheap amp is just the wrong way to go. imo a good amp is just as important as a good guitar. you won't be satisfied with the tone you get. maybe the first 2-3 months but after that you will regret it just as i did, trust me. so my advice whould be that you save up some more money and just buy an equally good amp.. as stated above a vox or a blues junior would do it.

Thanks for the advise...I heard the same thing before, but I want an amp to get me by for the nest little while and then I will buy a better one. I was thinking of getting the guitar with a crappy amp and play around with that for a few months and then upgrade to a better amp when I have the money for it. Are there any cheap amps that can get me by for a while?
Quote by mercinariesgtr
definately go with a valve junior more than loud enough for home plus if you put about 2 dolalrs worth of parts into it it will sound godly

i agree 150% with this guy.

great amp to start with for a nOOb, and easily customizable to produce some incredible sounds as you become more experianced, and as your ear improves.
I like the 5 watt tube combos, especially the Palomino. For solid state Peavey Transtubes are the best, followed by Cubes.
Valve Junior, or the Fender Blues Junior, but i think it's a little dearer.

Any of the 5-8 watt valve combos will be best.

Check out the Peavey Royal 8 - seems like a good wee amp.
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
Quote by Storm_Bringer_

Best bet is the AD30VT. It's designed with an attenuator on the back so that you can actually get nicer tones than the 15 at lower volumes, but you still have the power on tap to jam and even play small gigs. When the time comes to upgrade your amp, the AD30 will serve as a faithful backup that can handle band practice.

I also agree on the HSS Strat concept, for the same reason you should get the Valvetronix over a small tube combo: versatility. The two together will give you a wide range of sound.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.